Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 687 688 [689] 690 691 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2103856 times)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #10320 on: January 23, 2016, 08:31:37 am »

Now more seriously, how can you make the difference between the goblin swordman that is a bandit and the goblin swordman that is the faction-friendly one in the middle of the melee , because there was actually one (only figured out later in the fight when one of the goblin was not actually trying to fight us but was trying to fight the other gobs).
I'm having this problem all the time in this civ. Almost every town has goblins pouring out of the dungeons, and one had a goblin lord with a few goblin guards who I managed not to conflict with. But then local crime gangs downstairs will fight against the raiders too, and they also have goblin members and leaders. Misunderstandings are guaranteed to happen.

EDIT: I'm starting to see some tensions in the group, and doubting whether this party will hold together for the whole savage lands trek, much less the ice cap. The wereclan thing wasn't going to work anyway; since I granted two of the girls ladyships, if I drop them from the party I won't be able to get them to rejoin because "My duty is here". Same with the new Bowman I recruited. I saw him hanging around a meadhall I had cleared of bandits, asked him who he was and he said "I wander this area seeking adventure!" So "Come along" I said, but a little ways down the road he had become a ringleader.

Someone is bound to die from these moon horrors we're approaching, and it'll probably be the ringleader. Both Hammerlady and Whipchic are good with their weapons, but they aren't ideal weapons against monsters who feel no pain, so I give them even odds.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 10:45:36 am by Uzu Bash »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10321 on: January 23, 2016, 06:58:42 pm »

Most of that is problems with 42.04, they stay underground in 42.05.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10322 on: January 23, 2016, 11:27:06 pm »

No, I think it's just this civ. I've rolled three worlds in 42.04 and explored many human civs in them, but before this civ I hadn't seen such a problem even once. Out of the 9 cities I've explored in this town, only 2 keeps do not have respawning raiders coming out of their dungeons. I have two more cities to visit, and I can already predict which one will have raiders and which will have peace.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10323 on: January 23, 2016, 11:51:36 pm »

Yeah, but I mean in 42.05 they don't do that. I visited and quested and explored all 50+ towns in this world:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Not one had raiders and criminals and shit pouring out of the dungeons under the keep, but multiple had active insurrections going on with armies outside the keep attacking.

In other news, the world I'm playing on now has two (so far) marketplaces with zombiemerchants.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Yes, those zombies are sleeping, no I do not know why this is happening.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #10324 on: January 23, 2016, 11:54:38 pm »

That is weird.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10325 on: January 24, 2016, 12:02:42 am »

Your world doesn't have my history seed. I'm pretty sure that this isn't a bug; it's guerrilla warfare from the remnants of a goblin civ that only has camps left. And I'm sure it isn't typical of the rest of the world, which this area is almost completely isolated from.

I figured out the cause of party tension, and it's probably why my vampire axe left. Using the Wait command in dfhack's Companion menu causes a loyalty cascade. When I ask them individually to wait, they wait without any problems. When I use dfhack to make them all wait, one immediately becomes hostile to the others.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10326 on: January 24, 2016, 12:43:40 am »

The underground populations pouring up into the keeps was a bug fixed in 42.05 though. Did you update and see if it keeps happening?

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10327 on: January 24, 2016, 09:04:49 am »

The warehouse in the capital was completely empty. Nothing in there but sand. I would've enjoyed shopping this big a city if it weren't for the terrible lag. So I did my shopping overland, jogging instead of fast traveling to collect my leather from the wild. I want to get speedy enough at tanning and leatherworking to quickly craft a full set of werelizard-sized leather armor before hunting. I don't really need it, but the Poet needs to improve her Armor skill in order to wear metal armor.

I came upon a small burrowed out hill with a door, vacant. I spent about 1 1/2 day there, expanding the lair with downstairs workshops and a beer pavilion on top, turned all my skins into leather armor and wrote a poem. There should've been 5 moon horrors in residence here, but no one showed up. I searched histories and the only one I can account for was shot by a marksdwarf in the surrounding region. I haven't seen a single dwarf anywhere near this civ! Where is this guy, I need to recruit him!

Later I ran into evil lands again; I knew from rumor it was around there somewhere, but it wasn't at all obvious from the world or fast travel maps. I saw and glumprong and walked toward it, and suddenly I was leaving a vivid purple trail. Repellent muck was falling from the sky, but it combined with normal rain to wash off on contact. I didn't get any emotion from it, and no symptoms have appeared, so it either it didn't have a contact effect or it was too diluted with water to be effective. The only evil denizens I encountered were harpies, and while they were funner than fighting vultures, their skins couldn't be tanned. I would've liked some beak dog leather.

The underground populations pouring up into the keeps was a bug fixed in 42.05 though. Did you update and see if it keeps happening?
Not yet, but I'll probably do that before seeing another human civ. But like I said, this is the third 42.04 world I've genned, and it didn't occur at all in previous cities. If it's a bug, it's not a common one, and not a game-breaker imo.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 09:07:56 am by Uzu Bash »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10328 on: January 24, 2016, 01:25:01 pm »

So... I'm kind of awesome.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10329 on: January 24, 2016, 03:15:10 pm »

Found a warlord who'd sent his gang homing in on me since I came to this new town. I never met the asshole, and never encountered his people until they ambushed me. And yet, he was unwilling to fight after I made my introductions around. So I drew my steel pick and channeled the orthogonal tiles around him. The ground was an aquifer layer, so he only survived the cave-in long enough to drown. The party got a nice mist bath out of it, too.

Feniks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10330 on: January 24, 2016, 03:57:23 pm »

how do you mine in adventure mode? Is that a part of mod or am I missing something?

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10331 on: January 24, 2016, 04:04:52 pm »

how do you mine in adventure mode? Is that a part of mod or am I missing something?

It's adv-fort, a dfhack plugin/script. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=123944.0

Feniks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10332 on: January 24, 2016, 04:37:43 pm »

Well I know how I will play adventure mode from now one.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10333 on: January 24, 2016, 08:56:48 pm »

So... I'm kind of awesome.
Well yes, for other reasons, I'm still trying to figure out how those take place. I think someone on /dfg/ suggested the most plausible way, aiming the bow a different direction to throw the aim off.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #10334 on: January 24, 2016, 09:43:51 pm »

I've just created what is easily my strongest adventurer this version, a classic sword/shield user, who has been going around to every single mead hall in the vicinity, challenging the lord for rule of the site, and cutting their heads, resulting in my guy becoming lord of around 10 areas now.  Human fighters are far too easy, I wish it were simpler to find monsters in this version, that way I can actually have battles that last longer than 4 turns. 

GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.
Pages: 1 ... 687 688 [689] 690 691 ... 1104