Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Do you find yourself spoiled by the new version already?  (Read 4909 times)

Paranatural

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do you find yourself spoiled by the new version already?
« on: March 17, 2010, 04:16:48 pm »

In my current fort I keep getting annoyed that I can't do stuff I know I'll be able to in the new version.

For instance, I have no less than 3 dwarves who are missing a foot. Oh, how I dream of crutches! Also, I have a Axe Lord who has killed a few dozen enemies, including a Dragon, with his trusty -Iron Axe-, how much I want it to be a named semi-artifact that the axe love will love and hug and call him george.

What about you guys?
The corpses appear to be primarily concentrated under the dead cat.  - Untelligent
Mental Health 6/6. You easily comfort yourself knowing that Paranatural's Hot Stubble And Deliciously Unwashed Armpits will be  waiting for you whatever happens.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do you find yourself spoiled by the new version already?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 04:20:12 pm »

I'm just ripping out hair waiting for it to be done.

Then I remember Toady has a life and doesn't spend his time huddled over a monitor in a dark basement, constantly coding and debugging and coding and debugging, alone, in the dark, coding and debugging...

So then I go and do something else.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 04:22:00 pm »

I'm definitely looking forward to the changes, particularly the military changes where you can set them to patrol zones, and they will automatically aggro on any hostiles within that zone, so your military will be much more proactive in seeking out invaders rather than just sitting back in a crossbow tower waiting for them to approach you.

I want them to hunt down enemies all over the map, at all times, just slaughter everywhere. It would be much more enjoyable rather than having horrific carnage only right in front of my crossbow tower but nowhere else.

The new underground features look awesome as well. I want to use those underground caverns to build freestanding buildings within them.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 04:23:10 pm »

I'm maddened by the lack of Burrows.
Oh what i could achieve with them.

Also, Kill Orders. So much more efficient then stationing/restationing.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

ShadowLuigi147

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McPicard has entered a martial trance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 04:24:53 pm »

I'm maddened by the lack of Burrows.
Oh what i could achieve with them.

Also, Kill Orders. So much more efficient then stationing/restationing.
This makes going to war with elves ten times easier I hope. It would be nice if there was no restriction to who you could kill, like, make your only military dwarf kill himself with an axe.
Ah, Dwarf Fortress. The only game where it's considered perfectly normal to discuss the most efficient method of farming and butchering friendly sentient beings for their valuable bones...

Maltay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 05:36:58 pm »

I eagerly await the absence of phantom pain.
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 06:19:26 pm »

I find it hard to be "spoiled" by something that you don't have.  What you are doing is "falling into the trap of high expectations".

In fact, Toady said in the recent "List Thread" post that people are probably going to find themselves spoiled by 40d, because the next release is probably going to be fairly buggy, and will need some new releases as he squashes common bugs.

Come, Luke!  Join the cynical side, and together, we can rule the... well, probably not much of anything.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 06:26:57 pm »

My DF just crashed and I lost a year of progress on a rather promising fort... so now I'm just waiting for the new version.

Hopefully hospitals will make living in a saltwater area easier.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 06:39:28 pm »

In fact, Toady said in the recent "List Thread" post that people are probably going to find themselves spoiled by 40d, because the next release is probably going to be fairly buggy, and will need some new releases as he squashes common bugs.

Yup. Note that its called 40d because there was 40a, 40b, and 40c and they had some major bugs in them.

Expect several bugfix releases for the month after release as the major bugs are hammered out.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 06:44:26 pm »

I start to feel the spoiling when setting up my military... multi legendary champs killing recruits with artifact weapons, then somehow replacing their artifact weapons with low quality iron ones they found in a dusty corner somewhere, everyone wearing low quality iron armor while the masterpiece steel goes untouched.  I'm looking forward to quite a few things in the next version :)

If we donate more money to Toady, I'm sure things will be easier on him.  I'll actually have a paycheck now, so I will do that soon.  Tithes for Toady! :D

OcelotTango

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 07:21:10 pm »

I'm sick with anticipation because I've been forbidding myself from playing a long term fort(or any fort at all for that matter), waiting for the new push. I do want the new features a lot, but mostly I want to play a long term fort, and get to starting my first mega project.

Malsqueek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 08:28:19 pm »

I decided two weeks ago that my last fort of 40d would be a megaproject so I wouldnt keep doing my "get to 100 ecstatic dwarves and restart from boredom" in hopes that by the time I am done with my current !!Strange Mood!! 2010 will be out, and i can start relearning the game all over again.

I do find myself desperately awaiting the burrows, though..

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 09:04:54 pm »

Burrows will be nice. I always find myself with too many dwarves, no idea what to do with them, then giving them some silly job and losing tack of them. Later, when I actually need them, I have no idea where they went.

With burrows, I can have my main fort were the dwarves I want & need live, and reserve supply of peasants. The outcaste, if you will. Then when I need dwarves, I just pull them from there... probably on a lottery, or maybe their personality or likes/dislikes, or possibly whoever I find that has an interesting name...
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 09:28:35 pm »

As much as it will make me unpopular to say, I kind wish Toady'd spend less time answering questions and more time coding until the next version is done, and then answer all the questions people have about it. Either that or people stop interrupting him with questions that amount to "Tell me about stuff before I get it so I can get more excited by the hype upcoming and delay it even more by the time you'll have to spend explaining it."
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 09:35:37 pm »

Lol yeah I despise those threads... "when will we get this, this, or this?"

This is the third game forum I've been on where one guy is programming the game by himself. I see those all the time.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4