Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Abandoned Worlds  (Read 1981 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Abandoned Worlds
« on: March 17, 2010, 07:03:07 pm »

While pondering the new version, a thought occurred to me. Due to the iterative nature of modding, I end up with a lot of abandoned Worlds. I constantly gen new worlds and start up fortresses to test out various new features and the vast majority end up sitting around doing nothing once I've tested out whatever it was. Most are eventually deleted to save space.

However, there is nothing inherently wrong with most of these fortresses. In fact, some of them have interesting terrain, a good mix of features, and are in a pretty stable state. It's kind of a waste.

Which brings up my thought.

Would people be interested in taking over these abandoned worlds? I don't have much sitting around for 40d, but I'll end up with loads of new worlds once the next version comes out. With the change Toady put in to have worlds keep their own copy of their raws, it should be trivial to upload a given world once I'm done with it for other people to play with.

And for fans of Civilization Forge, it'll give you a chance to play around with stuff as I work on it in between releases. ;)
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile
Re: Abandoned Worlds
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 10:26:37 am »

wouldn't it be boring without sieges?
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where nosebleeds melt your face off.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 10:44:21 am »

New version stores raws in its save file? Didnt know that. Thats rather convenient.

Though im not so much interested in random test world myself, I got plenty from my own buggering around and never realy have trouble finding an interesting site with my current set of worldgen parameters.

Other people might still find it usefull if they are less adept/patient with finding a neat site themselves. Though of course your worlds will be stuck with whatever you were testing when you made them.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 11:40:27 am »

wouldn't it be boring without sieges?

Why wouldn't there be sieges? I don't turn those off, especially since some of the tests would actually involve seeing how new races siege/ambush/etc.

@Grimlocke: I imagine some sites will be more interesting to people than others. For example, one of my test forts was a white sand desert that flooded every spring. Had a neat Egyptian feel to it. I also had one which was a very interesting hill fort next to a large lake. Both fun sites, and sadly gone now during one of the many clean ups. But I could see people wanting to play around with those.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
  • Swabbie-Poet of the Good Ship Urist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 12:43:26 pm »

Sounds like fun. I'd be game.

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 02:40:47 am »

For example, one of my test forts was a white sand desert that flooded every spring. Had a neat Egyptian feel to it.

Might i be able to get the info on that map? Such as the paramaters. i am curious as to how it flooded. I would want to gen it myself, mind you, but, finding where it is would help too.

It sounds like a truely fun challenge for one of my races, that i use my Glassmetal with. One of then, a carnivore race, who is usually at war with dwarves.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 02:42:42 am by Rivesand »
This is Dwarf Fortress! If we can chuck magma at innocent wildlife, we can do ANYTHING!

It was at this point that I realised that dwarves are actually the essence of chaos. What else can make perpetual motion machines, recursive statues with more building materials than the average tower and has such a short attention span that a damn fine chair can off-set the death of their entire family.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 09:50:36 am »

Sadly, I don't have it anymore. I did a massive clean-up of stuff at one point and that fort vanished with a bunch of other stuff.
Come play Mafia with us!

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 11:50:00 am »

well.. phoey... but any memory on what features caused the flooding?
This is Dwarf Fortress! If we can chuck magma at innocent wildlife, we can do ANYTHING!

It was at this point that I realised that dwarves are actually the essence of chaos. What else can make perpetual motion machines, recursive statues with more building materials than the average tower and has such a short attention span that a damn fine chair can off-set the death of their entire family.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 12:26:14 pm »

It was a biome change, I think. It seemed to have something to do with a difference between when part of the river froze compared to the rest. So water built up frozen until the lower river unfroze and everything just flooded for a while.
Come play Mafia with us!

Trigonous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 12:50:42 pm »

I would be interested.  I don't usually have trouble genning worlds, but with the number it sounds like you're going to do, you're sure to find something more interesting than me, like that flooding map.  Things like that are hard to find and usually only come from repeated genning/testing that I'm too lazy to do.
So of all the things you can do in DF, it's the fractal artifacts that make you think dwarves are crazy.

Never mind the magma falls, the atom smashers, the cog-and-axle turing-complete computers, or the colonizing of Hell itself... all those are fine, but man, those recursive artifacts! Where do they get such ideas?

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 01:22:20 pm »

thanks for the heads up... i'll see if i can find something like that, with a biome difference.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 12:11:20 am »

First abandoned world is up!

This is a basic starting fort in a 2x2 valley. It's been blocked out, so only the brook entrances from the top and bottom are open. A few ramps still need to be removed but that's all for defense. Military is basic but up and running, as is metalworking and most other industries.

This fort was used to test out the new animals (cave crabs, giant beetles, sugar beetles, pigs, and chickens).

Feel free to play around with it and do...whatever. Enjoy!
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 02:39:28 pm »

I see at least a few people have downloaded it. Any comments or stories so far?
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 02:07:40 pm »

The next Abandoned World is up!

Here you are the last hope of Dwarven Kind. All of the dwarven civilizations have fallen, and the last remnants now flock to your fortress, The Last Tower. This hilltop fortress is bordered on two sides by a natural moat formed by the cut of a brook, and has been walled off from the north and east.

This is another in-progress save of Civilization Forge 2. Here I've included the Sand Raiders, High Elves, Tainted Dwarves, Silver Xelics, Violet Xelics, and Vamarii.

The fortress is in its first winter and no Dwarven caravan has shown up, leading me to think that none will, although migrants still show up so it's not quite a 'last dwarves of the world' scenario for the starting 7.

Enjoy the fortress, and let me know how things work out over time. I need more long-term data to balance the mod!
Come play Mafia with us!