Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 701 702 [703] 704 705 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2102743 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #10530 on: February 11, 2016, 10:23:02 am »

So, if you find a neat temple with a magma pond and no priests to ask about it, you might get the urge to drag a criminal out there and skip them across the magma.

IF YOU DO: DO NOT TRY TO MOVE CLOSER TO THE EDGE TO SEE IF YOU CAN SEE THEM WHEN THEY STOP SKIPPING!

I forgot that magma mist is a thing... somehow.

You are on fire!
Bleeding!

Oh shit.

Need water... *check inventory*

Dwarven Ale 3
Dwarven Rum 3
Dwarven Wine 2
Dwarven Beer 2

...hmmm, well, I don't wanna be holding this shit and on fire... may as well see if I can put myself out with it right?

Yes, I know this is incredibly stupid, hindsight is twenty twenty ok?

*pours the booze out, it disappears immediately so I grab my only fireproof container, a cyclops skull goblet with the ale, my last liquid, and start pouring/refilling it repeatedly*

Uh... doesn't look like the burning is getting worse... this might just wor- *BURST OF BOILING ALE*

FUCK!

WHY DID I DO THIS?

*whip my clothes off and chuck them down the hallway, don't want my masterwork gloves I found burning, don't want my unicorn hide boots and cloak burning either*

*whip off my armor and chuck it too, don't want searing hot metal up against my skin*

Shit... still melting, gotta go find water.

*check the door... YEP, MAGMA MIST IS STILL THERE*

Shit... shit shit shit...

*panic hustle into the tunnels, down a staircase and around to the side entrance*
*haul ass up around the temple spirals the full three stories to the surface*

I could just write a poem or something to heal, but I wanna see if I can survive and keep the scars.

*various dorfs going about their business as usual*

*large wall of bulky muscles and beard runs up, pouring blood, smoke, visibly aflame, and smelling fainly of sauteed pork?*

*without slowing down they keep going right over the next hill*

Thank you Toady, being able to check the travel map while bleeding let me plot a straight line to the nearest part of the river.

*get there... snow everywhere... it's frozen*

Welp, this is how I die then...

SNOW IS WATER!

*toboggan bare-ass across the river, leaving a trail of smoke and gore behind me*

*the bleeding finally stops*

Heh... hah ha ha ha, woo!

Walk back and collect my gear, talk to some of the folks I ran past, sadly I can't ask them what they thought of, you know... the whole nude burning dorf scooting past just now, but hey!

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10531 on: February 11, 2016, 11:27:06 am »

Max, please post a screencap your dwarf's description if there were marks left from the burning.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10532 on: February 11, 2016, 11:34:08 am »

Permafrost ended at the coast, and the journey across icecap just wasn't happening. Even if I didn't keep crashing, I couldn't put up with the long delays transitioning between 16 region tiles * an estimated 80 world tiles. Every time I crossed, all water initialized from 8 tiles orthogonally behind me. This means all of it defrosted up to the region border and refroze within 1 tick, while all tiles along the region border were deleted, all the way down to the seabed, and began refilling. So this whole vertical plane of water that, in a consistent world, would have stayed frozen all along swallows up 4 cores recalculating the dynamics of fluid that's only going to fucking freeze again!

So I backtracked up the coast to cross where there were enough steppy-stone islands to make a more circuitous crossing, which has so far cost me 10 of the 20 days I had until next full moon.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10533 on: February 11, 2016, 11:43:32 am »

technically my first bone figurine, notice that what ever name you give it won't pop up in the description.
some how Dank and Weed are suitable names.
now if someone makes an engrave everything advreaction that would be sweet.
oh I kinda wonder if this means we can write what ever we want in books now?
if this leads to wizard adventurers writing down magical spells for others to learn and read I'm down with that.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10534 on: February 11, 2016, 12:24:37 pm »

^I look forward to playing around with it once dfhack catches up, I'm glad I didn't fully rebuild artifake yet since this totally changes things.

Changes the reaction layout too apparently, I gotta reorganize my shit a lot with these categories I think.

@peasant cretin

What could go wrong?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I ended up melting the rest of the fat off my upper body when I killed a dragon that had just set some guy on fire beside it, so while I hurriedly tried to butcher it and grab the parts so I could travel away and heal the dude before he bled out I didn't think about the implications of my not being able to eat the balm of might I made from said dragon heart RIGHT after I made it, due to it being too hot.

So outside I carved it up and made my gear then went inside to drop the rest of the bones off til I got more leather to finish the stack off... and started melting and bleeding.

I figured that I would cool off so I just casually chatted with the folks in there while blood started pouring out of my armor... it stopped though, no worries folks, this kinda thing happens to me a lot apparently... sorry about the mess.

"Yeah, I melted the shit out of my head and legs, plus I burned my ear, neck, and lower body... no no, I'm ok, this is what we adventurers call a 'minor' injury."

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10535 on: February 11, 2016, 01:55:39 pm »

If you don't lose a hand, foot, or eye, it's not major enough. o3o

And yes, that's by player logic, not actually in-game logic. Fucked if I know exactly how the game defines a major injury, because I've been "mortally" wounded by bruised lungs and hearts and simply shrugged it off.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10536 on: February 11, 2016, 02:50:12 pm »

I tried to reach a dark fortress, just to try the new "open map everywhere" feature; as i get there, I find a group of dwarves and humans fighting two dozens of trolls.
I try to attack them, and I kill a couple; then, one of the trolls kills a human soldier while holding him by the armor, I think? Anyway, the third troll I find has an iron breastplate in his hand. I attack, he dodges; he attack, he hits my head with the armor, instant kill.

This was annoying only because it took me 5 minutes of battle, since the FPS were about 3-4 at best, to beat 2 trolls.
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10537 on: February 11, 2016, 02:52:23 pm »

I tried to reach a dark fortress, just to try the new "open map everywhere" feature; as i get there, I find a group of dwarves and humans fighting two dozens of trolls.
I try to attack them, and I kill a couple; then, one of the trolls kills a human soldier while holding him by the armor, I think? Anyway, the third troll I find has an iron breastplate in his hand. I attack, he dodges; he attack, he hits my head with the armor, instant kill.

This was annoying only because it took me 5 minutes of battle, since the FPS were about 3-4 at best, to beat 2 trolls.

Dark fortresses continue to have dank FPS, it seems? ;w;
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10538 on: February 11, 2016, 03:01:33 pm »

I should point out that I'm running the game on a PC that is basically just a step above a potato plugged into a monitor, so don't trust me about FPS...
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10539 on: February 11, 2016, 03:05:34 pm »

I should point out that I'm running the game on a PC that is basically just a step above a potato plugged into a monitor, so don't trust me about FPS...

Said to me and my 2009 toaster. XP
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #10540 on: February 11, 2016, 03:08:12 pm »

I found this pick on a zombie in a fortress. I never proved it, but I think there was a necromancer studying at the library.

This is the most damage I've ever done in one slash.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10541 on: February 11, 2016, 03:20:00 pm »

What, never bisected a dorf-sized foe with a short sword before? o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #10542 on: February 11, 2016, 04:14:11 pm »

Well, okay, it's the longest damage I've ever done.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10543 on: February 11, 2016, 04:24:40 pm »

True. I almost wish damage could be fleshed out (pun intended) such that a blow could cleave through an offending arm and into the upper body. Or right through one foe and into another.

You'd have to be full-on vampire/mooseman/vampire mooseman strong and/or packing adamantine for that sorta lunacy though. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10544 on: February 11, 2016, 05:35:45 pm »

A steel pick would be weighted right for a gob-kebab. Max strength for my wereform is 4k, which I'm probably not at yet but can be in another moon or so.
Pages: 1 ... 701 702 [703] 704 705 ... 1104