Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 836 837 [838] 839 840 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2105593 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #12555 on: July 02, 2016, 02:59:28 am »

So, I'm finally testing a "add magic interactions" mod I've had shelved for a long time. Back before the bookwriting and library stuff, I tried it out and found that without towers, the slabs would get lost in worldgen.

Now that info gets copied and spread better, I'll test and see how well it works without having the "ability to build a tower" method.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12556 on: July 02, 2016, 03:53:58 am »

Got ambushed by some clowns my retired fort let loose. Smoke trail of a fireball whizzing past was immediately visible. I NOPE'd the heck out of there on my ≡willow minecart≡, leaving my two companions to fend for themselves. I see an announcement about one of my companions (bowman) being hit by a fireball, a clown hitting itself with its own breath attack, and one clown striking down another.

A hill blocks my escape, and I move at 0.2 speed on foot with all the stuff I carry. I try to sneak away, but it's no good. The clown is still heading straight for me and gaining. Thankfully I pass by the other companion (pikeman) on the hill and he distracts the clown long enough for me to make it to the top and start speeding away again (amongst more fireball trails.)

I head away in travel mode and notice... I'm being chased down! I try to outrun, but they keep a steady distance. I stop at a temple in a nearby hamlet, hoping that it will be enough to lose my pursuer, but then...

...the pikeman comes into view. He had somehow survived and was just trying to rejoin me all along. No sign of the bowman, but the agreement still exists so maybe he's also alive somehow.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 03:56:20 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12557 on: July 02, 2016, 07:30:01 am »

This is the 5th and final camp created for now.

Kamuk fast traveled from one location to another to lay the groundwork so he could explore in slow travel from one point to the next, always knowing there was a place to stay.

Kind of enjoying the inclusion of the environment into these builds. The easternmost seaside camp incorporated the two trees in the area. This central forest camp involved both a willow tree, a silty clay wall and one door that opens up into the adjacent river. He should probably craft a barrel to store dwarven ale. 

leafbarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident pokemon fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Mewtwo mod
« Reply #12558 on: July 02, 2016, 11:05:49 am »

that's.....interesting....you think it would be dead by now...

have you tried going for the legs or gouging out its eyes?
I should clarify - it's a zombie.
Quote from: leafbarrett
They can do whatever the heck they want. That's why they are nobles, cause they CAN.
King Henry the IV or something had a lot of wives, most of whom he executed. Because he could.
A ton of them mass-murdered Jews and Muslims. CAUSE THEY COULD.
A roman emperor made his horse a noble, cause he could.
And I modded them all out of existence, because I could.
sig text

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12559 on: July 02, 2016, 11:18:39 am »

Well, doh. Turns out I forgot to add [IS_SECRET:MUNDANE_RECORDING_POSSIBLE] to the magic interactions. So while they now seem to generate without ALWAYS getting lost (one did, presumably due to the learner later becoming a night creature spouse), they don't propagate.

Wait, no. I already DID that! And it still doesn't propagate much. Fuck.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 11:22:42 am by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

leafbarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident pokemon fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Mewtwo mod
« Reply #12560 on: July 02, 2016, 11:38:03 am »

So, in overrunning the landscape, the zombies have abandoned their camp, so I decided to take a look.

yep. This one tile seems to have somewhere around 70 or 80 chests/bags, too, and there's plenty of tiles with things in them.

EDIT: Correction, closer to 90 bags. There's loads and loads of steel armor here and I can't wear a single fucking piece of it because it's all too big for me.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 09:13:45 pm by leafbarrett »
Quote from: leafbarrett
They can do whatever the heck they want. That's why they are nobles, cause they CAN.
King Henry the IV or something had a lot of wives, most of whom he executed. Because he could.
A ton of them mass-murdered Jews and Muslims. CAUSE THEY COULD.
A roman emperor made his horse a noble, cause he could.
And I modded them all out of existence, because I could.
sig text

Heretic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12561 on: July 03, 2016, 01:20:15 am »

Now I understand why the game slowed to a crawl on the overworld here. They're not hostile for some reason, but...

...Words fail me.

HOLY ARMOK SHEET!
I'D LOVE T HAVE THE SAME ADVENTURE

Heretic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12562 on: July 03, 2016, 01:23:56 am »

PLS CAN GIVE AS THIS SAVE?
Sorry about capslock, but... i can't stoooop

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12563 on: July 03, 2016, 04:37:12 pm »

And now, back to the elf with the obsidian spear, having killed his second shoggoth. So many lairs, so little time. Another labyrinth is in view, so I'm hoping this one has a minotaur instead.

EDIT: "I'll eat you whole!" Yep, minotaur. Jackpot.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12564 on: July 03, 2016, 06:16:43 pm »

Renovated the central forest camp. Added a room for barrels (all holding various meat) and a natural storage area for extra clothes just below.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The great thing about frozen rivers is they act as freezers for your meat when you're not inclined to break down a carcass and store the parts in various barrels
EDIT: Ah, some of the frozen fish have begun rotting.
Frozen rivers also act as a dwarven omni-net. When it thaws, you have your catch. EDIT: Still true.

Attributes are coming along steadily. All body stats are at high or in the case of agility, superdwarven. It's kind of satisfying to take a peasant from a mix of white and green text on the attributes page and turn the white into green. Kamuk has willpower and intuition left to go. All good things.

Skills are slower. Kamuk isn't doing enough defending. This is all sound enough for those no natural skill semi-megas, but not for the lvl 6 natural skill critters out there if going with a stand and trade combat style.

Still, running mostly every melee combat with Zágod Rifot (Grip Block). It only feels exploity versus megas and titans. RP-wise, makes good medieval sense and as most 1-on-1s involved a good deal of grappling. From a practical standpoint, anything that slowly but surely works the (overpowered) wrestler skill is a good thing.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 07:50:29 pm by peasant cretin »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12565 on: July 03, 2016, 09:14:08 pm »

Scratch one dragon, and one treant. After I rack up a more impressive kill count I might do a retirement test and see just how MANY I have to purge.

EDIT: Zombie. Fucking hydra.

EDIT 2: Hah. How often does this happen?

EDIT 3: Speaking of shit you don't see every day...

« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 12:23:36 am by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12566 on: July 05, 2016, 03:37:46 am »

I have a problem.

I'm hooked on the minigame of "try to build something interesting as the magma and water and ice falls down around it" which this damn volcano glitch enables (generate with magma sea but no hell layer: volcano tubes don't spawn if you approach from the northwest heading southeast) and the access to the caverns with their interesting wood types and interesting bodies of water which then spill into the magma or freeze until it rises up to melt them from below.

I am a legendary woodcutter now. I took a minecart full of booze and swapped it into my backpack so I didn't have to carry around a ton of skins of booze, from that 833 units originally I'm down to 583 after hundreds of tell my shortest poem (a couplet), talk to god, chug some booze to get back to Focused! again.

I've got 5 or 6 of these scattered around the map on this character alone.

Though this is the first time I've done the sprouting flower-sparring structure like this, I usually kind of grow them more chaotically as I build upwards to ambush level on the surface and try to lure unwary goblin patrols to come play with me on top so I can chuckle as they plummet a hundred or more z into a mixture of ice, water, magma, wood, and stone... generally causing them to explode on impact.

Mostly though it's just the satisfaction of being able to balance the need for supports, starting wood supply (can't chop trees without letting the magma/water/ice advance too far and screw up any plans I had), the chaos from collapses, failed building steps, and still being able to pull out something aesthetically pleasing.

Symmetry is surprisingly difficult to achieve since the best initial sections are when the magma flow has an exposed side below the surface of all the other lava, limiting where you can expand before the nearest wavewall reaches you.

Putting up barrier walls helps, only gotta put one ring per level due to the lack of pressure, thankfully, but it's still tricky since you can screw over your wood supply and bad collapses on extended ring sections can screw you over badly.

This one was really deep with three levels of open space beside the magma flow from the bottom up to the top wavewall, and I saw the icewall coming in time to get the top end sealed before it hit me.

Decided to expand the wings on the bottom since the collapse slowed down due to the ice fuckery higher up, but I wasn't able to get a big full dance floor without risking having to scramble to shut out a wavewall or worse dealing with a magma incursion inside the structure.

Here's an in-progress collapse shot to hopefully make that a bit clearer.

Sometimes you find them where the tube disappears and the magma just sits there politely waiting until you do something (cut a tree, start building, etc) which is a nice head start, but if there is water involved it will generally be mid-collapse by the time you get down into the thick of it anyways.

Shame you can't designate the constructions from up on the rim!

Cthulhu_Pakabol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12567 on: July 05, 2016, 05:45:19 am »

Hrrgh, this game is so damn frustrating sometimes. I just can't seem to get my companions to stick around whenever I get in a fight.

Any suggestions on how I might do that?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12568 on: July 05, 2016, 06:13:54 am »

Companions will be:

1. Flighty cowards, frustrating at best to keep in a group, but oddly good at surviving. You'll bump into them days later in game after mourning their death and moving on.

2. Suicidal but eager, rescued kids tend to be this, wading into a river (never mind that they can't swim) to BITE an alligator which wasn't even looking at us? Come on dammit, I'm trying to bring you back to your parents so THEY can shank you (weird bug, don't ask) so at the very least couldn't you avoid jumping into the teeth and claws of every random animal we encounter?

3. Gung ho murdermachines, very rarely you'll find the capable and seasoned warriors who will hang with you, rush in when you do, hang back when you do, and generally make a glorious mess out of anything that picks a fight with you.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12569 on: July 05, 2016, 03:15:57 pm »

I am now the proud owner of a hill titan skull totem. Ahem, technically a tool with the same item size and item value as a totem, because trying to get a totem directly will make it fail to cite the skull material.

EDIT: "You have discovered a vault." Well now, I've been looking for a way to deal with these bronze colossi, as it seems I can't bash their heads in as an elf. I think I've found a solution...

EDIT 2: I have no time for follies such as earning the name of a demon. I killed the first of the guardians to face me, hammered out a shimmering metal spear, and took up its square shield to replace my wooden one.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 10:18:53 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Pages: 1 ... 836 837 [838] 839 840 ... 1104