Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: The Jasper of Infinity  (Read 7658 times)

Rainforce

• Bay Watcher
  • The Average
    • View Profile
Re: The Jasper of Infinity
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2010, 04:37:08 pm »

This whole topic sure gets far too serious..... lets all just be humans or at least dwarfs again :D
btw ampersand, I know and understand your example too, but you could at least explain where you got it from in the first place. "No." contains far too less information.
Burychanneled, the channel megaconstruction is officially dead now...until I revive the savegame XD
Oh Dragon Quemer Gildivory, the Flare of Glowing, you will always have a place in our memories as you strucked down our Zon Tonebolts,useless load "Livid Weight of Shielding"...
---
This is why I don't go outside.

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2010, 05:04:09 pm »

I love when the engravers engrave images of engravers engraving images. Especially when they engrave images of themselves engraving images. It's like Escher's hands drawing each other.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2010, 05:06:36 pm »

I love when the engravers engrave images of engravers engraving images. Especially when they engrave images of themselves engraving images. It's like Escher's hands drawing each other.

Totally possible.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2010, 07:55:55 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 12:58:47 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2010, 08:13:15 pm »

Re: the Universe. My understanding is that an infinitely-expanding object would bump into its other side without ever curving around, because of space's curvature.

Space has none, that's the point.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2010, 08:47:49 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 01:00:53 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 23, 2010, 10:03:44 pm »

Re: the Universe. My understanding is that an infinitely-expanding object would bump into its other side without ever curving around, because of space's curvature.

Space has none, that's the point.
Wait, what? When did that happen? I was pretty sure that the universe had technically non-Euclidean geometry, and was a closed system (sort of analogous to the surface of a sphere, only 3 dimensional instead of 2). I'm not exactly a physicist though, so did I miss something important in that field?

Nope

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2010, 10:19:01 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 01:01:06 am by Bauglir »

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 23, 2010, 10:26:03 pm »

We can give mathematics into this with numbers, but if you were to try to reach "infinite" you never will. You have not enough space in the whole world. You could fill every single harddrive, create new ones, yottabytes and beyond. You could times do grahams number * itself constantly and never reach it(Even though we don't even know the number.) it's just..not possible to reach it since it in my view explains something that is constantly growing and never-ending.
Physically there is a set amount inside of the universe. That basically it's finite - you cannot get infinite out of finite amount of anything.

Response to Draco.
If I ran a constantly growing number program on a dedicated box, it will need every single harddrive in the world, and then more and more - it's not infinite.

PS: Bauglir, it's a hard thing to wrap yourself around.

PS: I woke up 5 minutes ago and havin't had my coffee yet -_-
If a elf dies in a forest and only dwarfs are around to see it does anyone care?

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 23, 2010, 10:28:18 pm »

Okay...I don't understand any of this non-euclidian geometry stuff, so I'm just gonna go back to happy world where space extends to infinity in all directions. For all it will affect any of us if it's not like that, it doesn't really matter anyway. That 2% margin of error is likely thousands of times farther than humans will ever travel.

Hell, we'll be lucky if we ever get out of the galaxy.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Cariyaga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 23, 2010, 10:34:56 pm »

Response to Draco.
If I ran a constantly growing number program on a dedicated box, it will need every single harddrive in the world, and then more and more - it's not infinite.

That's what's called theoretical infinity. It can't be reached because of physical constraints but otherwise is achievable.

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 23, 2010, 10:36:02 pm »

Okay...I don't understand any of this non-euclidian geometry stuff, so I'm just gonna go back to happy world where space extends to infinity in all directions. For all it will affect any of us if it's not like that, it doesn't really matter anyway. That 2% margin of error is likely thousands of times farther than humans will ever travel.

Hell, we'll be lucky if we ever get out of the galaxy.
Most likely will not, thats if we're lucky enough to survive to that day and age.
Also if we get fast enough in ships a dangerous problem is the fact that little objects(I forget what they're called) will be hit by the ship, but because were going so fast they will go right through the ship, if you do this for many years or maybe days you'll basically be have holes in your equipment etc.(Though this was a while back when I read up on it - correct me with whats wrong)
It does matter though(Correct me if i'm wrong what i'm saying was heard about 2+ years back) but there is a point where it will not expand anymore - and we all die or something similar.

Cariyaga, all you're doing is adding 1 + 1 or the number * itself...if we had this we would know its number some way or another - it will keep growing but it's possible to know its number...though just because you know its number doesn't mean its infinite...rwargh it depends on how you look at it.
Time to go make me a coffee!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 10:41:53 pm by Dabi »
If a elf dies in a forest and only dwarfs are around to see it does anyone care?

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2010, 10:41:52 pm »

yes, but that end where it stops completely I think has been predicted to be trillions of years away. I'm not sure, and I can't site a source, but there are other ways the universe is predicted to end which might happen before this. Such as entropy and heat death, but they're all theories about what's gonna happen long after I'm dead, so I can comfortably live in happy world. And if I'm wrong and it does happen while I'm alive, it will probably happen so quickly we'll be dead before we can even have the slightest inkling what is happening. And again, assuming we survive this day and age. the chances of it making a difference are diminutive, to say the least.

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2010, 10:43:46 pm »

yes, but that end where it stops completely I think has been predicted to be trillions of years away. I'm not sure, and I can't site a source, but there are other ways the universe is predicted to end which might happen before this. Such as entropy and heat death, but they're all theories about what's gonna happen long after I'm dead, so I can comfortably live in happy world. And if I'm wrong and it does happen while I'm alive, it will probably happen so quickly we'll be dead before we can even have the slightest inkling what is happening. And again, assuming we survive this day and age. the chances of it making a difference are diminutive, to say the least.
Yes, there is many other things that can and probably will whipe us out before the human race will ever reach the end of everything. I'm lucky to have been born while things are young, I can live without to many of this affecting me. Though there could be things we don't know of.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2010, 10:48:35 pm »

I guess what it comes down to in the end, is no matter what we do, in the end we are completely and totally f%$#ed. Which means, there is no win condition. Which means we can only lose. As a general rule, we don't "quit"/commit suicide, so that can mean only one thing. "Losing is fun!"

"Life is, in a word, Dwarf Fort."

Thank you, and goodnight.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9