Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 675 676 [677] 678 679 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2104193 times)

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #10140 on: January 06, 2016, 07:33:35 am »

Expressing emotions can be as strange as all other conversation pieces. This hasn't changed since 40.24.

A cyclops my dwarf traveler encountered was having a difficult time, what with the whole home invasion thing and armed bearded creature poking at him. Reminiscent of a night troll from another past world being grouchy about being out in the rain (while being swarmed), this cyclops, grounded because of a shot to the leg, mainly featuring grab attacks, exclaimed, "I have improved my wrestling. It was very satisfying."

The dwarf traveler who had only novice skills for combat, but as low as low can be in linguistics, and was <<private<< to boot, said nothing.

Later, after a few days at a tavern, in separate encounters, a crocodile woman recruit and a human swordsman came into town looking for this dwarf traveler. Presumably friends of this cyclops. Here dwarf traveler was able to upgrade to a plain undecorated steel sword.

I remember the conflict +items+ cause for the austere during an expressing emotions check, run on an old dwarven bard. He fell to ruin because he had equipped a *bronze bow* found in a dwarf tomb (I exaggerate).

The dissonance of not playing according to role was discovered, so I've tried to be more careful with my adventurer's choices. That's assuming I want them to be more like Hud or Bazarov than a character who ends up with a dynamic development arc (Urist McModest finds out he's not so modest! He likes finery!)

Noel.se

• Bay Watcher
  • Always lurking. Always watching.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10141 on: January 06, 2016, 10:54:04 am »

Created a new world and a human Bard. The first thing I noticed was that the core of my civ (a town and the hamlets surrounding it) was being sacked by goblins. I slept in the town for a night, and the next morning i got almost killed by a lasher. I fled west, were there are three mostly peaceful hamlets. This could be an interesting world.

Finding water is a challenge, I had to climb down a well because the water in the bucket froze as soon as it reached the surface. I'm pretty sure there is no way to gather Ice from frozen rivers in order to smelt it with a campfire.

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10142 on: January 06, 2016, 11:14:15 am »

I started out as Frosty the Polar Bear Man. Superior physical attributes, lousy everything else. Dropped my weapons and am getting by with Kisat Dur (his bites are wicked powerful). Until I met a travelling dwarf bard. I followed him to a nearby town, and while I'm not able to sing, play instruments or recite poetry, I can dance really well! So now I am a dancing polar bear travelling together with this bard, going from town to town and entertaining people with his song and my dance.

I'm wondering, can I learn more dances somehow? I can compose them myself, but I suck at it (low Creativity). I haven't been able to get the bard to actually perform any music, I always have to dance myself and hope he joins in. Do I have to release him from travelling with me, and then he'll go back to his old job of performing?
Ilrom Ziril - The Peak of Fire:
An epic saga of weregophers and volcano gods.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148021.0

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10143 on: January 06, 2016, 11:47:56 am »

I'm on the most isolated land mass, but it's a pretty good size, so it'll keep me occupied for quite awhile before I consider a polar trek. Three fourths of it is savage, so even after sifting through all rumors I'll still have to hunt region tiles for some places. There are only two civilizations here, human and dwarven. There was a goblin civ, fittingly named The Failed Evils, until it was consumed by the humans. There was never an elvish civ here, and the handful of elves present were probably goblin captives.

The demon that raised the spire here was struck down by a giant cheetah in the 3rd century. His sphere was chaos and dance, which explains why 95% of all dance forms originated with the goblins. His vault is in the middle of this island, deep in the mountains. There are no necro towers, but there are large expanses of evil lands. The only expanse of good land is so far south it's indistinguishable from ice cap. And there is one forgotten beast here.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10144 on: January 06, 2016, 02:22:01 pm »

Tinkered with inorganic_metal.txt and removed [ITEMS_WEAPON][ITEMS_WEAPON_RANGED][ITEMS_AMMO][ITEMS_DIGGER][ITEMS_ARMOR] from some metals, just keeping those tags for iron and steel. Mechanically, we know what happens, but it's the feel that's important.

If the time period is around 14th C, this is more consistent for period material, but the simulation is medieval fantasy and the reliance on differences in item material and quality being a thing along with the whole werebeast weaknesses to certain metal types (I'm assuming this is still so?), well it ruins the feel. There's just too much dissonance.

So I reverted back after the experiment and genned a new world where poetry slams are deadly.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Apparently Bukowski was quite right about poets. Except he didn't know about the nudist lifestyle choice these poets (human/elf/goblin) favored:

My dwarf waited around for a bit as the battle royale continued, then grew bored and left.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 02:24:27 pm by peasant cretin »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #10145 on: January 06, 2016, 03:19:49 pm »

After gaining legendary in Axeman, Maceman, Spearman, Shield User, Observer, Dodger, Striker, Kicker, and Misc. Object User, the bronze colossus died. I managed to beat it to death with a copper shield.

I also killed two hydras with my mace, which was sadly easy. I refrained from killing a dragon in case I make a fort in this world, but I did steal some eggs.

And now:

This is going to be good.

EDIT: Images
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 03:30:55 pm by TheFlame52 »

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10146 on: January 06, 2016, 05:50:57 pm »

Suddenly I need a drink. Not sure what exactly triggered it, but it must've been sometime during 6 goblin kills plus additional deaths witnessed. And this basement still isn't clean. I'm going to need another waterskin. Or maybe a second quiver.

EDIT: Well fuck me, I only trotted off to the pub for a minute, and when I come back to the keep, bodies are all over the floor. I guess reports of an insurrection were genuine, it just seems like really bad fucking timing, what with the endless goblin invasion from beneath. And I do mean endless; every time I come back the exact same goblin types with the exact same weapons are here. What's more, there appear to be two factions of them now, as well. So there's fighting above and below, and the loot pileup is getting to be more than I want to sift through.

Also, these goblins seem to be terrified of me. They didn't regard me as hostile in the first place, but when I started throwing aside their weapons and chewing open their throats, they wet themselves. I won't be able to outrun them until I master armor use, but I think I'll have to kill their leader in order to stem the flow of them. Or maybe I'll come to an agreement with him and let the gobbos tear up the fractious bitches topside. That way there'll always be a vacancy on the throne when I feel like claiming it.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 07:20:21 pm by Uzu Bash »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10147 on: January 06, 2016, 06:59:15 pm »

I'm on a massive quest for alcohol, but all there is here are elves and elven humans and goblins. I'm going to murder all the local night creatures, nip down to a vault nearby, then travel north for dwarves and goblins and booze!

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10148 on: January 06, 2016, 07:39:33 pm »

so after seeing a night troll wander into a house punching folks I double back and left, then talk to a priest in the town bar about said night troll.

I think when you unload the site everyone on that site will become apart of that civ even dead people so any kill will brand you unhinged for murdering a sentient just because you killed them on site and their dead soul while lingering there has sign citizenship papers.
also because of this you might end up with said creature you left popping up in one of the peasant spawning zones.
so uhh don't kill folks as everyone might have citizenship to everywhere and make you the enemy or atleast a murderer to 500 sites just because you murdered some famous person.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10149 on: January 06, 2016, 07:49:47 pm »

so after seeing a night troll wander into a house punching folks I double back and left, then talk to a priest in the town bar about said night troll.

There goes the neighborhood. :P
I think when you unload the site everyone on that site will become apart of that civ even dead people so any kill will brand you unhinged for murdering a sentient just because you killed them on site and their dead soul while lingering there has sign citizenship papers.
also because of this you might end up with said creature you left popping up in one of the peasant spawning zones.
so uhh don't kill folks as everyone might have citizenship to everywhere and make you the enemy or atleast a murderer to 500 sites just because you murdered some famous person.
This is fascinating. !!SCIENCE!! beckons!
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10150 on: January 06, 2016, 08:10:28 pm »

I found a second massive group of bandits in the same town later on. I talked to a recruit and learned his name, then looked him up in Legends Viewer. Turns out the whole group is a bunch of refugees from when the elves conquered the human capitol. They seem to have been scattered around or just hanging in limbo, but now I suppose they've all come together to raid towns or whatever.

I'm still going to kill them.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10151 on: January 07, 2016, 12:55:37 am »

The guards must be crazy. These soldiers were tailing me at the very start of the insurrection, before the bloodshed began. They never got aggressive, just very tight-lipped about who they are and what they're doing. When I got ambushed in the streets, they just watched from a distance, and after I got the bandit on the run, then one of them stepped in to finish the job.

Now after I cleared out the gobbos and another wave of amphibian people, I determined that whoever was behind them wasn't down in the dungeons, and because they were all generic nameless goblins, more were sure to spawn. The soldiers had fought with me and after it was over they stood guard in the keep over the only two priests were left alive. Hardly enough to entertain in the court with, so I left to get booze and snooze. These moronic guards followed me again, all the way to my preferred tavern(s). I stopped to talk to them, still friendly, then headed back to the keep, but they did not keep up.

When I got back to the keep, no one was standing guard but a trio of goblins. The soldiers slowly straggled in and started working their way through the goblins all over again, but there really wasn't much point because no one was left alive to run the place. This time they got their asses handed to them; only five came back and all of them crippled in one way or another. This place isn't going to become defensible without an influx of fresh troops. I just don't like this town enough to do it myself.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10152 on: January 07, 2016, 02:38:27 pm »

Was mucking around with an ettin with current dodge preference set to stand ground just to try the luck. Usually I keep dodge preference set to move around which works out fine.

With grabs on clothing you can jump to break the grip, but apparently not with armor. Note: the copper brigandine is the breastplate renamed with layer size downgraded to from 20 to 15 (to make it more pokeable), the 1H sword is the just short sword renamed.

The luck stretched out as the ettin went for a takedown and then released the grip. He or she probably should have opted for the throw, getting the stun, keeping the grip, and then the finish. Afterwards, there was another encounter that yielded an upgrade in armor from copper to iron. Ending up in town at a tavern.

My dwarf avoided the "sewer spirits" and opted for the possibly just as bad "river spirits." Felt a bit like World of Greyhawk. Never played that but read the manual. Nice flavor.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10153 on: January 07, 2016, 03:21:17 pm »

After about a week of trekking, I reached the northern subcontinent! There are plenty of goblins here, but I'm after the dwarves to the west. So I'll have to trek the entire length of the continent to get there. I took the opportunity to kill one demon master and bind a second to my will. I also attempted to save some kiddies since the opportunity presented itself, but they ran away from me. Seems to be a bug that happens no matter your affiliations.

The demon master I bound is a three-eyed lizard woman, so basically Rumrusher's demon lady with an extra eye. I'm trying to find her a good two-handed sword or great axe, but for now she's murdering people with a copper shield she wrestled off a goblin.

I decided to visit the last remaining vault, since it was in the vicinity. This one was made by a different goddess from the other three, so instead of pushovers made from ash I had pushovers made from ash and troll-looking things with horns and one eye. I lost my demon servant somewhere in the first few rooms, so I had to fight the whole way on my own. She's just hanging around somewhere. I was doing pretty well, since I'm legendary in everything important. Then I ran into the Judgement of Libash, an eyeless hadrosaurid that gave me a run for my money. After the fight, I ended up looking like this:

With some DFhackery I made myself a crutch out of the creature's bones. One of my legs has severed nerves, so I'll need it from now on. But as long as I can still hold my sword, I will not rest! I want that slab! And if I sleep I'll lose my way!

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10154 on: January 07, 2016, 03:45:10 pm »

With grabs on clothing you can jump to break the grip, but apparently not with armor.

Just noticed it's not the armor, it's that the ettin grabbed with his arm which classifies as wrestling which negates jumping. As I write this my dwarf is brawling with a goblin bandit who robbed a farmer. When my dwarf grabbed the farmer's flail with his lower arm he couldn't jump away to wrench it away, but when he grabbed it with his hand he was able to jump.

Pages: 1 ... 675 676 [677] 678 679 ... 1104