Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "One thing's for sure, we're all going to be a lot thinner!"  (Read 1117 times)

deoxy

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert witty comment here.
    • View Profile
"One thing's for sure, we're all going to be a lot thinner!"
« on: March 16, 2010, 11:03:57 pm »

I've added a few fun things that I'd like to share.

The first is a trap component, the Crushing Plate:
Code: [Select]
[ITEM_TRAPCOMP:ITEM_TRAPCOMP_CRUSHINGPLATE]
[NAME:plate:plates]
[ADJECTIVE:crushing]
[DAMAGE:200:BLUDGEON]
[WEIGHT:300]
[HITS:1]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:8]
[IS_SPIKE]
[WOOD]
[METAL]

So, it does less damage than the giant axe AND has no crit... but it can go in Spike traps!  Personally, I only put them where there is a ceiling or a wall on both sides (just like I only put stone fall traps where there is a ceiling), but there's currently no way to make the game do that.  Just some variety... and I think it's fun to have something like a bridge/atom smasher that actually doesn't destroy all their stuff when it hits them!

The next is a new race to add if you think orcs are a bit too tame:

Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:ARACHNYD]
[NAME:arachnyd:arachnyds:arachnyd]
[TILE:'A'][COLOR:7:0:0]
[GLOWTILE:'"'][GLOWCOLOR:4:0:1]
[GENPOWER:2]
[EVIL]
[NOPAIN]
[NOFEAR]
[LOCKPICKER][TRAPAVOID]
[MODVALUE:25]
[UTTERANCES][CAN_LEARN][CAN_CIV][LIKES_FIGHTING][NOSKULL][NOBONES][CHITIN]
[CANOPENDOORS][CARNIVORE]
[EXTRACT:arachnyd venom:7:0:0]
[EXTRACT_VALUE:100]
[EXTRACT_PARALYZE_INTERMITTENT]
[WEBBER][THICKWEB][WEBIMMUNE]
[PREFSTRING:bulbous eyes]
[PREFSTRING:many legs]
[PREFSTRING:enormous fangs]
[BODY:ARACHNYD:8EYES:4BOOKLUNGS:HEART:GUTS:BRAIN:3CLAWS:MOUTH]
[MAXAGE:30:50]
[ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:MOUTH:bite:bites:5:10:PIERCE][ATTACKFLAG_CANLATCH][SPECIALATTACK_INJECT_EXTRACT:50:100]
[ATTACK:SECOND:BYTYPE:GRASP:claw:claws:2:4:SLASH]
[CHILD:5][LITTERSIZE:6:10]
[SIZE:4]
[DAMBLOCK:6]
[FAT:3]
[EQUIPS]
[STANDARD_FLESH]
[HOMEOTHERM:10067]
[LAYERING:10]
[SWIMS_LEARNED][SWIM_SPEED:2500]
[PERSONALITY:ANGER:20:60:100]
[PERSONALITY:IMMODERATION:20:60:100]
[PERSONALITY:EXCITEMENT_SEEKING:80:90:100]
[PERSONALITY:ACTIVITY_LEVEL:70:85:100]
[PERSONALITY:CHEERFULNESS:0:40:90]
[PERSONALITY:ALTRUISM:0:50:100]
[PERSONALITY:SYMPATHY:0:5:10]
[PERSONALITY:VULNERABILITY:0:5:10]
[PERSONALITY:ANXIETY:0:10:20]
[PERSONALITY:FRIENDLINESS:50:75:100]
[PERSONALITY:ASSERTIVENESS:100:100:100]
[PERSONALITY:COOPERATION:70:85:100]

Basically, it's a GCS, only not so large, able to wield weapons, wear a little armor (body only, basically), pick locks, avoid traps, and attack in large groups.

Yes, the name is lame.  I'm VERY open to suggestions.

Also, I made it only size 4 for now... I suspect that mass webbing along with paralyzing bites from the wrestlers will MORE than make up for it.  The entity is a lot like the orcs.

I've face them once, and it was a small group, and it was nasty.  I do think I need to give them a ranged weapon (they currently rely on their webbing only)...

Basically, I wanted something like orcs that was nasty in combat, but that didn't leave so much nice stuff to melt down.

Anybody know if there's a way to make another civ butcherable?

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "One thing's for sure, we're all going to be a lot thinner!"
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 11:55:48 pm »

On the butcherable-other-civ thing, I think there are some ethics in the dwarf raw files that you can change around to make them totally okay with consuming the deceased.

Also, an army of tiny GCS that wield weapons kinda freaks me out. Should be Fun.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 04:58:13 pm »

The only problem with making new IS_SPIKE components is the death message will be "the goblin was impaled on a crushing iron plate!"
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

deoxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 11:05:38 pm »

HA!  I hadn't thought of that... of course, that will only apply (in fortress mode) if you manage to get a friendly killed on it.

And really, I can handle a little flavor text deviation.  But it IS funny.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 11:11:41 pm »

Next version, with combat reports, it may be a little more bothersome, assuming death messages work the same way.
!!&!!

deoxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 01:16:22 am »

I'm really, REALLY hoping that's optional, on a secondary screen, or in some way able to be turned off.  While reading them for certain battles could be fun at times, I REALLY don't want it to have to put up with that crap when I have a couple of wrestlers mixing it up with a pile of zombies for a season or so...

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 05:49:13 pm »

If I remember correctly you have to press a button to open up a second menu that has the combat reports in it.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 08:37:55 pm »

Though next version it will be a lot easier to deal with the goblinite/orcite piles, as you can give creatures natural armour. Right now you only have damblock, which is like some invisible layer of defence across the whole body.

So you could for example give your spiders only a moderate strength exoskeleton on the legs, and a strong exoskeleton on the body. And less fat (in fact do arachnides even have fat?). And another name :P

Though im quite horrible at naming things myself, I made a race of cave dwelling demonoid size 8 creatures that wield all sorts of cruel weapons and murder my dwarves quite succesfully, but I just cant seem to find them a decent name.

Also, the buthering sentient things by messing up ethics works, but only untill you save and load you game. After that your dwarves will be all 'eww im not gonna buther that' whilst gnawing on some delicious goblin biscuits.

Next version I hope that will be fixed. I want my live-entirely-of-cannibalism challenge.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!