Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: The Jasper of Infinity  (Read 7696 times)

Fictionpuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Jasper of Infinity
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2010, 09:26:46 am »

Time travel has been proven.
[Citation Needed]
I guess I should have said theory(Mainly because I've watched a few documentaries on the subject and I cannot prove if each thing said is true/false)
Well, It's a bit of information to pull off my head. But from what I remember: A paradox would be created that if you were to travel back in time...but thats a theory, noone knows what would happen.

Edit: one of the links to a documentary i've watched on this subject: http://www.documentary-log.com/d276-the-worlds-first-time-machine/
(Note: I don't believe everything I hear.)
Ah, it's a sad story - his father dying when Mallet was only ten giving him the life-long ambition to build a time machine to save his father.

Unfortunately it's been debunked:
  http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0410078

Mallet hasn't responded yet, but it probably won't change his mind though. People believe what they want to, and connect the dots of justification however they please.

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2010, 09:50:22 am »

Time travel has been proven.
[Citation Needed]
I guess I should have said theory(Mainly because I've watched a few documentaries on the subject and I cannot prove if each thing said is true/false)
Well, It's a bit of information to pull off my head. But from what I remember: A paradox would be created that if you were to travel back in time...but thats a theory, noone knows what would happen.

Edit: one of the links to a documentary i've watched on this subject: http://www.documentary-log.com/d276-the-worlds-first-time-machine/
(Note: I don't believe everything I hear.)
Ah, it's a sad story - his father dying when Mallet was only ten giving him the life-long ambition to build a time machine to save his father.

Unfortunately it's been debunked:
  http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0410078

Mallet hasn't responded yet, but it probably won't change his mind though. People believe what they want to, and connect the dots of justification however they please.
Sad story indeed. It did seem a bit far fetched, but i jumped the gun out of stupidness with that post of "proved". I never usually jump the gun like that. This topics been going on for a bit now :\

Though I do enjoy new documentaries from that site, I've watched every one I could like and some outside of my comfort zones.
Though I never usually believe everything, like the most recent one with "weed" and I found that it was very biased towards one side. Just because a drug isn't as bad as another doesn't mean it's good.

PS: I noticed its (Submitted on 17 Oct 2004) so he probably will never respond?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 09:55:28 am by Dabi »
If a elf dies in a forest and only dwarfs are around to see it does anyone care?

Fictionpuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2010, 10:45:05 am »

i jumped the gun

Don't sweat it, if everyone didn't do this from time to time, the internet would be no fun at all.

Though I never usually believe everything, like the most recent one with "weed" and I found that it was very biased towards one side. Just because a drug isn't as bad as another doesn't mean it's good.

Oh c'mon, it's been proved that weed is great and gives you madjickal powers to open the doors of perception.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2010, 10:53:32 am »

I think there was a study done that "proved" (Not sure of it's authenticity) that people automatically believe everything they read until something/someone tells them otherwise, or if they can reason it out themselves. Can't remember where I found that...I'll post a link if I find it.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2010, 11:12:48 am »

...I can't believe that Mallett didn't catch this of his own solution:

"...Mallett found a solution of the Einstein equations in which closed timelike curves are present in the empty space outside an infinitely long cylinder of light..."

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2010, 12:24:41 pm »

Haha, yeah silver...I hope that wasn't directed to me >.<
Though I wouldn't say they "believe" it as much as some people just...don't give it a second thought. It was a while back when I watched that documentary that a few things were blured(not that I completely screwed up and forgot to check what I was saying)

A good example is this "2012" stuff. Alot of people believe it and I even know a few that "found out" about it from the hollywood movie 2012 and believe it. It's completely fictional convienent aswell as that just happens to be the same time the maya calender ends and starts again(Much like our 1 year calenders) and a few other things. I did laugh though at the science...at halfway I just turned it off.

Note: If someone was to read something..like how I read http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/ daily just to peak my interest how do am I to disprove what I see...I can only trust that what I see is the truth.

Note: The above is off the top of my head and it's now past midnight please correct me if i've made mistakes.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 12:33:10 pm by Dabi »
If a elf dies in a forest and only dwarfs are around to see it does anyone care?

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2010, 12:41:09 pm »

You guys are doing it wrong. You mustn't take a, say, fist-sized object and scale infinitely down, but start with an atomic detail and scale up from there (to infinity and, preferably, beyond).
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2010, 12:47:41 pm »

You guys are doing it wrong. You mustn't take a, say, fist-sized object and scale infinitely down, but start with an atomic detail and scale up from there (to infinity and, preferably, beyond).
Like someone said, there is a limit as the universe isn't infinite. Maybe i'm looking at what you said wrong.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2010, 01:00:28 pm »

Well, but whilst nothing can be modelled in sub-atomic sizes, you can increase indefinitely on the other end.
After all, in theory, space can be infinitely large (please correct me if I'm wrong.)
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2010, 01:09:57 pm »

Well, but whilst nothing can be modelled in sub-atomic sizes, you can increase indefinitely on the other end.
After all, in theory, space can be infinitely large (please correct me if I'm wrong.)
I forget the exact way to describe this...so i'll use this and its to late to research up again to see if i'm once again - completely wrong.

Space is like a inflated balloon, it's now being expanded constantly - but there is a point where it wont anymore and you will come to a point where it will stop. I'm pretty sure this is where everything is doomed in existance. So if you were to get a object, it will only be able to go to the max of space - which isnt infinite. Thus you can't have an object that is infinite.

Though, since we cannot travel at the speed of light - and to my knowledge wormholes are only a theory. You could have an object which is "infinite" in your view as you will never reach its potential if you are creating it because of the sheer size of space and the speed of light limit...the object is not massless(theoryssss) so you will not be limited. (The theory of massless = speed of light is from what I know if you picture us moving around - there is weight like water which affects how fast we can go etc...sorry im tired)

But it still stands, it stops at a point...but you will probably never reach that point - so it may be infinite to our current technology.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 01:15:55 pm by Dabi »

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2010, 01:22:24 pm »

Well, I meant a hypothetical infinite space with our particles.

Also, as far as I know, it is generally thought that the Big Chill will occur (instead of the Big Crunch)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2010, 01:32:50 pm »

Space is still finite.  It is infinitely large, but still finite.

Lets put it this way:
fire off a spaceship that travels a billion times the speed of light.  It can reach the "edge of the universe" fairly quickly (on a galactic time scale, it'll take 42 years to reach the edge of the visible universe).  It however, can't go any further, despite still traveling at a non-zero velocity, as because as it travels it pushes the "edge" farther away at a rate at least as fast as the ship's own.

This ship can travel forever (billions of years) and still never stop nor leave the universe, but at the same time it isn't creating matter or energy: space is infinitely large, but finite.

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2010, 01:37:37 pm »

Well, I wonder...If we get two mirrors at each end looking at eachother then wouldn't this mean it's infinite if there is enough detail and large enough? I mean it will just keep going and going - though this is just off the top of my head and I have no idea what i'm saying ... im going to go sleep.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2010, 01:40:45 pm »

Lets put it this way:
fire off a spaceship that travels a billion times the speed of light.  It can reach the "edge of the universe" fairly quickly (on a galactic time scale, it'll take 42 years to reach the edge of the visible universe).  It however, can't go any further, despite still traveling at a non-zero velocity, as because as it travels it pushes the "edge" farther away at a rate at least as fast as the ship's own.

This ship can travel forever (billions of years) and still never stop nor leave the universe, but at the same time it isn't creating matter or energy: space is infinitely large, but finite.

Wait... mindfuck.
I try to understand but can't :/

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2010, 01:42:35 pm »

Lets put it this way:

Wait... mindfuck.
I try to understand but can't :/
Basically your spreading everything out in simple terms(I'm pretty sure thats right)
Say you had a balloon, and a device which will fill it with 80% air, seal it, and then you begin to "stretch" the outer layer, There is the same amount of air - it is spread out but there is more "space". It's a hard thing to explain for me anyway when im half asleep
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9