Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [PROJECT] Monster Injection  (Read 4309 times)

vooood

• Bay Watcher
  • Prophet
    • View Profile
    • Amalis of Daloth (TBA)
[PROJECT] Monster Injection
« on: March 16, 2010, 08:52:54 am »

Hello!

The release is getting closer and I have an idea for a project. Would anyone be interested for working on an (open source) project that will add all/many/most Dungeons&Dragons (and/or any other system) monster RAWs to DF 2010?

I know this is a lot of work and I know some things are not/will not be possible but there is a lot of room for improvisation, testing, and especially fun.

If there is anyone else interested in this we might start by setting up a project on sourceforge.net for example (because of SVN/versioning, hosting, availability, etc) and start planning on this? I know the RAWs are not available yet but we could start from what is available and what we know from Toady - there is a lot of theoretical stuff we should solve before starting the actual RAWs.

So, anyone interested?
Music was my first love, and it will be my last.
Music of the future, and music of the past.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [PROJECT] Monster Injection
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 06:13:27 pm »

You'd be MUCH better off in the Modder section of these forums. Also, it is too early to discuss this as most of us (I know some out there seem to know more) don't know how much more work it will be to mod in stuff in DF 2010.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 07:16:16 pm »

The Balor ______ has appeared!

ohcarpohcarpohcarpohcarp
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 09:04:45 pm »

Yeah, you'll probably have lots more luck after 2010
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 09:30:25 pm »

I've been able to get four creatures done, I estimate they're about 90% accurate. It was actually a lot less work than I thought it would be; most of the templates fit most creatures quite well, and adding in new materials and body plans is rather simple.

However, there's a lot of things I haven't been able to gleam from a handful of raw previews and no room for scientific experimentation. Additionally, I have no familiarity with the D&D monsters you request, so I probably wouldn't be much help anyway. Once DF2010 comes round, I'll probably be involved in updating the modding section of the wiki, which will indirectly aid your project.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Intelligent Shade of Blue

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity Loss: 0/1d4 points
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 09:52:41 pm »

Many D&D monsters are largely defined by their special abilities, making them difficult to add to DF without losing that flavor. Abilities such as the rust monster's rusting touch, mind flayer psionic abilities, and the beholder's various eye beams will be (AFAIK) hard if not impossible to emulate in DF as it stands now (and perhaps even once the update is released). But being a big D&D buff, this project is relevant to my interests. I'd definitely be interested in helping. (though I agree this should probably be in the Modding section)
[COLOR:PRUSSIAN_BLUE]
[NAME:ISoB]
[RGB:0:49:83]

Halconnen

• Bay Watcher
  • Danmaku Fortress
    • View Profile
    • Certaincake
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 02:53:01 am »

The topic title made me imagine weird things at first.

I ended up assuming you want to do an injected substance attack that injects monsters into the target.

Resulting in chestburster-like stuff or something.

While that won't be possible in DF2010, thinking about it for a few moments was awesome. D:

vooood

• Bay Watcher
  • Prophet
    • View Profile
    • Amalis of Daloth (TBA)
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 03:02:22 am »

The topic title made me imagine weird things at first.

I ended up assuming you want to do an injected substance attack that injects monsters into the target.

Resulting in chestburster-like stuff or something.

While that won't be possible in DF2010, thinking about it for a few moments was awesome. D:

I was actually talking about creating new monsters and "injecting" them into DF2010

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 02:31:52 pm »

I wonder if it would be possible to -eventually- con toady into creating some sort of 'reproduction via injection' thing. I suspect it'd have to wait awhile though, he has enough on his plate for now.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 04:38:50 pm »

Make a topic in the modding discussion, and i'll help!  Gonna take awhile to figureout all the new poisons and stuff, though I think you could reproduce a number of special abilities via th new injected/breathable toxins now! 
Nom nom nom

vooood

• Bay Watcher
  • Prophet
    • View Profile
    • Amalis of Daloth (TBA)
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 03:02:34 am »

Make a topic in the modding discussion, and i'll help!  Gonna take awhile to figureout all the new poisons and stuff, though I think you could reproduce a number of special abilities via th new injected/breathable toxins now! 

Moved! :)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 10:14:57 am »

yay!  So what are you thinking?  Just DnD, or other fantasy games/books aswell, like could we have creatures from call of Cthulhu, DnD, Warcraft, ect.  all in one game?
Nom nom nom

Ultimarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010, 12:48:05 am »

I can help! I have access to the monster manual 1 & maybe III. Sounds like a great project.
I discovered something new about aquifers!  On the down side, there's now a cave fish swimming around in the bedrooms.

MagicGuigz

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2010, 12:59:18 am »

Many D&D monsters are largely defined by their special abilities, making them difficult to add to DF without losing that flavor. Abilities such as the rust monster's rusting touch, mind flayer psionic abilities, and the beholder's various eye beams will be (AFAIK) hard if not impossible to emulate in DF as it stands now (and perhaps even once the update is released).

After DF 2010?

Rust monster: Rots tissue made of metals.  Toady actually talked about this, it was related to acid but I would bet it's the same thing.

Mind Flayer: A lot harder already.  I think we'll have to wait for Magic, but I'm no pro modder.

Beholder:  I wouldn't count it out.  Multiple eyes would be easy although long (each eye needs to be defined individually), but until Magic only some of its powers would be possible to emulate.  Still, it would sure be realistic enough for me.

Intelligent Shade of Blue

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity Loss: 0/1d4 points
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2010, 01:18:10 am »

After DF 2010?

Rust monster: Rots tissue made of metals.  Toady actually talked about this, it was related to acid but I would bet it's the same thing.

Mind Flayer: A lot harder already.  I think we'll have to wait for Magic, but I'm no pro modder.

Beholder:  I wouldn't count it out.  Multiple eyes would be easy although long (each eye needs to be defined individually), but until Magic only some of its powers would be possible to emulate.  Still, it would sure be realistic enough for me.

But does the armor a creature wears count as "metal tissue?" To me, it seems like it does not, but alas my knowledge of the coming update is not 100%.

As for the beholder, I agree that many of its rays should be possible with the update, especially the fire and disintegration rays. The anti-magic cone of it's main eye would be useless anyway without other magical creatures around :)

But yeah, it's most likely possible even now to define the crazy body shapes of D&D monsters. It's just that a lot of them will lose a lot of their flavor without being able to use their signature abilities IMHO... Here's hoping that we'll eventually be able to add all of the great D&D creatures to DF, and our dwarven adventurers can get ambushed by packs of displacer beasts.

yay!  So what are you thinking?  Just DnD, or other fantasy games/books aswell, like could we have creatures from call of Cthulhu, DnD, Warcraft, ect.  all in one game?

My knowledge of PnPs (as well as my RPG library) mostly includes D&D, CoC, WFRP, and Shadowrun, so I can help with creatures from those settings (though I'm not sure how relevant Shadowrun will be!)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 01:23:48 am by Intelligent Shade of Blue »
[COLOR:PRUSSIAN_BLUE]
[NAME:ISoB]
[RGB:0:49:83]
Pages: [1] 2