Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Post your DF dreams!  (Read 1443 times)

Banana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Post your DF dreams!
« on: March 16, 2010, 10:11:48 pm »

« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 08:45:48 am by Banana »

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
Re: Post your DF dreams!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 11:52:59 am »

Visions of horror:

&&&&&&&&&
&&&&&&&&&
&&&&H&&&&
&&&&&&&&&
&&&&&&&&&

Any questions?

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 12:16:24 pm »

I was in a control room with levers all around me, and a computer monitor in the front of the room surrounded by a bunch of levers.

On the computer monitor was a live feed of a topdown view of a REAL dwarf fortress.
Instead of dorfs and booze it was a giant maze filled with random traps. I pulled a lever and it activated some random traps. A lot of people I knew were running around the maze, and so were a crapload of dorfs and cats. I remember one of the levers set them free, the rest activated traps that killed something. I remember not being allowed to leave until I freed them.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 12:22:07 pm »

The interesting thing (well, one of them anyway) about my mind is that it can model computer programs accurately. I've found myself playing DF as well as Gmod, Marathon, and even games I've never seen before(my mind must've made them itself, and wanted to show them to me :P). Sure beats the "HAHAHA I'M JUST GOING TO MAKE HIM GO TO SCHOOL IN HIS DREAM AND WHEN HE WAKES UP HE'LL HAVE TO GO THERE AGAIN" or "HEY, LET'S REMEMBER SOME OF THE MOST TRAUMATIZING EXPERIENCES OF OUR LIFE" dreams. those two often overlap too...
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Chicken Launcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Poultry Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 08:22:00 pm »

In my dream I decided to just play the current dev version (because that was available) instead of waiting for the full new version. The game wasn't on my computer exactly, I was sort of just seeing it. The menu background was an awesome 3d view of an entrance to a fort in a storm. Most of the view taken up by the two huge closed wooden doors, and the stone wall around them. There were a few steps leading up to the doors. In game I just genned a few worlds before I woke up. But that fort looked awesome. I'll have to visit it in a lucid dream sometime.
"Did you ever notice any time you see two groups of people who really hate each other, chances are good they’re wearing different kinds of hats? Keep an eye on that, it might be important." - George Carlin

jimjulius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 08:42:49 pm »

@ Banana,

I'm glad someone else is into lucid dreaming :). I tried to explain it to my friends and they ripped me for weeks. Out of curiousity, do you have lucid dreams without effort, or do all the mental exercises like reality checks etc.?

I've had two DF dreams, both non-lucid. One was in asci like normal, except there was some crazy in-depth narrative which I can't really remember, I think I might have been a 2D dwarf for a while.

The other was when I was playing what I believed to be the final release of DF, which had smoothly rendered 3D graphics, but all the functionality and depth of the current game and more. I thought it was the best game I had ever played. I was very dissapointed when I woke up :(.

[EDIT] Oh yeh, you said you did a reality check. Used to do them all the time myself, but couldn't be arsed with the hassle of writing down my dreams as soon as I wake up, so now my dream memory is rubbish. Good times though!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 08:47:07 pm by jimjulius »

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 08:53:45 pm »

I had a dream where I was having an epic battle on a small bridge over a giant magma pipe, when i thought, hey this reminds me of my fort in DF, then I turned 2d and everything got a whole lot less epic.  Though being 2d was interesting.
Nom nom nom

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 09:49:05 pm »

I just keep having visions of green landscapes IN ASCII. doesn't fit anywhere and I am disappointed at the lack of magma
Thank you based dwarf.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 11:12:48 pm »

I remember having a dream a few days ago where I talked with my captain of the guard. The captain is my favourite dwarf in the whole fortress, and I'd probably give anything to actually meet him. Of course, the dream ended with him having to run off and fight off a horde of goblins.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

xoen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 12:53:25 am »

Post your DF dreams!

I had one..
erm..it was...wet..and messy..
(before it gets tooo far, lol)
Doomshifter, aren't these hair..HANDS touching her breasts?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 12:57:17 am by xoen »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 02:09:18 am »

@ Banana,

I'm glad someone else is into lucid dreaming :).
Careful with "*sex scene edited out*" during lucid dreaming though, sometimes you may start to speak to yourself in your dream and if your wife/girlfriend hears it you may be beaten while you sleep :P. I had such experience.

Also today I saw a weird dream. I was in my grandma's village and there were castles and huge buildings everywhere instead of village houses. And I somehow knew that dwarves did it.  :-\
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 02:11:34 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Os Q

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 01:22:37 pm »

About a year ago I had a dream where I genned a world, picked a site and found a cave OCEAN. Complete with cave whales and waterfalls coming down from the surface. I thought "I gotta tell the forum" and was I really pissed off when I found out it was just a dream.

(Perhaps I envisioned the future? Toady said lakes were extending underground in the Devlog)

I also had a dream where I was a speardwarf and got my head cut off by an orc.
..at least put some spikes in your clubs for goodness sake!

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 01:58:15 pm »

I dreamt last night I had to help the king Urist with a problem.
I went out to the fortress, and entered the main hallway, there I was instantly blinded by microcline. However, the microcline was not the problem.
Urist told me they had a flood in the lower levels of the fortress, and carp had come to feast upon the dwarves. I went down and had a gruesome battle against the carp. And when I came back, all the dwarves sat waiting for me in the dining hall with a cup each, and then King Urist proposed a toast for me, and all the dwarves cheered at me... Then I woke up.
A fun thing was, that the dwarves called me Obok  :D
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Ravenplucker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 04:05:48 pm »

I remember when I first started playing dwarf fortress, i got incredibly frustrated and i couldn't remember how to do anything. I went to sleep determined never to play the game again. the weird thing was the dream i had that night went from initial embarking to setting up a good sized fortress, and when i woke up i could remember most of the stuff that was pissing me off before.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2010, 09:35:29 pm »

Dwarf fortress game mechanics combined with Cities XL level graphics. That was definately one of my more awesome dreams.
Pages: [1] 2