Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: The Jasper of Infinity  (Read 7641 times)

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Jasper of Infinity
« Reply #90 on: March 23, 2010, 10:51:33 pm »

I guess what it comes down to in the end, is no matter what we do, in the end we are completely and totally f%$#ed. Which means, there is no win condition. Which means we can only lose. As a general rule, we don't "quit"/commit suicide, so that can mean only one thing. "Losing is fun!"

"Life is, in a word, Dwarf Fort."

Thank you, and goodnight.
I wonder what DF will be like if toadys ancestors continue the legacy. Will we have it implanted into our mind and our brain used as the CPU? we could just think "hmm i want to play DF" and all of a sudden we have DF playing and all we can see is DF. Maybe the next hugist update like 3D is now out of space. DWARFS INTO OUT OF SPACEEEEE
If a elf dies in a forest and only dwarfs are around to see it does anyone care?

Cariyaga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2010, 11:03:43 pm »

Cariyaga, all you're doing is adding 1 + 1 or the number * itself...if we had this we would know its number some way or another - it will keep growing but it's possible to know its number...though just because you know its number doesn't mean its infinite...rwargh it depends on how you look at it.
Time to go make me a coffee!

Given infinite time and no other constraints, such as they are, that would result in an infinite of sorts. The same kind that results from an unbounded x = y.

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2010, 11:41:01 pm »

Infinity is inherently unreachable. The concept of infinity could be best paraphrased as "increasing without bound." So basically, all this talk about "reaching infinity" and such is unproductive. With regards to infinitely recursive jasper images, mathematically speaking, every one has an image of itself, so you have an infinite series, but because each is superimposed, it has finite volume (or surface area? One or both are finite...). So the infinite series has a finite sum. Pretty awesome, eh?
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 24, 2010, 01:00:35 am »

Huh, alright then. Granted, it's only as approximately flat as we can measure (there's a margin of error in there), but there's no reason to assume it's closed instead of open (I still find it intuitively improbable that it is actually flat, given a 2% margin of error, but hell if I'm qualified to argue it).

The universe has properties that allowed life to flourish in order for us to perceive those properties.

(Eg. if a universe has properties that do not allow for life--such as being so highly curved as to be a finite volume containing a single star--then it effectively doesn't exist: it can not be observed from outside (by definition) and there's nothing inside to observe it either, hence it doesn't exist.  The universe exists because we exist to see it and has properties that allow for life because we, as living being, can observe those properties.  The universe being flat--that is, perfectly 100% idealy FLAT--is because if it wasn't flat, it wouldn't be stable: if it was closed and curved it would eventually collapse in on itself; think about those snap bracelets: flat until you bend them, then *snap* curled up tight, the universe is like that and has properties such that if it wasn't perfectly flat, it would curl up into a tiny ball and cease to exist.  Or so I've been told).

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 24, 2010, 02:46:38 am »

So you rule out the possibility of a finite looped space containing a finite universe? If the universe (alternatively, space itself) periodically collapses in on itself, thus destroying all life, it doesn't really matter as long as the cycle repeats and life gets created anew.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 24, 2010, 04:38:29 am »

So you rule out the possibility of a finite looped space containing a finite universe? If the universe (alternatively, space itself) periodically collapses in on itself, thus destroying all life, it doesn't really matter as long as the cycle repeats and life gets created anew.
It repeats? I thought everything is screwed.
If a elf dies in a forest and only dwarfs are around to see it does anyone care?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 24, 2010, 04:45:35 am »

Why yes, it is. Everything is screwed, but that doesn't rule out the possibility of something else appearing when everything disappears.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 24, 2010, 04:49:45 am »

Why yes, it is. Everything is screwed, but that doesn't rule out the possibility of something else appearing when everything disappears.
You're saying a planet containing the needed stuff like water etc with a good steady temperature and non-drastic changes to the atmosphere will pop up after the universe is destroyed?

Though i'm probably wrong.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 04:54:15 am by Dabi »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 24, 2010, 04:53:47 am »

It's bound to happen, providing the next universe iteration has the same basic properties as this one. Even if it won't completely repeat itself, the sheer size of the universe means that the creation of an earthlike planet somewhere is nigh-unavoidable. Because no matter how diverse the conditions on Earth are, it initially "boiled down" to just three/four factors - planet composition, star intensity and orbital distance. Maybe size. With only four variables and immeasurable diversity of the Universe, an earthlike planet is, on a Universal scale, a very probable occurence.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 04:57:20 am by Sean Mirrsen »

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 24, 2010, 04:55:27 am »

It's bound to happen, providing the next universe iteration has the same basic properties as this one. Even if it won't completely repeat itself, the sheer size of the universe means that the creation of an earthlike planet somewhere is nigh-unavoidable.
I just had the idea once the universe reaches its max, another 'big bang' wont happen..it'll just be everything gone or similar.

Though i'm still hoping for aliens in my life-time even though we havin't found anything close to us that can inhabit life i'm hoping they are coming :)

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 24, 2010, 06:45:43 am »

There's that theory which says that our universe needs not to re-collapse. It is a bubble floating in a 5-dimensional 'sea'. From time to time, such bubbles collide (attracted to each other by negative gravitation) and create what we call the 'big bang'.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 24, 2010, 08:27:40 am »

There's that theory which says that our universe needs not to re-collapse. It is a bubble floating in a 5-dimensional 'sea'. From time to time, such bubbles collide (attracted to each other by negative gravitation) and create what we call the 'big bang'.

I love how people misquote various multiverse theories and state them as fact.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 24, 2010, 08:33:32 am »

I love how people misquote various multiverse theories and state them as fact.

Agreed. Also, am I the only one here who thinks string theory makes absolutely no sense?
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 24, 2010, 08:57:09 am »

I don't understand for what it is necessary.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 24, 2010, 08:58:28 am »

You guys are all ganging up on Dwarf :D
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9