Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Areas with a lot of resources...  (Read 2712 times)

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Areas with a lot of resources...
« on: March 17, 2010, 07:39:13 am »

So, I embarked on an area, and I was shocked. There was a lot of Bauxite, and as I looked around a bit more, many visible veins of platinum and even some Mithril, just right there in the open. I looked around a bit more, and saw a sapphire and ruby cluster in an area of Bauxite a bit higher up in the mountain. There is also plenty of sand, so glassmaking is good, and near and around the open chasm there are so many visible veins of Magnetite I don't want to count them. I also recently discovered my magma pipe, and guess what? Gold veins in the obsidian walls. I feel lucky right now.

So, tell us of your areas rich with resources...
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
Re: Areas with a lot of resources...
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 08:39:56 am »

Most mountain areas are like that, I think.  On my current one there were three deposits of magnetite visible right when I embarked and a vein of platinum.  I hit a vein of hematite not 5 grids into my entrance hall, and a vein of limonite after that.  My housing complex is in the middle of a magnetite blob, as as my meeting hall.

Also, there are so many trees outside dwarves have to zig-zag to move around, and the entire fortress so far is built in layers of dolomite.  Steel industry, here I come!
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Waffle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 09:29:53 am »

Heh. Had a map like that once. Though my most recent resource rich place was a magnetite blob and a friggin' platinum vein in that. Aluminium was also in high quantities two z's below that.
.... I caught a snatcher with a child once that way.  Bloody odd having a cage with a thing holding a small cage inside, with a child inside that.
Yo, we heard you liked captives.  So we put a cage in your cage, so you can capture while you're capturing!

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 10:56:53 am »

I've seen several maps that had about as much ore as regular stone, and then there's loads of maps where you're going to be hard pressed to find even a single vein.

What really topped it off was digging a shaft down 7 layers of rock in one of my earliest forts and finding, in this order;

Magnetite, magnetite, coal, magnetite, galena, galena, and then one of the other iron ores(Hematite, malachite..No idea, something iron-y)

There was no magma, but the coal helped with that.

Edit: listed 6 as the number before, but that's just me being bad at counting.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 12:53:25 pm by XSI »
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 12:46:13 pm »

It seems like it's pretty much all-or-none with most areas.  I frequently find my embarks on flux-rich sites have a good half-dozen magnetite veins (and at least half of them have a platinum vein in them), often a good dozen lignite and bituminous coal veins, and usually lots of some other set of metal ores further down (usually gold and sphalerite).  Then there are the forts where the only ore in the ground is cinnabar, but there's clusters of jewels all over the place instead of that mess of ore veins.
Sanity is for the weak.

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 01:24:27 pm »

I remember the first "all obsidian" map I had. I was so excited, my wealth shot through the roof. It sucked that I couldn't equip my dudes with iron armor for most of the game, but having almost unlimited amounts of obsidian swords meant that my weapon traps were so lethal I didn't even bother having an army.

Standard 3x10 hallway filled with weapon traps, each with 10 obsidian swords meant that the corridor was one big buzz saw.

I wish I had the knowledge at the time to create a "flushing" system with magma to "rinse away" the limbs and corpses, but /meh, what can you do.
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 02:08:57 pm »

One of my maps had so much copper I didn't know what to do with it... other than use it to smelt some of the more odd metals (billon, pewter).

I had so many tetrahedrite veins... I had something like 200 billon bars and for the first time started making metal crafts. >.<

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 04:49:05 pm »

I just genned a world where my embark point had huge amounts of trees, surface minerals consisting of bauxite, magnetite and platinum, underground gold, and HFS about 5 z-levels below where I started digging. Got raped by the HFS, though.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Flux, but no magma.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 06:33:29 pm »

My current area has two biomes:

Mirthful Shrubland: Sand (1 z-level), Chalk (5 z-levels) (about 1/3 is chalk, 1/3 is some kind of iron ore, and 1/3 is bauxite), Marble (3 z-levels), and Gabbro (6 z-levels, only stone with diamonds). 

Basically, all the ore, bauxite, and flux to last me about 30 years of constant smelting.

Mountain: Andesite and Rhyolite (12 z-levels, combined, they're the same thing, basically, and have plenty of copper), and Granite (17 z-levels, filled with bismuth, silver, and tin).

As a funny bonus, both the mayors I've had and the tax collector have loved Fine Pewter (and I have tin to spare), while my duchess likes copper.  (But they seem to like goblets, rings, bucklers, and doors much more.)

It also has a magma pipe, an underground river, a decent amount of trees (I have enclosed in a walled-in area, plus I'm working on tower cap farms), a bottomless pit, HFS, and a Chasm...  It does take a slightly large embark to make it all fit, though, so I'm dinged in my FPS, especially with the magma and water flows.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 06:35:28 pm »

I had so many tetrahedrite veins... I had something like 200 billon bars and for the first time started making metal crafts. >.<

I've had that. Fifteen year of digging and practically nothing but gold, tetrahedrite, and some copper. By the end I had gold, billon, electrum, copper, silver, and iron bars (from gobs)... but not much else.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 07:37:26 pm »

Before the great Argonnekkian Computer Reformat of '10, I had a site that had magma, layers and layers of chalk, several globs of magnetite, multiple b-coal veins, gold veins every other z-level... then I got that stupid virus.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 08:46:41 pm »

Before the great Argonnekkian Computer Reformat of '10, I had a site that had magma, layers and layers of chalk, several globs of magnetite, multiple b-coal veins, gold veins every other z-level... then I got that stupid virus.

Yeah, I'm developing favorite layers, and Chalk, Limestone, and Granite are it.  (Special mention to Gabbro and Marble.)

Which is why I was quite happy that I had four of those five I just mentioned.

It's actually a bit of a pity that I can't be bothered to do more exploratory mining, because I could be up to my neck in coal, bauxite, steel, or the like, but I am still putzing around with making a hydromechanical powerplant, a tree cap farm, or a half-dozen more indoor waterfalls, or the like.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 10:14:48 pm »

Yeah, I'm developing favorite layers, and Chalk, Limestone, and Granite are it.  (Special mention to Gabbro and Marble.)

Which is why I was quite happy that I had four of those five I just mentioned.

It's actually a bit of a pity that I can't be bothered to do more exploratory mining, because I could be up to my neck in coal, bauxite, steel, or the like, but I am still putzing around with making a hydromechanical powerplant, a tree cap farm, or a half-dozen more indoor waterfalls, or the like.

I'm big on Chalk, Marble, Limestone in that order.

Also do you have the worldgen params up anywhere? And was it genned with any mods?
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

Shadefox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 07:11:01 am »

Obsidian, z level after z level of natural obsidian.  Funny thing is, I was intending to try doing an obsidian farm....

Also has a ton of copper and iron

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2010, 09:11:32 am »

Just embarked and had two veins of gold when I dug the first staircase... needless to say I smelted 175 bars of gold my first year.
Pages: [1] 2