Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Strange Modding Bug  (Read 743 times)

BigB

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
A Strange Modding Bug
« on: March 16, 2010, 07:07:25 pm »

So, I spent a good portion of today getting back into Dwarf Fortress in preparation for the new release.  I originally sought to combine Dig Deeper with a few mods, but I eventually decided to just play Kobold Camp put alongside RantingRodent's graphics set.  That took some work; I had to hunt down 40d16, install that, download the two mods, work out compatibility for them... interesting stuff.

Anyway, I finally managed to find a good site: a medium-sized cave in a temperate climate and plenty of trees to support my barbarians.  But when I checked out the cave and its residents, I was almost paralyzed with fear:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This isn't a normal bug either; all six of them stayed around both in the Unit menu and on the main screen.  Bizarre.  Needless to say, I wasn't ready for that at all.  So, I have two questions for you guys:

1) What the hell happened?  I don't think either of my mods turn GCS into common cave-dwellers.
2) Should I risk the site?  I'm working with Kobolds, not Dwarves, although I have given them the tools to domesticate animals.  A GCS army would be fun, but it would be a living hell until then.

In any case, I hope you enjoyed this short-but-sweet incident.  Maybe you're as confused as I am, I wouldn't be surprised.

P.S. Three are male, three are female.  Opportunities abound if I can manage to capture them.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: A Strange Modding Bug
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 06:34:33 am »

with D16 you got 2 easy choices
1. get civ changer s(t)eal one or all of them and leash them some where in the cave.
2. use DC mod you a super kobold and toss him/her into the area
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 06:50:56 am »

Just check the raws and see what biome tags your GCSs now have, and otherwise compare them to the normal ones.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 07:07:51 am »

I think GCS inhabit caves normally, but they tend to be rare. I'm not entirely certain, but I think the SUBTERRANEAN biome includes caves.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 07:09:32 am »

SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM does seem to include caves. Interesting.

Maybe your modded version is just lacking enough other creatures to put in caves?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 10:30:42 am »

Did you remember to delete your data/objects folder before starting & genning? Could be duplication issue perhaps?
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach