Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New technique for swimming lessons  (Read 832 times)

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New technique for swimming lessons
« on: March 17, 2010, 10:00:08 am »

I just found a little bug in the dorf pathing code that allows fairly easy swimming training. I built this setup in my fortress, and just added a ton of stockpiles to the right. Everything else is on the left. When the mob of haulers ran by bringing things to the stockpile, I suddenly got "Dangerous Terrain" spam like crazy.

Turns out dwarves don't look down a ramp to see what the water level is before choosing to path across it. Even better, instead of jumping back off of the ramp, the dwarves are actually swimming across the 7 depth water to the opposite ramp and coming back up on the other side. After a very short time I had my first dabbling swimmer.

Can the dwarven scientific community please validate my findings?

....I wonder if this also applies to magma....
Graphical Overhaul 0.31 DFFD | Bundle |  Thread (beta3)
Raw Patcher DFFD  | Thread (1.0)
Graphical Overhaul 40d DFFD | Bundle
ASCII Tileset 40d DFFD  | Thread (2.0)

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New technique for swimming lessons
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 10:16:31 am »

Update: Looks like it requires less than 7 depth. I was mistaken in the first place, it was depth 6.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 11:05:06 am »

I've seen similar when dorfs decided to cross to the far side of an artificial river to fish every time, canceling jobs when they got into the river and realized it was deep enough to require swimming.  The down side of that setup was that the fish they were often carrying would get dropped or washed out of their grasp, and then either rot or fall victim to bug where objects pushed by water can get lost in limbo permanently.  I expect you could also get babies washed out of parent's arms, but you'll probably be safe if the water isn't flowing.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Meteorswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 11:09:48 am »

I can't grok your tileset, what is that setup?

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 02:28:21 pm »

It's floor tiles built over a 3-wide waterway, with ramps above/below the corners of the floors. The dwarves path across the ramps instead of the floor.

They dropped things frequently, yes, but because this is right next to a meeting area and the main stockpiles, another dwarf immediately jumps in the water and retrieves the object. I installed grates immediately south of this position to catch anything washing away.