Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Finding "features"  (Read 578 times)

r3d5kull

• Bay Watcher
  • Hows this look for professional.
    • View Profile
Finding "features"
« on: March 16, 2010, 05:41:08 pm »

Hey I have spent all of about an hour digging around looking for and underground river due to lack of water  at the surface. how do I make it so I can see the river without actually finding it?

PS I'm ok if you refer me to a different thread

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
Re: Finding "features"
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 07:23:44 pm »

Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

SocietalEclipse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 10:02:26 pm »

If you do exploratory mining with gaps between shafts and you don't stumble on the underground river itself look for the typical vermin.  Olms and cave spiders will show up randomly in the region of the river.

deoxy

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert witty comment here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 10:46:24 pm »

Easiest way is to use Reveal, them kill the process so that you don't save the changes (or make a backup copy first, either way).

If you just want a hint on hidden features, you can see which embark tiles they are in by hitting D (assuming you have a depot built) - when you look underground, it's all red Ds, of course... except in the embark-tile-sized area with underground features.  They stay all black.  This should let you know which areas to look in.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 10:51:15 pm »

You know, before using external utilities, you could just make special features viewable on embark. There are options in both the init file and the worldgen parameters for this.

This way, you can see in which areas of the embark rectangle your features are in, making them easy to find once you're playing.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
  • make due with what you have
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 01:17:21 am »

stonesense seems to act like a "read only" version of a revealer for stuff like underground rivers and magama pipes or HFS

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 08:50:13 pm »

If you just want a hint on hidden features, you can see which embark tiles they are in by hitting D (assuming you have a depot built) - when you look underground, it's all red Ds, of course... except in the embark-tile-sized area with underground features.  They stay all black.  This should let you know which areas to look in.

Man, how am I going to resist the temptation to do that now?

r3d5kull

• Bay Watcher
  • Hows this look for professional.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 08:58:29 pm »

Thanks everyone you helped a lot! I saved my Fortress with 7 people to spare... and they are the children of the original 7. I find it weird how they reproduce so quickly...

smokingwreckage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 09:39:55 pm »

Visual Fortress works too.