Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Flaming dwarves!(And other suggestions)  (Read 1425 times)

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
Flaming dwarves!(And other suggestions)
« on: May 27, 2008, 02:48:00 pm »

I'd like to start by saying, not all of these are original. Some of these may very well be, and probably are, already up in other threads. However, I figure so long as one idea is original then its fine. I only checked one of my ideas, and since that wasn't up I could follow the above logic fine.

Dwarven Sexuality

The thought first hit me when it came up in my Nation States game which I made after one of my forts. Why not have gay dwarves? And Lesbian and Bisexual for that matter. Add a bit of realism to the game. Hell, you could even add it as an optional crime for all those conservatives out there.

Crime and Punishment

Ever think that the punishments are too harsh? Or get pissed off at your nobles for getting the hammerdwarf to beat the shit out of a dwarf because of a mandate that wasn't followed? Well, why not be able to set what is a crime and what isn't yourself? And you may as well be able to set the punishment for certain crimes yourself too. Also, another thing that could be added to the crimes would be going into a restricted area, so that rather than making dwarves not WANT to go through that area, it makes them avoid it at all costs.

Low Quality Goods

Something thats been bugging me is that there are higher grade items, but no lower grade items. It makes no sense to me that the worst that a dabbling dwarf can make is what some competent dwarves normally make. So rather than having a standard item being the lowest possible quality, why not add worse quality items? Like a Flawed Toy Hammer or something?

Uses For Poison

On the startup menu there are poisons you can bring with you, but there seem to be no use for them. Why not make them part of traps? You could have a poison dart trap, so a terribly weak dart delivering a deadly poison would make for a decent trap. Or even add it as an option for an army dwarf to use on his weapon.

Stone Beds

This one I know has been mentioned before, but felt like it should be mentioned again. Dwarves are supposed to live INSIDE of mountains, meaning they should have no reliance on wood or other things one would find solely above ground. Rather than making wooden beds a necessity for a bedroom, they should be a luxury with stone beds being the norm.

Tree Growing

It takes a lot of time for trees to grow in areas where there are trees, so why not be able to grow trees like you do with other plants? They could still take awhile to grow, but it would make it less of a problem waiting for trees to grow.

Sandbox Mode

A lot of these sort of games have Sandbox Mode, where one can do pretty much as he pleases, edit the terrain, edit what you have and some such. This could be useful for those just starting the game, or those looking for a VERY specified fort location. This could be a sort of one shot fortress even. Though it would probably take a lot of work.

Forced Sparring

I've seen a few people having problems getting dwarves to spar, and I myself have had little luck with it, so how about adding a sparring location in a squad's menu? And add "Spar" to the list of options rather than just on and off duty. It'd make it easier to train dwarves, and would be a bit more realistic to  be able to force them to spar then it is to just let them when they feel like it.

I had more that I thought up in Chem, but forgot on the bus ride home so this is all I've got.

Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flaming dwarves!(And other suggestions)
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 03:13:00 pm »

Chemistry always makes you think of cool neat things.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 03:14:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Draco18s:
<STRONG>Chemistry always makes you think of cool neat things.</STRONG>

Nah, I was trying to avoid working on the review.

Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 03:41:00 pm »

Alright... since you split it up... here are my comments, suggestions, and something... Ok I guess only comments and suggestions... Rejections and acceptance.
Warning: I am a negative person with little tact... so PLEASE don't hate me... I also cannot spell well.

"Dwarven Sexuality"
-I say no... Lets stay away from Controvercy. It is hard enough to get non-asexual beings (Dang it Dwarves... REPRODUCE ALREADY!!!)
--On another note it is pretty sad how overly simplistic relationships are as it is... The game as it is could only REALLY just put "Wife" between two same sex couples and would otherwise not even show up in game. So if this does go into the game... ATLEAST have it wait until more sophisticated relationships become involved.

"Crime and Punishment"
-I think Crime and Punishment is perfect and shows an aspect of Dwarven Culture
--On another note.. for the time period this game is set in... Crime is WAY too leniant... I mean, it wasn't too long ago that in Britian would dunk women underwater if they were just naggy.
---Think of it this way... In a time of Torchure and where 50% of crimes resulted in maiming or the death sentence... Dwarf Fortress just uses House Arrest and Beatings (that may or may not result in death).

"Low Quality Goods"
-I'll Skip

"Uses For Poison"
-Goes without saying that poison needs a use... Though Poison Darts won't be useful until Crossbow bolts are made less "Lets destroy the WORLD!!!"

"Stone Beds"
-Stone already makes most things in the game... I like wood being used. Right now Wood seems to only have the use of being the fastest craft.
--If Stone Beds EVER make it into the game (beyond artifacts) I think it should require more then stone. Such as Cloth, Leather, and Wool
---I mean in most Dwarven Lore... Dwarves do have wood... In fact they usually use it to make the mine support systems.
----Lastly... Most mountains SHOULD have wood, but due to the way the game handles mountains... they don't.

"Tree Growing"
-Yeah Tree Growing would be nice. Though more for fruit trees then for wood.

"Sandbox Mode"
-I think Toady has that somewhere... ohh well Ill skip this

"Forced Sparring"
-Dwarves Off Duty Spar as much as possible in their freetime and only are stopped by glitches and a party or two (Also the more dwarves you have the more they will spar)
--So in effect what your REALLY doing is turning them into robots and saying "No parties"

[ May 27, 2008: Message edited by: Neonivek ]

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 07:09:00 pm »

I think homosexuality would be an easy enough personality trait to implement; 'prefers the company of men', etc.   Adding it in wouldn't make the game too complex at all.   I say go for it.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 07:11:00 pm »

Well, with current relationship system it'd be more complicated for it to have any real meaning.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 07:11:00 pm »

I never said it would make the game too complex

I said the game isn't complex enough to handle it well to the point where it is worth having.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 07:23:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Neonivek:
<STRONG>I said the game isn't complex enough to handle it well to the point where it is worth having.</STRONG>

The same could be said for all currently 'implemented' personality traits.  Have at ye!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 07:31:00 pm »

On a side note: I don't think it should be hinted upon as "Prefers the company of men". If it must appear it should just say it "He is gay".

Because frankly... You can prefer the company of men without being homosexual and it adds to this whole "Men can't be buddies with men" Homophobia that is going on that I personally Loathe.

I have no problem with "Prefers the company of men/Women" for both Men and Women, so a woman can prefer the company of men and a man can prefer the company of women, if it doesn't become inuendo. It could be interesting towards the relationship dynamics of the Fort.

Edit Addition: I may come off too strong and controvercial, tell me if I should edit this post.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 08:07:00 pm »

It seems that you're afraid of controversy to the point of making a big deal out of a small issue.   No big deal though.

But yeah, 'he is gay' would be better.   I was just trying to fit in with the "prefers opal" type of lines.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 08:08:00 pm »

How about "He likes it up the ass" If you want to put it in likes/dislikes?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 08:14:00 pm »

quote:
It seems that you're afraid of controversy  

I guess I am. Though this is a touchy subject for me.

Maybe I should just back out of this topic.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 10:30:00 pm »

One bonus: Children can't get snatched if they don't exist.

For crimes:
Make it a decimal place init option, where 0.5 halves the punishment, and 2.0 would double it. Even an insane setting like 100 should be possible (so everything is punishable by death) and a setting of 0 would disable the criminal system all together. (failed mandates just make the noble unhappy)
As for setting specific crimes yourself, eh... Maybe that could be the philosophers' job? To think up ways of how society should function, and attempt to get the nobles to go along with it?

Quality levels:
This already exists as "damage" but i don't really like the idea of wasting my only peice of tower cap wood to a "XX Tower Cap Bed XX" It should be a number value in the init folder, where the whole number is the damage level and the decimal place is the percent chance of that damage being put onto the finished item. 0.00 would be "No damage, 100% of the time" while 3.01 would be "XX damage 1% of the time"

Poison:
Once pests, disease, and farming troubles get put in, i'm sure Gnome Blight (fungicide) Golden Salve (antibacterial) and the various poisons (insecticides) and misc liquids will have some use.

Stone beds:
While possible to make a stone bed (smooth stone gravel in a thin stone box) i'm not quite sure why toady doesn't officially allow it. IIRC it was to make sure that trading with the outside was a good idea, and to stop the player from simply re-walling himself into his hole in the ground.

Tree growing:
I agree, and the same issue applies for all the special "no seed" plants, like valley herbs and bloated tubers. It would be interesting if we could "transplant" them into farm plots and cultivate them that way via cellular automata within the farm bounds. Hmm, i think that idea deserves a new thread.

Sandbox:
AKA Wizard mode. Yes please.

Sparring:
Get more soldiers and put them in 1-dwarve squads. there will be training all the time.

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 05:07:00 am »

sandbox mode would be useful for all those story writers ( sudden appearance of demon or pack of dragons?). Tree growing and stone beds could unbalance the game. Force sparing would be logical if you have captain of the guards and it would be his work to oversee sparring. As for punishment I believe that it needs to be modified but removing nobles' punishment system would remove the challenge ( than player would just ignore their demands).

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 07:02:00 am »

I like the Stone Beds idea, and always have. I think one way to make it balanced is to force the stone version to have multiple components, such as cloth, maybe furs, etc., to simulate blankets and cushioning. This would mean the cheap early method would still force people to use trees, but once they have a decent fort up and running, they could begin making nice quality stone beds, assuming they have the materials.
Pages: [1] 2