Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Magma proof pupies?  (Read 2079 times)

gopa4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma proof pupies?
« on: March 17, 2010, 09:00:16 pm »

Lately my FPS has plummeted to the flour because of the obscene amounts of puppies and other critters in my fort. So I get the idea to magma pitt all of them, well 50 or 60 burnt up puppies cows kittens ect. I think my problem is solved, I go down a z level and notice that two puppies are still alive in the magma. I think that hey they just might be dieing slowly, I check their wounds nothing.  ???  :o I now think either these two puppies are magma proof, or are standing on the ashes of countless brothers and sisters, among other critters.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: Magma proof pupies?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 09:02:50 pm »

Temperature is probably off; check the init. Also, domestic animals all have [SWIMS_INNATE] so unless they're under more than one level of water, I don't think they'll drown at all.

Ed- Hm, just re-read that many animals died first. I'm thinking it's still a temp-is-off thing, and the other animals died of fall damage. The survivors may have simply landed on each other, and it's a known bug/feature that creatures that land on another creature (regardless of fall distance) are perfectly fine.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 09:08:41 pm by Retro »

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 09:05:21 pm »

Oh god .. MAGMA didn't work???  :o
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

gopa4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 09:07:15 pm »

It worked on 48 or so of them, they dissapeared into puffs of smoke. But these two are supper puppies or something.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 09:10:10 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 12:44:55 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 09:21:08 pm »

Known bug, not looking up the number though, creatures falling on other creatures when dropped from high places become invulnerable. Magma seems to be where this is noticed. Search Bug Reports for more details.

gopa4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 09:28:43 pm »

Oh, well thanks. I wonder why the other 48 creaters didn't also become invincible.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 09:42:14 pm »

Because there can be only ONE! you just need to wait a bit and the remaining puppy's will fight each other till all but one is dead.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 10:13:54 pm »

That's happened to me before too.  It's kind of weird how it happens, but when an animal gets cornered and can't go anywhere, the magma will often sort of "flow under" and not actually affect them.  I'm not sure if it's on the list of bugs, but I've seen it happen at least twice now.
Sanity is for the weak.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 10:34:15 pm »

Oh, well thanks. I wonder why the other 48 creaters didn't also become invincible.

2/48 became invincible!

The implications are obvious.

Drop all of your dwarves to their dooms. 4% of them will survive to become superdwarves.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 11:01:32 pm »

2/48 became invincible!

The implications are obvious.

Drop all of your dwarves to their dooms. 4% of them will survive to become superdwarves.
Whoa,
You mean 2/50.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

MacaqueAttack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 11:46:39 pm »

All puppies are naturally magma proof. Go ahead, test them out. If any of them didn't survive, they were probably defective, and deserved to burn up.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 11:54:24 pm »

Everyone knows witches don't burn in magma, so if you just dump all your dwarves into the magma to check, then you'll know that the ones who survived are the witches, and should be killed... with magma.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 12:03:49 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 12:45:18 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Shadefox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 06:38:06 am »

My current fort has over 400 animals, down from 550 (still get 30 odd FPS) and did a magma purge to test.

When I directed the magma into the meeting room, which had about 50+ dorfs, 400 something animals, there were about 2 fouls that survived, sitting on top of the magma.  They aren't stuck falling, just happily sitting on top of 3/7 magma.  They don't have any wounds on them.
Pages: [1] 2