Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 838 839 [840] 841 842 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2105548 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #12585 on: July 06, 2016, 09:50:27 pm »

Swords are pretty good, at least way back in the .40d days... also attacking folk with the flat side of any weapon is perfectly legit, why do you think it's silly?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12586 on: July 06, 2016, 10:26:01 pm »

Because the AI has no sense of when to do it, they aren't balanced to properly represent the times when it would be viable due to opportunity/risk/timing, and there is never a good time to turn your impossibly-sharp-should-probably-cause-nuclear-fission-by-cutting-the-air-but-is-as-dense-as-cork adamantine battle axe sideways and dink someone with the side of it.

leafbarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident pokemon fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Mewtwo mod
« Reply #12587 on: July 06, 2016, 10:28:19 pm »

It's impressive because swords are awful.

Battle axes (with the flat/haft attacks removed due to them being stupid) > picks > vanilla axes > swords (with flat/haft attacks removed, long > 2-hand > short) > swords > spears (unless huge target with vital organs, naturally with flat/haft attacks removed) > daggers and such.

War hammer > mace > heavy shield > corpse > a bag of water > maul on the other hand.
Well, regarding having flat attacks and such removed, I very very very very VERY rarely use unaimed attacks, so I couldn't care less about those.
Quote from: leafbarrett
They can do whatever the heck they want. That's why they are nobles, cause they CAN.
King Henry the IV or something had a lot of wives, most of whom he executed. Because he could.
A ton of them mass-murdered Jews and Muslims. CAUSE THEY COULD.
A roman emperor made his horse a noble, cause he could.
And I modded them all out of existence, because I could.
sig text

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12588 on: July 06, 2016, 10:35:26 pm »

Kamuk had converted  all remaining apple wood logs into barrels. With these in tow, he began swimming downstream from the forest camp. Since he's in taiga though, he kept the swim short, after the thaw and before noon had a chance to wane.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
He's done enough swimming lately to reach legendary (lvl 15) on this swim. It's not just the fishing. It's also the camp location as he's crossed the river many times. It all adds up. Way back upon reaching acccomplished swimmer (lvl 10), toughness had advanced to high. Before that, endurance had reached high after some intermittent, yet persistent jogging. Of course both were also helped by any of the combat done while hunting. Kamuk didn't use the drowning method, which has its charm. Using drowning while swimming to boost toughness and endurance when a character has just started, is like doing heavy singles when it's far better to be doing 5x5. Makes more sense to build the foundation. Swimming and jogging mixed in with combat is fairly organic and in keeping with RP. There's no sudden leap.

After spending the night at the hillock Gatecut, Kamuk arrived at Matchbolted with superior endurance from the swim and some extra jogging. He ignored the two asterisks to the east which were clearly loitering night trolls.
He used the first exploits of this run by using the infinite booze trick. He filled all 4 of his barrels with 100 units of dwarven wine, rum, beer, and ale. While milling around, it was discovered that this fortress was the seat of power for this region, with 15 groups in contention. A noble slayer would have been quite pleased to find everyone in the same place. The game of course refused to completely save on 5 different occasions as a way of crowning the moment:
So all the conversations with the who's who of wherever and gift giving were lost after the first crash. The other 4 crashes involved Kamuk attempting to ferry out his booze stocks. The 6th attempt was the successful one.

Back at the unnamed forest camp, after some more renovation to accommodate the new barrels, while standing on top of a campfire during a clean up, Kamuk dropped the exceptional cedar bow into the fire along with a variety of unused wolf parts. That didn't matter very much, but it was funny given the preceding antics.

His description has changed to broad and muscular @ high strength, superdwarven agility with a 3.105 sprint speed. Prior, he was broad with a little fat. I guess that last bit of swimming put him over.
Descriptions themselves only seem important in relation to possible gaits and for measuring stat growth.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12589 on: July 06, 2016, 10:43:01 pm »

Battle axes (with the flat/haft attacks removed due to them being stupid) > picks > vanilla axes > swords (with flat/haft attacks removed, long > 2-hand > short) > swords > spears (unless huge target with vital organs, naturally with flat/haft attacks removed) > daggers and such.

War hammer > mace > heavy shield > corpse > a bag of water > maul on the other hand.
Well, regarding having flat attacks and such removed, I very very very very VERY rarely use unaimed attacks, so I couldn't care less about those.
Yeah, but npc's do, as do fort mode combatants.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12590 on: July 06, 2016, 11:29:20 pm »

Yeah, but npc's do, as do fort mode combatants.

I've been leaving the weapons.txt unmodded. Those slaps have been incredibly useful in prior runs as they get a little work in without KOing the critter. 43.04 though has made them kind of deadly.

But yeah, the only time I'll use directional movement to attack is for dislodging weapons, otherwise it's always manual aimed. Auto-attack has the downside of giving the opponent an attack of opportunity (cyan !) that will beat your auto-defense, even with a favorable stat gulf.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12591 on: July 06, 2016, 11:35:04 pm »

I fare just fine with swords. Thing is, which some creatures you should STAB, not slash. If the target is kobold size or smaller, slash to your heart's content. Pommel, shaft, or haft strikes are also more useful than you'd think, if you're using copper or silver.

Flat slaps are largely just to troll your target though. Then again, stuns happen more often, so it might be useful if you WANT to leave your enemy alive.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

leafbarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident pokemon fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Mewtwo mod
« Reply #12592 on: July 07, 2016, 12:53:05 pm »

I fare just fine with swords. Thing is, which some creatures you should STAB, not slash. If the target is kobold size or smaller, slash to your heart's content. Pommel, shaft, or haft strikes are also more useful than you'd think, if you're using copper or silver.

Flat slaps are largely just to troll your target though. Then again, stuns happen more often, so it might be useful if you WANT to leave your enemy alive.
My experience is that any major body part with a thick hide or armor, you're better off stabbing unless you have a really strong sword material and good Strength.
Quote from: leafbarrett
They can do whatever the heck they want. That's why they are nobles, cause they CAN.
King Henry the IV or something had a lot of wives, most of whom he executed. Because he could.
A ton of them mass-murdered Jews and Muslims. CAUSE THEY COULD.
A roman emperor made his horse a noble, cause he could.
And I modded them all out of existence, because I could.
sig text

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12593 on: July 08, 2016, 03:10:00 pm »

Fighting a jabberer with an andesite spear. Bad burd, diiiie.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Haskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Iä! Shub-Niggurath!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12594 on: July 08, 2016, 03:31:13 pm »

There a reason for these weird clusters of houses and cloth shops in the farmland areas of towns? I always find them by accident 'cause there's no way to tell on the map, and for some reason the buildings always have priests in them, instead of like, traders and farmers.
Tell me, have you seen the Yellow Sign?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12595 on: July 08, 2016, 03:39:33 pm »

There a reason for these weird clusters of houses and cloth shops in the farmland areas of towns? I always find them by accident 'cause there's no way to tell on the map, and for some reason the buildings always have priests in them, instead of like, traders and farmers.

You can see them in fast-travel mode if you hit the m key, to change from viewing a list of nearby buildings to the zoomed-out fast travel map.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12596 on: July 08, 2016, 05:08:31 pm »

Sometimes you can see them, not always. Only the site map export shows them consistently.

Weirdly, almost every hamlet has a well, I won't say every one for sure, as they might sometimes show up without one, but said well isn't always associated with the houses.

Haskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Iä! Shub-Niggurath!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12597 on: July 08, 2016, 05:18:00 pm »

Hm. Alright, cool.

It's just strange. Like, two houses and a cloth shop, every time, on the outer areas of the town where buildings aren't usually, and they all have one priest in them. I've seen this like, five times.
Tell me, have you seen the Yellow Sign?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12598 on: July 08, 2016, 06:26:46 pm »

So, this troglodyte recruit decided to just fuck off to swim in the coast.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #12599 on: July 08, 2016, 06:33:48 pm »

So, I, uhh...

Umm...

Uhh.
Pages: 1 ... 838 839 [840] 841 842 ... 1104