Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Zombie Mammoth Strategy  (Read 1593 times)

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Zombie Mammoth Strategy
« on: March 18, 2010, 12:15:40 pm »

I have a fortress on an area with Zombie and Skeletal mammoths. Unfortunately, since I had abandoned it before, a ton of crap is -everywhere-, and they keep killing my starting armies. To make it worse, whenever I do manage to kill one group of undead, another just -instantly- appears elsewhere. What do I do?

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie Mammoth Strategy
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 12:26:03 pm »

Trap the current group behind walls or in a pit or something using retractable bridges or hatches or whatever. Do not use cage traps or kill them. This will stop a new group from spawning since the old one is still there. Then release you mammoth army upon the goblins for great fun. Also, what mod are you using? I don't think there are mammoths in vanilla?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 12:54:53 pm »

Worst thing I ever saw was a zombie basking shark. They are utterly gigantic. Size 18, just a tiny bit smaller than a megabeast.

Its also a zombie so its immune to piercing, crits, bleeding, and strangling. It can crawl out of the ocean.

It sloooooowly ate all of 7 of my dorfs, one by one. Almost. The last dorf was finally able to seal himself inside an impromptu underground chamber and was able to keep the shark out.

The zombie shark just sat outside the chamber until he died of third. It turned into his tomb.   :(

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 01:51:45 pm »

Zombie Mammoths wow.  Well in my struggles against the skelephants I discovered the key is to isolate them as much as possible, and keep an eye on things.  If you can fight a few at a time you can cull the herd without too many casualties.  They will still wonder too close to some sock chasing peasant but when they do Urist wont lead 20 of the things back to base.  Also, when fighting them have some dedicated unarmed wrestlers.  A mammoth may be size 20, but a champion has ~5 strength and easily 20 wrestling levels so it balances out.  A mammoth can kill a dwarf with biting quick, but a wrestler forces it to wrestle back and a good one will survive until getting tired.  Easily enough time to just sit there and pound it to death with hammers. 

But yea, get used to dead caravans and have lots of extra champions. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 02:12:42 pm »

dig a moat quicky at the start useing 1-2 dwarfs.
dont rush out to fight them.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 02:26:03 pm »

I'll have to try some of these strategies when I reclaim. Sadly, the mammoths have never killed even --one-- migrant! Useless worthless migrants!!! They  get every caravan too...on the way OUT. Sadly, I cannot reclaim my stuff  due to ...well...mammoth.

And for the guy who asked, I use Dig Deeper!

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 02:27:26 pm »

What kind of soldiers are you taking with you when you reclaim?

If it's anything besides Axedwarves/Macedwarves/Hammerdwarves, you're just wasting your time against the undead as piercing weapons simply won't work against them; swords, spears, and crossbows are ineffective.

It would be easy to train up several Elite Marksdwarves though simply by giving them a hefty supply of bone bolts and a safe location to snipe at the Mammoths with especially if the Mammoths can't move away. The Marksdwarf will keep gaining experience even if the target doesn't die. So they'll be useful if any sieges show up, but won't do jack against your undead neighbors.

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 02:44:01 pm »

Plus mammoth bone stacks lead to huge stacks of bone bolts
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 02:51:32 pm »

Wrestlers are still quite effective. Sure, they can't actually kill it, but they can at least pin it down. So long as you have a couple guys with weapons you should still win. The wrestlers keep it pinned while your guys with swords, hammers, and axes chop it up. Hopefully they finish their chopping before the wrestlers pass out from exhaustion.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 07:32:24 pm »

you could always mod in blunt-damage bolts, get some marksdwarves up to elite, and then switch over to the blunt weaponry, and blow them to bits!
Nom nom nom