Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 823 824 [825] 826 827 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2105957 times)

leafbarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident pokemon fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Mewtwo mod
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #12360 on: June 18, 2016, 10:21:06 am »

Testing a new civ, and

When the civ selector said there were cities in the ocean, I didn't think it meant it literally!
Quote from: leafbarrett
They can do whatever the heck they want. That's why they are nobles, cause they CAN.
King Henry the IV or something had a lot of wives, most of whom he executed. Because he could.
A ton of them mass-murdered Jews and Muslims. CAUSE THEY COULD.
A roman emperor made his horse a noble, cause he could.
And I modded them all out of existence, because I could.
sig text

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12361 on: June 18, 2016, 10:46:36 am »

That's the game not generating sites out on the water where it says they are.

If you make the civ start in like a saltwater marsh and prefer ocean biomes over all others that should result in them building on the coast, but not out on open water. You'll actually be able to visit coastal cities.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

leafbarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mewtwo mod
« Reply #12362 on: June 18, 2016, 11:21:57 am »

That's the game not generating sites out on the water where it says they are.

If you make the civ start in like a saltwater marsh and prefer ocean biomes over all others that should result in them building on the coast, but not out on open water. You'll actually be able to visit coastal cities.
What would cause the game to "generate" cities in the middle of the ocean, though?
They can do whatever the heck they want. That's why they are nobles, cause they CAN.
King Henry the IV or something had a lot of wives, most of whom he executed. Because he could.
sig text

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12363 on: June 18, 2016, 03:12:09 pm »

They won't yet, sadly.

THIS IS WHY I VOTED FOR CITY LAYOUT TO BE MOVED TO THE RAWS!

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #12364 on: June 18, 2016, 05:08:29 pm »

They won't yet, sadly.

I would definitely love if site layout was a raw-based thing - would be great for modders to have more unique and fitting sites for custom civs than what's available right now.

I'd love for my Greco-Roman inspired Titan race to have town squares with podiums for speeches and such, or for my Orcs to have large wooden+rock structures with bits of cloth, like in Warcraft 3/WoW.

In general having cities that aren't just filled with uniform boxes would be neat - more crude sites with tents and such would be good too for more primitive races.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12365 on: June 18, 2016, 05:17:26 pm »

It'd also be nice if you could assign certain professions to civ positions in the raws. Bit tired of the sheriff or militia captain who wears the same togs as the rest and is oddly unarmed and unshielded.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12366 on: June 18, 2016, 05:25:46 pm »

so in ghost adventurer news uhh building a coffin and sticking a skeletal elephantwoman corpse in there won't put to rest the ghostly elephant adventurer
went and ask my companions about where is cinnabum and got asked a side question instead

grab  the elephant ghost and wander back to the site to finally show off  this.

now I need to see if resurrection would bring this person back to playable.
so Rope now has a ghostly ex-adventurer elephant woman and a bunch of wolves for her small hut near a river.
oh and cinnabum is hauling a wooden axe I made during the creation of this screencap
this slimy elf is getting all kinds of friends.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #12367 on: June 18, 2016, 05:44:57 pm »

It'd also be nice if you could assign certain professions to civ positions in the raws. Bit tired of the sheriff or militia captain who wears the same togs as the rest and is oddly unarmed and unshielded.
Yeah, that too - I have a lot of war-like races modded in and it seems odd for their leaders to be as unskilled as the commoners.
Realistically they should have Legendary or atleast Great skill levels and the highest individual kill-counts, along with masterwork or even artifact equipment.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 05:48:57 pm by ZM5 »

leafbarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mewtwo mod
« Reply #12368 on: June 18, 2016, 06:11:08 pm »

They won't yet, sadly.

Although I agree with you, I misspoke; I was asking what I did wrong that would cause the game to try to do that.
sig text

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12369 on: June 18, 2016, 10:55:26 pm »

most likely making the civ's starting biome the ocean. If they start in the ocean, they will literally try to place sites out in the open water. Instead have them start in a marsh and let them move to the ocean as a matter of preference, and they'll build on the coastline.

However, it is good to see you no longer get placed underground, bodyswapped with a wild animal when starting an adventure in an oceanic non-existent site.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Legendary Marksdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying for Nakéen to stay this time (copium)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12370 on: June 19, 2016, 05:07:42 am »

My last adventurer, an Elephant man named Ari Bodymaster uses the corpses of his enemies as weapons.
At the start of his adventure, he headed to a kobold camp, beat them up, took two of their corpses. Then, he went to kill a cyclops using the kobold's corpses. Once he was done, he dropped the now useless kobold corpses in favor of the much heavier and deadlier cyclops corpse. Although I've since killed a forest titan, I have yet to find a corpse heavier than the cyclops'.
I'm not looking to acquire the most deadly corpse of them all. To do so, I need you guys to answer a question. Where can I find Giant Sperm Whales in adventure mode ?

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12371 on: June 19, 2016, 09:16:58 am »

While waiting around for the next release, I decided to start a tundra hunter, a dwarven peasant by the name of Borush Dimplecup from the dwarven civ "The First Paddles".

Completely forgot about the stone axe bug as I had rolled Borush without a weapon skill, just novice wrestler and fighter. Playing as ranger works with the starting copper spear, but a shield is always needed. Borush wasn't going to have any interaction with the local fortress, but this was the only place to find an axe. While in the fortress warehouse, Borush also picked up some copper mail (coif, shirt and leggings) for Stukos Bankanvil,  the militia commander of his hillock. After spending the night at the tavern, he made his way back home to Landstour.

Some distance away from Landstour, Borush cut down an oak tree to make a few oaken shields. The first was standard quality, the second, one tier of improvement up. That one he gave to Stukos, along with an iron short sword. He also made several bows of various wood. The civs queen, Ubbul Bootliving apparently made her home in Landstour and it seems Borush has known her all his life. The sensible thing to do was to give her an oaken bow and 25 siltstone arrows.

Borush departed via slow travel with ambush on, dressed in layers of leather animal skin,  armed with gingko wood bow, oaken shield strapped to his back,  and a backpack holding his iron spear, iron battle axe and 20 odd plump helmets. He headed toward the tundra tiles as muskoxen roamed out there. Currently the only item he has with an armor level are some troll leather leggings. While there were other leather armor options, Borush (like many other past winter rangers) is hoping to wear either reindeer or muskox leather armor.

At first, there was only one fox, a small blackbear, six wolves and two stoat jills and one stoat jack for several world map tiles of endless snow and tree as Borush weaved through the woods and tundra. When he thought he'd just head to the next hilllock empty handed, he came across a herd of muskoxen. Borush showered three of them with the last 25 wolfbone arrows he had. Because of the random nature of crafting, Borush would need to slaughter as many of the herd as possible. With just dabbling leatherworker skill, a character will generally create armor of some level of improvement, rarely creating a standard piece or a masterwork, which is everything within the spectrum of quality. For most this seems like a good thing, but with a character that shuns extravagance, this is not ideal. To minimize the number killed, Borush kills a muskox, butchers it, and then attempts to make armor before attacking the next. In the past wholesale culling did not yield the desired result. Here The kills count is luckily limited to two muskox which yield three leather. The second leather produces a standard piece. Of course, the third muskox leather produces a minor abomination of a helm.

Legendary Marksdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying for Nakéen to stay this time (copium)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12372 on: June 19, 2016, 10:02:49 am »

WOOHOO !

After swimming in the ocean aimlessly for a while (i told my companions to wait for me on the shore), I managed to find a giant sperm whale (and also some other fishy things that I killed, but whatever), track it down, kill it, and claim its corpse as my new weapon ! The thing is so dang heavy it slows me down to 0.099 walking speed, but it's worth it. Now I'm really eager to try it on some monster :3

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12373 on: June 19, 2016, 02:49:04 pm »

So, you're a rampaging bronze colossus adventurer. What do you do when you have a whole hamlet to depopulate, and your victims will all start fleeing if you enter a house to exterminate everything?

Simple. Set fires all about the entrances to seal the twats in their houses. Then just confidently stride through the fires, or jump atop them if you set campfires.

EDIT: "It is hot." Yeah, you tell the fucking snow and frozen river that.

EDIT 2: What the flying fuck.

Spoiler: screenshot (click to show/hide)

Those are all zombies by the way.

It does not help that I was listening to this at the time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeCdU1t4JGw

EDIT 3: 268 zombie kills later, and when I leave I get dropped out of fast travel by an EQUALLY MASSIVE bandit ambush. I gotta get out of this crazy town.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 04:17:14 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12374 on: June 19, 2016, 06:16:35 pm »

Spoiler: screenshot (click to show/hide)

Those are all zombies by the way.

The suspicious asterisk!

/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/
Mucking around with armorcrafting, Borush Dimplecup has come to that fork in the road  in regard to clothing.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The gamey allure of ultimate hoboism is far too great. Borush puts on several wardrobes as the semblance of RPG rangery roleplay fades and the dwarven version becomes clear.
Pages: 1 ... 823 824 [825] 826 827 ... 1104