Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Areas with a lot of resources...  (Read 2708 times)

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
Re: Areas with a lot of resources...
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2010, 03:39:22 pm »

My current map has piles of iron, coal and flux, along with most every other type of ore. Unfortunately, the predominate stone is mudstone, which looks really ugly.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2010, 06:27:08 pm »

I'm big on Chalk, Marble, Limestone in that order.

Also do you have the worldgen params up anywhere? And was it genned with any mods?

I do, but I'll just re-post it.

This was/is my first fort.  No mods, but the cat mouth mod, pretty much.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 12:08:28 am by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2010, 06:55:33 pm »

A small experimental fortress I'm running has a large chasm running from one side through the middle to the other side of the map, zig-zagging enough that every embark tile is considered near the chasm.  By now most of the surface is covered in cave spider webs, and inside they're appearing faster than my weavers can deal with them.  I hadn't been intending to build a silk-based economy and trade strategy when I set out, but that's the direction I seem to be going now.  Never mind that the site has HFS and more magnetite and gems than I can deal with, it's becoming the silk capital of the world.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2010, 07:25:25 pm »

A small experimental fortress I'm running has a large chasm running from one side through the middle to the other side of the map, zig-zagging enough that every embark tile is considered near the chasm.  By now most of the surface is covered in cave spider webs, and inside they're appearing faster than my weavers can deal with them.  I hadn't been intending to build a silk-based economy and trade strategy when I set out, but that's the direction I seem to be going now.  Never mind that the site has HFS and more magnetite and gems than I can deal with, it's becoming the silk capital of the world.

Hmm... how is that working out for you?

I have cats, and won't really get rid of them (have enough in cages that I don't have to worry about catsplosion, since I'm long past 50), so when I got cave spiders from my underground river, but couldn't trap any easily, I just shrugged and ignored them.  (And will soon flood them out.)

I have PLENTY of pig tails and rope reeds from my overly large farm, and since they basically are worth the same as (non-GCS) silk, I figured trying to find a way to use spiders without letting my cats kill them all the time, or relocating my weavers nearer the UR was more trouble than it was worth.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2010, 07:26:55 pm »

There are no cats on cave spider silk mountain.  Any immigrants who bring cats will be thrown into the chasm along with their evil pets that would harm my precious, precious cave spiders.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2010, 02:17:46 am »

replace them with giant cave spiders

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2010, 07:41:20 am »

My map is drowning in native silver. It has no magma, but I think I can find coal (good mixture of stone layers), so I'll kep my hopes up.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2010, 12:02:07 am »

My map is drowning in native silver. It has no magma, but I think I can find coal (good mixture of stone layers), so I'll kep my hopes up.
You know charcoal works the same as refined coal, right?
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2010, 01:01:58 am »

Yeah, but I don't want to waste too much wood, I need it for beds/barrels/bins/etc.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

smokingwreckage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2010, 03:42:29 am »

Can I just mod out the boring stone? Because I am sick to the back teeth of playing "Farm Fortress".

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2010, 06:24:20 am »

Can I just mod out the boring stone? Because I am sick to the back teeth of playing "Farm Fortress".

Yes, it is possible to mod out some stones and layers of stone you do not want. However, you can not remove all stone layers, as the game will then give you a placeholder 'stone' material.

I think it was just deleting the raw files of the stone you don't want and generating a new world, but remember to make backups first.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 
Pages: 1 [2]