Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: global disasters  (Read 3005 times)

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: global disasters
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2010, 03:40:27 pm »

Urist McNoble has mandated the construction of a wooden ark

LMAO

I would kill for that in game, and works with the space ship challenge so well.  after words you have too settle back in your fortress.

flooding, global warming, or ice ages should not kill a fort, as water will not push through z levels under pressure, you could easily just lock the fortress front door, global warming and the lack of water should not effect under ground crops and water is not need to make booze, ice ages should again not effect underground crops or water supply's for the same reason, I do not see either as effecting a fortress in any way, shape or form.  from Atanamis  post it seems like we will get this sooner or latter *prob latter*.  It would be cool if you could force things to happen in world gen too

say # global floods
# of earth quakes
 hurricane level

now imagine the random glory one would get in there world.  The world gen has already been rumored to be sentient but this would be over the top
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2010, 10:10:25 am »

Unless you want Fun from flying creatures, any exposed airways should be already be hatched or otherwise, allowing very little bits of water in the result of a lowland flash flood.

Floods should also peter out too fairly quickly, with water levels quickly returning to normal after a short period.

"Urist MacEngineer cancels operate ballista, terrain unsafe
Goblin has drowned
Goblin has drowned
goblin had drowned
Goblin has drowned"

Now tell me that wouldn't make some defences interestingly one sided(Assuming you like to punish yourself some.)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Nobbins

• Bay Watcher
  • Dustland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2010, 12:19:40 pm »

Maybe if there's enough water stacked on/near a hatch/door, the hatch/door would break, to make it more interesting.

Also, maybe you'd get a message beforehand, as if a siege were happening.

"You hear a distant rumbling..." (month later) "You hear a rumbling sound, closer." (month later) "Armok's fist has shaken the earth at your fortress!"
Nobbins's Tileset Shoppe
It would mean that once a year, all of your female cats suddenly explode if there are any male cats around.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2010, 03:44:57 pm »

Eventually weight will be properly implemented and even those precious ceilings won't be enough to save you.

After three months of preparation, the dwarves have finally prepared. The distant blue horizon has grown bigger every day, and now it looks to be only a few dozen miles off. Children and gatherers are hurried behind the stern steel doors and microcline walls, not a single crack or crevice left intact by the masterful masons.
After only an hour or two, the rumbling becomes overwhelming, forcing all but the most fearless dwarves back into their subterranean homes, leaving the mayor and a few strong soldiers to bear witness to the structural integrity of the only defence they have.
Eventually the wave crashes down upon the door and walls, each bending or moaning in protest, the guardsmen throw their weight against the three inch thick door but the hinges snap and tear across the small covered space, pushed by a wall of azure water. It takes a few moments for the children and workers below to discover what has been happening up above, as the tunnel fills. A few dwarves hide in their room, hoping to hold back the tide and swim out when the worst has passed, but, trapped deep in the bowels of the mountains, even the passing of the flood does not save them. The lucky ones venture out and drown quickly. The most stubborn just... fade away.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2010, 10:13:01 am »

that could possibly be the exact text to use if you fall to a flood

but if you think about constructions(such as walls) are indestructible, encasing your fortress should not take all that long, 3 or 4 masons can build a triple thick wall in maybe a year with bad management, 8 could do it in a few seasons with the right management.

maybe also new civs could pop

a new goblin civilization has emerged
the yetimen of the north have established a small village
(or at-least some kind of randomness were lesser critters can become a civ)
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2010, 05:26:31 pm »

Urist McNoble has mandated the construction of a wooden ark
Would it be inappropriote to joke about Urist McJesus being hammered for failing to meet a mandate?
... to a cross?
Urist McJesus cancels task: too injured
Urist McJesus has bled to death.
Hammerer McJudas is more experienced.

Natural distasters would cool to me, inconvinent, but in a fortress that's inpenetable by goblin sieges, a once in a lifetime natural disaster could be Fun.  As as long as floods, for example, give ample time to prepare.  Or, the embark screen could provide a warning if the area is known to flood or if earthquakes are common.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 05:29:50 pm by Euld »

Someguyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2010, 05:51:47 pm »

I believe this would be totally epic, but, I think it should be the player's choice whether the disasters happen at all, it should be an option in the init. That way people can choose if they happen at all, and maybe even more specifically, options to turn off flooding, or earthquakes, etc.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2010, 08:30:54 pm »

Lets not forget how much memory this would take up...

FPS=0.2012 :P

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2010, 10:21:17 am »

Wow.

Didn't realize my post would be such a thread-ender.... :o

Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2010, 11:57:19 am »

Where did you learn the redemption spell!?
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2010, 07:49:57 pm »

I'd say more frequent and less potentially disastrous flood mechanics would be better. Brooks could temporarily transform into full rivers, forcing you to use bridges instead for a while. Rivers could gradually overflow their banks until they started to fill the next z-level, which would require a bit more forethought. The new alert states should help; when you get a "the river is flooding!" message, you tell your dwarves to close watertight doors screening off your wells and any entrances at river-level, and turn on drainage pumps to remove any water that does get in. (This would work better once it's possible to move water up multiple z-levels with a single pump.)  I'm sure particularly enterprising players can find a way of using magma in this scenario as well.
The volume of extra water and how long it stayed would depend on weather conditions, so you'd get occasional flash floods that carried away a few dwarves and animals or flooded your lowest level until you could pump it clear, but mostly there'd be enough warning to prevent lasting damage so long as you allowed for it in your fortress design.

Volcanic eruptions could work much the same, but with magma; it starts to overflow the pipe, so you shut off the flow to the magma forges and make sure your perimeter walls are all built of something that won't melt. Pompeii-style mudslides might be a bit harder to survive, but they'd also be harder to model.

Which brings me to another possible game mechanic; landslides. There are already plans for erosion to keep happening after embarking, but if the game were to track soil moisture content, you could have heavy rain cause hillsides to collapse and possibly force you to dig your entrance back out.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

xoen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2010, 08:02:21 pm »

RARE
floodings,
fire from sky,
erosion,
very long winters,
volcano eruptions,
on/off switch.

Would be nice...

Ark idea is insane, just IMAGINE that, moving all fort contents to other place(and returning after flooding, pumping out water from fort, fixing damages....).
And not enough time for packing all stuff.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 08:04:46 pm by xoen »

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2010, 07:34:08 pm »

I think that any natural disaster should be handled just like an unnatural one; like when the dwarves in your crypts start to rise and  attack your fort:
1. it would be considered HFS
1b. and therefore cannot be switched off
2. (related to 1) should happen in an unpredictable manner
3. should be VERY RARE
4. could perhaps be the 'end scenario', in that either
     a. it causes sudden death like in 2-D
     b. is the ultimate challange to face in the game; and
     c. a player that beats one could be considered to have 'won'
5. (most important!)  this is all YEARS in the future; and who knows, Toady One probly has FAR cooler stuff in store for us by then.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2010, 11:58:18 pm »

Lets not forget how much memory this would take up...

FPS=0.2012 :P

No, it would be worse. I'm sitting here waiting 5-10 minutes plus for my ocean to partially unfreeze. The CPU is maxed, so I know it's still chugging along.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2010, 04:27:19 pm »

Then FPS=1/2012; or ~4.97x10-4

Pages: 1 [2] 3