Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2099585 times)

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #1035 on: November 16, 2010, 01:04:49 pm »

Hopefully you haven't just become an outlaw...
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: November 16, 2010, 01:25:45 pm »

So Gyle Warblade, Hero of the Realm, ventured off to the wild Northwests to slay an Ice Titan, at the behest of the law giver of his realm, a giant feathered thing with poisonous breath.

The omens were bad from the moment Gyle and his party of 14 left the Capital. Rain beset them, and the hamlets and towns began to vanish. The party ran into a large mountain range, where it was known dwarves made their home. Perhaps foolishly, Gyle decided to find the dwarves, make contact, and perhaps find a place to rest free from the omnipresent rain.

Hours were spent clamoring over rocks, up and down valleys, and clinging to the side of mountain faces. The party eventually came to a gorge, cut by a river, where the entrance to the dwarf hold supposedly was. More hours were spent in futility searching the area for an entrance, and a way across the chasm and river. Blind, soaking wet, demoralized and exhausted, Gyle called for a night's rest on a small outcrop of rock on the mountain face.

It proved to be the latest in series of poor decisions.

Early in the morning, Gyle awoke to the sounds of battle. A horde of dwarves had ambushed them during the night! A confused and vicious melee broke out in the darkness. In moments, several of Gyle's companions were dead, but the dwarves died in equal numbers. Through the confused melee, Gyle caught side of their leader, but between the darkness, rain, and the narrow ledges, he lost sight of him.

It was later discovered the leader had died. The fight had cost Gyle half of his company, but he hadn't sustained any injuries in the process. After another frantic, angry, early-morning search for the entrance to the dwarf hold, Gyle decided it was time to return to a friendly fortress, where he later learned his party had struck down a notorious dwarven bandit.

(Seriously, where the hell are the entrances to the dwarf holds? No one seems to have a problem finding them in fortress mode ><)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 01:27:36 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: November 16, 2010, 01:40:56 pm »

you think thats bad i think that i may of sided with goblins over myliveing sheilds fellow heros.
that and there seem to be a civil war with the goblins.

that or thay just got sick of liveing out doors,fighting all the time or maybe it was that human town we put to the sword?

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: November 16, 2010, 03:33:31 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

:D
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: November 16, 2010, 03:42:22 pm »

Hopefully you haven't just become an outlaw...
Well, I have become a criminal in a certain human civ, but that was just because of the stupid trading bug.

Jakabite

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: November 16, 2010, 04:35:29 pm »

Wisho the axeman was a hero across the land, having killed night terrors and bandits alike. His lifetime companion was a simple thresher. A thresher, I hear you ask? Why? Well, this thresher is probably one of the most dangerous people in Wisho's world. The Thresher (capitalised, for he is known as The Thresher, and only The Thresher), in his first fight, killed a swordsman, using his trusty knife, without sustaining an injury. He did it quickly, and he did it by stabbing him right in the brain. Since then, he had killed many more foes, more than Wisho I would guess. However, just now, during a long journey to slay another evil-doer, Wisho and The Thresher's party of seven (they had picked up a few soldiers at the castle of a poetry obsessed lady earlier on, and recently a few more from the Lord who sent them on this journey), were ambushed by goblins. They came quickly, and without mercy, the first strike being the severing of the new bowman's hand.

A fierce battle raged. The Thresher never even had chance to take a single head before his left leg was chopped from under him. 'That's ok,' thought Wisho. He can hop. Then the right arm was gone. Wisho's face fell, as his quiet, reserved friend lost his ability to fight back. Then his left leg. Wisho stood, rolling from the slash of a goblin sword. He took the foot of one goblin. Vengeance for his friend. Before he could go any further though, the back of Wisho's bronze helmet was pierced by a single silver bolt from an unknown marksman. It went right through his brain, and with that he was dead. The rest of the party were killed during the battle.

killran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: November 16, 2010, 04:48:19 pm »

Going to kill a nightcreature whose lair is covered in the prepared brains, hearts and other organs/fat/bonemeal of previous adventures. Should be fun!

Milk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: November 16, 2010, 05:10:26 pm »

First time adventurer here.

Started adventure, picked up a quest, went to kill the thing, died.

Start again.

Started adventure, picked up a quest, went to kill the thing..  died.

Start again.

Started adventure, picked up a quest, went to kill the thing..  died.

Clearly I'm missing something here.

killran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: November 16, 2010, 05:28:18 pm »

Are you picking up any meatshields companions at the castle first?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: November 16, 2010, 06:15:10 pm »

Do you put any points into Agility?

Any into a Weapon skill?

Any points into Fighter?

Any points into Dodge?

It's worth noting, I've gotten some quests right after starting that sent me against, comparatively speaking, a badass villain. One time my first bandit quest was against a goblin lasher who danced circles around me and my two companions, and dropped all three of us like it was nothing. Another time, my second bandit managed to dodge my first 6 attacks, and I avoided his first six. Then in a flurry he hits me in leg, knocks me down, and crushes my brains, all before I could do anything.

Just keep trying and invest in dodging. I think it has a greater impact on survivability than any other skill. That plus high agility means you can run when you need to, and you attack far more often than your average opponent does.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

toupz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: November 16, 2010, 06:17:02 pm »

Shield skill is better than dodging, at least if you make a demi-god and raise it up to expert right when starting your character

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: November 16, 2010, 06:21:05 pm »

Eh. Shields are position relative and attached to a body part. I think you can actually dodge even with no legs. Plus I like having a free offhand to do things like grab guts and eyeballs and eyelids and such.

On that note, you totally need to be able to combine a grab with a weapon attack to make a direct hit on a body part.

Milk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: November 16, 2010, 06:26:32 pm »

Do you put any points into Agility?  Yup, not maxed but a couple of bumps, toughness, str & end are the other ones.
Any into a Weapon skill?  Yup,  tried several different starting skills, going with swords mostly.
Any points into Fighter?  Yup, not many points though.. I like the idea of dodge which I get as many points in as possible.
Any points into Dodge?  Yup ^ see above.
Then I throw points into shield & armor, the swimming gets a point as a lot of guides recommend it.

As for meat shields, I wasnt aware that was a requirement.. thought it was possible to play by myself.  I'll have a look around at that.

Personally, I think I'm just incredibly unlucky.  As you say, getting put against stupidly hard things to kill.   Had an interesting game a moment ago.  Playing away, managed to kill a couple of things, then BAM suddenly dead.   Turns out a Crossbow guy just randomly shot me in the head.

And back we go to try again.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 06:28:11 pm by Milk »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: November 16, 2010, 06:30:43 pm »

My army of 16 adventurers were ambushed while sleeping right outside a castle.  By an entire fortressmode siege's worth of goblins.

My companions all dropped like flies, I was deadlocked with the chief when I noticed them falling more than the goblins.  I got a lucky hit to his leg and made like a sheep herder and got the flock outta there.  Running towards the castle.  As fast as my legs would take me dodging arrows left and right.

I made it to the castle goblins hot on my heels and I was surprised that despite it being the middle of the night the defenders actually started waking up to repel the invaders.  There even appears to be a crossbowman in one of the towers raining death.  Its almost like I'm taking part in a fortress mode siege.

I still find it amusing that the only thing they say to me in the melee before I recruit them into the battle is "A Legend? Here?".  I would think the wall of goblins storming through the gates would be more surprising.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

killran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: November 16, 2010, 06:30:49 pm »

I tend to ignore any bandit killing quests until I have at least 3-4 extra warriors with me, never ends well otherwise. Night Creatures on the whole are easier to kill with a smaller party, so I do those quests until my reputation rises.

And from personal experience I'm not sure that dodging is as effective once you start to get a decent party size. The higher level bandit masters are quite often able to hit me regardless of skilled dodging and very high agility and one shot tends to put me on the floor or hinder my speed so much that running away isn't an option at that point.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 1104