Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So, what am I doing wrong?  (Read 1127 times)

PoptartsNinja

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
So, what am I doing wrong?
« on: March 16, 2010, 08:11:17 am »

I'm currently working on a mod (for my own amusement, mostly). I've done a few mods already and never had too much trouble, however this time every time I try to create a new world I wind up with a crash. The error log is singularly unhelpful, only posting:

"Unrecognized Item Definition (Weapon) Token: ITEM_WEAPON_BAN_HAMMER - WEAPON"

Now, I've done weapon mods before (and creature mods, and entity mods, etc), and I can't understand what's causing this to fail. I've even tried moving the banhammer's entry into the standard weapon folder to no effect.

For reference, the banhammer's entry:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Which is being called by:

For additional reference (in case I've done something in the creature itself that's causing the entity entry to break), the creature type is:

I've also pulled anything else that might be a factor (my custom dinosaurs and megabeasts, mostly). I just can't understand what's causing this to fail so badly and so consistantly. Every time, same error, and nothing obvious that would be causing it.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So, what am I doing wrong?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 08:32:32 am »

This is going to sound stupid, but have you tried renaming it to see if the name is the problem?

Have you tried emptying the ...\data\objects folder (not the ...\raw\objects folder)?

It sounds kind of like the entity file is calling it but can't find the weapon definition. MAybe the file headers are messed up.

PoptartsNinja

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 08:57:43 am »

Yeah, I've renamed it (BANHAMMER, BHAMMER, B_HAMMER, BH, B1, B2, MAUL, etc...). I also tried replacing it with the tag from the Maul (and replacing the entry in entity--it still breaks (but loses either the maul, or one of the other custom weapons that's working (usually the bardiche, my axe variant)).

It shouldn't be a header issue either. They used to be in their own file, but I've since moved them into the base item_weapon file; and I delete the entries in the data/objects folder every time I try playing.

I just can't figure out why this is breaking. >_>
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 09:00:10 am by PoptartsNinja »

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 09:33:07 am »

Try deleting that line in the entity file and re-entering it, it may be that you have a hidden character or spelling mistake there.

PoptartsNinja

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 10:08:13 am »

Hm, that may have done it. I'll have to test to be certain (I also pulled every weapon except the ones that were causing me trouble--so now it's time to add them back one at a time to see if one of them was actually causing the problem as well).

Thanks for the help, guys!

PoptartsNinja

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 06:22:53 pm »

Well, (I think) I found what caused the crash--but that error with the banhammer keeps popping up. I really can't see why it keeps happening.

PoptartsNinja

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 09:41:52 am »

Ok, so I'm still getting the issue with the banhammer--I had to turn on [wood_pref] to get any non-crossbow weapons to show up on embark.

However, some weapons aren't showing up at all (ok, the nailbat didn't). I'm posting the current weapon list to see if anyone can spot what might be causing that--I can't see any reason for the Banhammer to be giving me error messages, or any reason for the nailbat not to be showing up (... do maces show up on embark? >_> )

Could the [CAN_STONE] on the gore-damage dealing nailbat be causing the issue? I've never had problems with stone spears so I know stone weapons support slashing and piercing damage...

Oh wait, I think I spotted the problem. I've got a weird artifact [WEAPON:KATANA] tag right below the banhammer. >_<
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 09:45:34 am by PoptartsNinja »

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 10:19:04 am »

This may sound silly, but you should make sure you have the title of the file entered correctly above your weapon definitions (ie. item_weapons_SA), and also check that you remembered to use [OBJECT:ITEM] or whatever the very first tag is meant to be.
Also known as Zuhayr.

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 10:33:24 am »

What's the deal with this line:

[TWO_HANDED:4]
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 10:49:49 am »

What's the deal with this line:

[TWO_HANDED:4]

That token indicates the size a creature must be to use the weapon two-handed, or something similar, if I remember correctly.  I also seem to recall that it's broken at the moment.
Also known as Zuhayr.

PoptartsNinja

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 11:01:45 am »

I started out by copying the war hammer, so that's either an artifact or for some reason I thought [TWO_HANDED:0] might be the cause of the problem (nope, it was the Katana, go figure >_> )

And yeah, [ITEM_WEAPON_NAILBAT] and [ITEM_NAILBAT] was the culprit. That also got me thinking and helped me fix a bug that was stopping my Spinosauruses and Tyrannosauruses from spawning.

So hooray, all problems resolved! XD

... of course, that had an unexpected downside..
53964 spinosauri
37030 tyrannosaurus rexes ( [AMBUSHPREDATOR] :3 )
117170 allosauri
223417 deinonychus
656 mandrills

... but hey, at least they're keeping the mandrill population in check. >_>