Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Music to dorf by  (Read 2840 times)

Morsigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Music to dorf by
« on: March 17, 2010, 07:56:22 pm »

I was hoping some of you might share the music you play Dwarf Fortress with. I love the instrumental guitar, but the Mayday tile set removes it so I end up listening to some awful dance techno stations over and over.

Maybe someone can suggest some streams in the theme of Apocalyptica?

Otherwise, this can be a general "I listen to this music when I Dorf Fort" thread.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Music to dorf by
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 08:01:47 pm »

There was this thread recently.

Mortesphere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 08:05:35 pm »

That's +100 days old. I don't want to necro that.

Nachtmahr, Centhron, such.

Morsigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 08:16:48 pm »

There was this thread recently.

I feel incredibly uncreative now that I read his thread title, however I'm not ashamed of starting this thread. The one you cited was four years ago.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 08:21:02 pm »

I've actually been listening to a fair amount of Tweaker lately...   But that's mostly because I've just been listening to a lot of Tweaker, not because I think it's particularly suited for Dwarf Fortress.

Frankly, if there were just a few (read: many) more tracks put together by Toady, I think I'd listen to that almost exclusively.  That music has always been DF to me.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 08:22:49 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDTq9Ow7Fjw

Also everything else that Korpiklaani does.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

smokingwreckage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 09:38:39 pm »

Apocaliptika, Cult album: Coma, Kaamos, Romance.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 10:31:13 pm »

I never really understood listening to metal while playing DF.  It just seems like an awfully laid-back game for that kind of...  "Energetic" music.

But then again, I never quite understood listening to metal in general.  So, there's that.

Morsigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 10:43:12 pm »

I never really understood listening to metal while playing DF.  It just seems like an awfully laid-back game for that kind of...  "Energetic" music.

But then again, I never quite understood listening to metal in general.  So, there's that.

Funny you should say that. As I mentioned, I tend to play this game entirely to dance music, which is innately high energy. Metal follows in that line. The reason it makes sense is that my mind is very, very busy, and unless I have constant stimulus I get distracted. Playing fast music occupies part of my brain and allows other parts to focus. I am at my most focused with caffeine, loud, fast music, and a bouncing leg/constant and quick keyboard and mouse manipulation.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 10:58:13 pm »

Aaaah! My feet don't have kerchiefs.

This was the thread I was thinking of.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 11:06:52 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRP6egIEABk

I prefer the mountain goats for their incredibly upbeat self destructiveness.

That or the neotokyo soundtrack, the flash bulb, King Missle, The gorillaz, The Eels etc.

Playing DF while listening to the song "Detachable penis" is oddly hilarious.

dermal_plating

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 11:42:21 pm »

I like post rock or relaxed ambient stuff. God is an Astronaut, Explosions in the Sky, Mogwai, Godspeed you Black Emperor, Autechre, Ben Frost etc. Its soothing and calming, feelings that are otherwise rarely experienced during a game of Dwarf Fortress.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 12:06:29 am »

It usually depends on what is happening in the game, (for example, I usually play "we are the legions" by Battlelore during sieges) but I tend to listen to the random music I have on my computer during play. Except for when I'm destroying a fort, then I play Dies Irae (day of wrath) by Mozart.

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 11:38:18 am »

Is it possible to mod the game so that certain music plays when, for example, you are under siege, someone becomes legendary (CoD level up sound anyone?) etc?
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 12:19:34 pm »

It is mostly random stuff, but there is an epic list i made, a lot of movie OSTs and some game OSTs, really fits the DF theme nicely, when it's not that it's usually Korpiklaani or Ensiferum :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: [1] 2 3