Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Multi-level fortress  (Read 1351 times)

Chephren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Multi-level fortress
« on: September 02, 2006, 05:58:00 am »

Don't know if this has been suggested yet, but multi-level fortresses would be neat.  On the current level you could build an up or down staircase, which would make a corresponding staircase on the appropriate level.  From there you could mine out new rooms and stuff.  You could cycle between the different levels with +/- or something.

Of course this would require Dwarfs to be able to pathfind between different levels, would probably require some kind of tracking system to show which dwarves are on what level.  Further, you'd have to consider the implications of digging deeper.  Typically, you'd get better gems, more harder and ancient monsters the deeper you went, i.e. all the things associated with digging further into the mountain.  There would also be the problem of finding the underground rivers, and how many levels might they occupy.  There could be a new dowser dwarf, for locating different types of river.

It would be good to make your own roguelike styled dungeon, with many levels, but it might change the game alot. Though it would be more realistic.  It would also allow you to build underground anywhere (or anywhere on rocky ground at least).  Would allow for interesting sapping/siege possibilities.  As well as the possibility to dig up and walk about on top of the mountain.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Multi-level fortress
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 06:01:00 am »

If you go to an abandoned fort in Adventure Mode, it seems like there's stairways up and down between various places.  I'm thinking it's assumed that the further to right you dig, the deeper you dig.

Of course, digging various layers could be interesting if implemented well.

JimmyJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 12:57:00 pm »

But who said you have to be going down? You should be able to have upstairs too!
et out of my signiture!!!!!!!!!!

DarkAnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 01:31:00 pm »

While it makes sense to add multiple levels in dwarf fortress in a physical sense, will it really add to the gameplay?
Why do my dwarves hate me?

Kjoery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 03:12:00 pm »

Yeah, right now there's more than enough space; adding multiple levels would just be confusing and be really hard to manage.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 03:21:00 pm »

The path-finding stuff is already handled, because of the multi-level parts of adventure mode.  However, I didn't want to get into this kind of thing until human town mode.  With dwarf mode, you can pretend you are digging however you like, and when you go back to your ruins with an adventurer, it just throws together a level plan.  In the human towns, the multi-level nature of houses and castles will be forced by the current town maps -- elf trees will also be multiple levels at some point.  Also, once you can control goblins/kobs/wiz-towers, there will be more opportunities for multi-level play.  This is all pretty far off though, although the elf trees might be added to adventure mode within a reasonable time frame.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

JimmyJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 03:44:00 pm »

Toady, would you still consider multi level dwarf fortresses in the future?
et out of my signiture!!!!!!!!!!

Varil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 03:55:00 pm »

I think that'd be pretty neat. Instead of a lava river, just have a lake of molten lava if you dig too deep! "Your miner has found a molten sea!" "Awesome Picks, the Legendary Miner, has been cremated."

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006, 04:04:00 pm »

It's a good idea, but it would just mean the player would have to constantly be switching between layers and such.  The game is already full of things to keep track of, hard to get an overview on things.. and that's just on ONE plane.  I don't want to have to switch up and down levels all the time to see what the heck is going on.

Fourth Triad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2006, 11:17:00 pm »

I would kinda suck if you had a cave though, cuz the square from the level above it would have to go down to the level below it. Also more levels = long periods of time switch between levels and more mem usage. Still it would be fun.

[ September 03, 2006: Message edited by: Fourth Triad ]

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2006, 01:04:00 am »

can't wait to see entire lower floor(s) submerged because someone left the door above open during a flood..

... don't know about lava.. never been there yet.

better yet... river size being slightly different between levels.. and people digging in the wrong place below the waterline

---
don't know how wells will work with multi levels for it to make sense

[ September 03, 2006: Message edited by: bbb ]

rylen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2006, 11:19:00 am »

I doubt the river should be wet at all levels.  For many, it should act as an early chasm.  For others, you can go under it.

Of course, I'd also like to see caverns, riverlets, and magma pockets.

I'd like water to be able to flow "down" levels.  Plus, the ability to superimposed the plans for levels above and below to make sure the waterfall lands in the right place.

Also, I'd like to see some crops wanting terraced farming on the outside.

Rylen

Upthorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2006, 10:02:00 pm »

I would really like to see cave-ins have effects across multiple floors.

(assuming multi-floor fortresses ever get implemented.

[ September 03, 2006: Message edited by: Upthorn ]

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2006, 02:54:00 am »

I think this would just be needlessly complicated and time consuming in Dwarf mode.

As if you don't have enough to manage as-is

Cerej

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2006, 01:35:00 pm »

Actually this wouldn't complicate things unless you wanted to do so.  No one would be forcing you to build on multiple levels.  It would just be an option for those who wanted to try it.
Anyway, I'm all for it, at a later date.  Assuming it doesn't steal too much novelty from any other plans.