Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: The Jasper of Infinity  (Read 7649 times)

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Jasper of Infinity
« Reply #105 on: March 24, 2010, 09:12:22 am »

I'm not ganging up on him, but seriously, we don't even REALLY know the scope of our own universe. How can we possibly fathom what lies beyond it? Anything anyone says about what is beyond it is nothing more than a theory. In fact, most things that are said about it are theories themselves. We say the "Big bang" happened, but for all we truly know and can prove, it was merely the result of the greatest hat trick ever performed by some celestial being beyond our understanding. I don't BELIEVE that, but until there is time travel and someone goes back to before the universe began and watches it happen, how can we know for sure?
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 24, 2010, 09:20:27 am »

I always wondered what dwarfs chatted about when Attending Parties. I like to think this thread is an example.

"So Tekud...I noticed that fine jasper you carved...is it infinitely fractal?"
"Nae, dinna be daft man! Twould have infinite mass if'n it were! And how would I carry such a thing then, eh?"

"Hey, have you guys tried the plump helmet dip yet?"

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 24, 2010, 09:30:16 am »

I always wondered what dwarfs chatted about when Attending Parties. I like to think this thread is an example.

"Nae, dinna be daft man! Twould have infinite mass if'n it were! And how would I carry such a thing then, eh?"

"Tis a bit bitter, actually. An' yer daft if'n you think it would have infinite mass if'n it were! The mass twould asymptote around..."

"Are ye callin me a liar? Oh, ye foul, vulgar, pathetic excuse fer a dwarf! Aye'll have yer beard for this!"

*A fight breaks out*

I like to think that in DF, party is slang for "all out, free for all, battle royale style brawl"

This is particularly amusing when you take into account wedding parties. Imagine, if you will, a bunch of dwarves fighting, punching and kicking each other in a massive dining room. There's food everywhere, the wedding cake has been destroyed, Urist McWoodcutter is biting Urist McStoneworker's ear, Urist McMason is tugging on Urist McBlacksmith's beard and punching him in the face, Urist McPeasant is choking Urist McNoble from behind, and at the head of the party the bride and groom are beating the living shit out of eachother, pausing every once and a while to smile lasciviously and steal a quick kiss before giving each other a black eye.

I also like to imagine they have a saying "I went to a fight and a party broke out" or something similar.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 24, 2010, 09:42:32 am »

Agreed. Also, am I the only one here who thinks string theory makes absolutely no sense?

Oh, string theory makes some sense to me (not that I could explain it).  But that wasn't string theory, it was....semi-related, but wrong.*

Spoiler: IIRC... (click to show/hide)

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 24, 2010, 09:46:15 am »

Yeah, I knew it wasn't string theory, but I figured that while we were on the off-topic subject of theoretical physics and all that I'd put that out there.

Fictionpuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 24, 2010, 10:06:38 am »

"Tis a bit bitter, actually. An' yer daft if'n you think it would have infinite mass if'n it were! The mass twould asymptote around..."

"Are ye callin me a liar? Oh, ye foul, vulgar, pathetic excuse fer a dwarf! Aye'll have yer beard for this!"

*A fight breaks out*

I like to think that in DF, party is slang for "all out, free for all, battle royale style brawl"

This is particularly amusing when you take into account wedding parties. Imagine, if you will, a bunch of dwarves fighting, punching and kicking each other in a massive dining room. There's food everywhere, the wedding cake has been destroyed, Urist McWoodcutter is biting Urist McStoneworker's ear, Urist McMason is tugging on Urist McBlacksmith's beard and punching him in the face, Urist McPeasant is choking Urist McNoble from behind, and at the head of the party the bride and groom are beating the living shit out of eachother, pausing every once and a while to smile lasciviously and steal a quick kiss before giving each other a black eye.

I also like to imagine they have a saying "I went to a fight and a party broke out" or something similar.

And todays winner of The Golden Beard for most dorfy post is... silverskull39!  Congratulations!

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 24, 2010, 10:26:10 am »

*A fight breaks out*

And todays winner of The Golden Beard for most dorfy post is... silverskull39!  Congratulations!

I...I don't know what to say! I'd like to thank my parents for making this possible...not my real parents of course, but my dwarf parents, who saved me from getting snatched by goblins. I'd also like to thank Rex, our pet Giant Cave Spider, and Uncle McBrawl for teaching me about dwarven culture!

Creis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 24, 2010, 11:13:42 am »

I certainly didn't expect for a thread to spawn like this from a comment on a curious engraved gem  ;D

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 24, 2010, 12:17:20 pm »

I certainly didn't expect for a thread to spawn like this from a comment on a curious engraved gem  ;D

Apparently you underestimated the collective insanity of the forum.

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 24, 2010, 12:18:58 pm »

Apparently you underestimated the collective insanity of the forum.
...How did we actually start this? Did i do it...?
If a elf dies in a forest and only dwarfs are around to see it does anyone care?

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 24, 2010, 12:27:16 pm »

we started talking about infinite recursion, and how that would affect mass/surface area/volume/etc... and it kinda snowballed from there.

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 24, 2010, 12:32:47 pm »

we started talking about infinite recursion, and how that would affect mass/surface area/volume/etc... and it kinda snowballed from there.
One giant...huge snowball with infinite time to go around the earths surface presuming it does not melt and can float over water to gain new snow onto its outer layers?
If a elf dies in a forest and only dwarfs are around to see it does anyone care?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 24, 2010, 01:48:15 pm »

One giant...huge snowball with infinite time to go around the earths surface presuming it does not melt and can float over water to gain new snow onto its outer layers?

...that's not a question.

Fictionpuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 24, 2010, 02:04:45 pm »

Or is it!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 24, 2010, 02:12:16 pm »

Or is it!

It is not, because it does not contain any of the following words:

Who
What
When
Where
Why
How

Nor is it a yes/no question or a tag question.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9