Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Do you find yourself spoiled by the new version already?  (Read 4908 times)

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do you find yourself spoiled by the new version already?
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 12:03:31 am »

Danjen cancels build fort: seeking new version. x200 :D

Actually, my current computer is broken, and I'm getting a much better one, so I can wait. :)
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2010, 01:46:35 am »

I'm maddened by the lack of Burrows.
Oh what i could achieve with them.

Also, Kill Orders. So much more efficient then stationing/restationing.
I hope you mean the lack of burrows in this version and not in the new version :O nothing changed has it?  ??? :o
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

yuriatayde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2010, 05:41:25 am »

Don't worry, burrows are still in or I'm sure I'd have noticed... because I watch this entire site like a hawk because I can't enjoy my DF anymore because I can't be bothered to micromanage my useless military!

I like living in dangerous areas, so obviously burrows are going to be my favorite thing. I plan to also completely abuse the military schedule thingie so all of my fortress defense will have rotating shifts, no more angry dwarves upset about long patrols! And if I don't like somebody, I can exile him into the underburrow where a single long-range hauler will have clearance to provide him only the most basic of food. He'll drink water. Once enough dwarves are sent there, I imagine I'll need to seal it up to prevent escapees because they'll be fighting over the severely limited food supply... oh the fun I'll have!

The current version is just too unplayable for me, I guess I'm spoiled. Bugs? I'll gladly weather the bugs! Might end up being the first time I actually participate in a bug report thread, I have a knack for finding things the developer of a game didn't think about. I'm cursed like that.

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2010, 08:03:37 am »

Lol yeah I despise those threads... "when will we get this, this, or this?"

This is the third game forum I've been on where one guy is programming the game by himself. I see those all the time.

Yeah, it's bad enough if it's a big budget title because you end up getting so much hype and the game ends up not living up to it, but when it's a single-coder title then it just delays the processes indeterminantly.

I know we all want to know what's in the game. But the good way to find it out is to get the new version when it's ready. SHH! ;)

Then again I'm the weird type that doesn't want to know about software ahead of time, I want to be surprised by it one day and find out that a game is out that I never heard of that is totally badass.

It's the main reason I generally stick with indie devs.
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2010, 08:06:38 am »

I'm not spoiled. I play 40d and keep thinking that there's no release incoming. Never.

And thus I play 40d and doesn't see a problem with things I got used to in this version ;)
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2010, 08:30:48 am »

I almost did until I found out that this one would have major adventure mode changes then I started to panic on the sweet utilities being made that's not backwards compatible.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2010, 08:34:03 am »

I almost did until I found out that this one would have major adventure mode changes then I started to panic on the sweet utilities being made that's not backwards compatible.

I suspect a number of people will tool around in the new version when it is released then revert back to 40d until some of the common tools (especially dwarf therapist) are updated to work in it.

I am not one of those people.
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

Paranatural

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2010, 08:53:30 am »

I find it hard to be "spoiled" by something that you don't have.  What you are doing is "falling into the trap of high expectations".

Like hell I am. I expect it to be fairly buggy and stuff, and that's OK. I don't think my expectations are high, per se. Actually I think I'm having trouble grokking the implications of some of the changes that are coming, especially with burrows. I just don't really understand them, I think. Anyway, I'm just really wishing I had some of the features that I know will be coming, such as crutches and medical dwarves and not watching the same dwarves lie in bed for years at a time with a yellow wound because they keep failing their heal roll.
The corpses appear to be primarily concentrated under the dead cat.  - Untelligent
Mental Health 6/6. You easily comfort yourself knowing that Paranatural's Hot Stubble And Deliciously Unwashed Armpits will be  waiting for you whatever happens.

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2010, 09:27:02 am »

I find it hard to be "spoiled" by something that you don't have.  What you are doing is "falling into the trap of high expectations".

In fact, Toady said in the recent "List Thread" post that people are probably going to find themselves spoiled by 40d, because the next release is probably going to be fairly buggy, and will need some new releases as he squashes common bugs.

Come, Luke!  Join the cynical side, and together, we can rule the... well, probably not much of anything.
This is why I'm waiting on posting my community/shared fortress idea and starting it until after the buggy new versions are bypassed for the new not-so-buggy version.
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

Lmaoboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2010, 10:41:45 am »

I can't wait until I don't have to dump/forbid individual items so my dwarfs will equip better ones.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2010, 10:57:00 am »

I'm currently waiting for kill orders and "Doctor Malpractice."
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2010, 12:40:59 pm »

I don't know what excites me more... Baking groundhog pancreas biscuits or building archer towers on stilts that are only accessible via retractable rope ladders. I'm weird that way.
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2010, 12:49:47 pm »

This makes going to war with elves ten times easier I hope. It would be nice if there was no restriction to who you could kill, like, make your only military dwarf kill himself with an axe.

I dunno. WOULD you want to go to war against the elves now? They've got nature on their side now.

*Imagines armies of Elves, War Hippos, Elephants, Giant Eagles, Giant Tigers, Lions, and Bears approaching the fortress from all sides*
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2010, 12:55:51 pm »

This makes going to war with elves ten times easier I hope. It would be nice if there was no restriction to who you could kill, like, make your only military dwarf kill himself with an axe.

I dunno. WOULD you want to go to war against the elves now? They've got nature on their side now.

*Imagines armies of Elves, War Hippos, Elephants, Giant Eagles, Giant Tigers, Lions, and Bears approaching the fortress from all sides*

I'm sorry, are you saying that is a reason NOT to go to war with the elves?  I'm a little confused...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2010, 01:14:00 pm »

I'm not spoiled. I play 40d and keep thinking that there's no release incoming. Never.

And thus I play 40d and doesn't see a problem with things I got used to in this version ;)

I'd like to actually take time out to say how reasonable this comment really is.

I mean, look at the devlog.  Toady is only going to "finish" this game at something like 2025, if he ever finishes at all.  There's always going to be something coming down the pipe that you'll be able to imagine will solve all your problems forever, and will have to battle down those unreasonable expectations, or will just do things like declare that you're not playing again until the new version comes out.  Why restrain yourself from doing something you want to do, like building a long-term fort, when, as soon as this next version comes out, you'll instantly start hearing of the new things in the NEXT version after that which will start setting your salivary glands into overdrive?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4