Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Question about (spoilered)  (Read 1653 times)

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
Question about (spoilered)
« on: March 16, 2010, 08:09:09 am »

I have a question about SOF. Has anyone tried if they destroy floor grates if they act as ceiling?
Something like this:
Code: [Select]
|#|<-grate Z+1
|S|<-SOF   Z
|_|        Z-1

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
Re: Question about (spoilered)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 08:50:56 am »

Have never tried it, but I'm almost certain they won't.
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

EliDupree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Eli Dupree's Web Page
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 09:33:58 am »

If building destroyers don't destroy buildings from below, it would be stupidly easy to make lockable entrances... even just a (heat-proof in this case) lockable hatch over a ramp would work.

Someone should do some experiments when they open up the pit o' fun on their map. (They'll go after restrained tame animals, right? That'd save some risk in luring them through an obstacle course.)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 09:37:11 am by EliDupree »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 10:41:04 am »

I hear flying building destroyers can't destroy buildings at any rate if they don't have solid ground under them.  As it looks like the SOF has to be flying to get there I don't think it would be able to.

PS. Of course considering it's a SOF it could destroy it just by virtue of being near it I suppose.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 10:47:03 am »

Project Sauna has some promise i see :D

EliDupree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Eli Dupree's Web Page
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 10:54:06 am »

Then build a 3x3 floor on top of it - out of Tin Bars. Clear away the surrounding stone, and trap the SoF in the area by using cave-ins. Trick a cat into moving onto a hatch in a room several z-levels above the whole setup, then open the hatch.

;D

On a more serious note, this might be an easier way to auto-burn goblin trash than by using magma - ONCE YOU GOT IT SET UP, anyway.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 10:56:27 am by EliDupree »

Nether

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 01:17:07 pm »

Suddenly wondering, would collapsing their entire ceiling damage the SOF's?

Would be quite cool, tearing down a fort to stop the SOF's.

EliDupree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Eli Dupree's Web Page
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 01:24:51 pm »

I believe that cave-ins are unconditional complete destruction. You wouldn't even need to drop your whole fort - just one tile. I'm imagining something like this (side view, # = natural wall)

#####
# I ###
# #   (Your fort down this tunnel)
#   ###
## ##
## ##
## ##
## ##
## ##
## ##
## ##
## ##
## ##
## ##
## ##
(The pit down this tunnel)

Lure a bunch of them up into the tunnel, and make sure you have a fast and reliable way to break the support. Heck, you might even be able to just build the support out of wood, and have them collapse it on themselves. (Hint: USE A SAFETY MECHANISM if you're going to experiment with that.)

Nether

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 01:28:52 pm »

I believe that cave-ins are unconditional complete destruction. You wouldn't even need to drop your whole fort - just one tile. I'm imagining something like this (side view, # = natural wall)

#####
# I ###
# #   (Your fort down this tunnel)
#   ###
## ##
## ##
## ##
## ##
## ##
## ##
## ##
## ##
## ##
## ##
## ##
(The pit down this tunnel)

Lure a bunch of them up into the tunnel, and make sure you have a fast and reliable way to break the support. Heck, you might even be able to just build the support out of wood, and have them collapse it on themselves. (Hint: USE A SAFETY MECHANISM if you're going to experiment with that.)
Hmm, that would be quite cool. XD

EliDupree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Eli Dupree's Web Page
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 01:38:46 pm »

Does anyone know if it's possible to capture them by knocking them out with cave-ins and having them land on cage traps? And, if you can, whether caged SoFs would still radiate heat? (If they do, that'd be a way to test the melting-adamantine thing asked here - just leave one in an adamantine cage for ages. On the flip side, it would make it impossible for your dwarves to cart them around for your own purposes.)

I should really get started on this game, I want to test some of this 8) ... I'm imagining building a giant obstacle course for them... with vertical passages so I can separate the flying ones from the others...

Nether

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 01:57:29 pm »

Does anyone know if it's possible to capture them by knocking them out with cave-ins and having them land on cage traps? And, if you can, whether caged SoFs would still radiate heat? (If they do, that'd be a way to test the melting-adamantine thing asked here - just leave one in an adamantine cage for ages. On the flip side, it would make it impossible for your dwarves to cart them around for your own purposes.)

I should really get started on this game, I want to test some of this 8) ... I'm imagining building a giant obstacle course for them... with vertical passages so I can separate the flying ones from the others...
With metal cages why not? Also, they should still radiate heat, though I never tested anything like it.

On a side note, do imps still fire at dwarves from a cage?

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 02:01:44 pm »

AFAK they can be captured with metal cages, and no they don't radiate heat in cages and no imps don't fire from cages. Cages are like suspended animation (except for jailed dwarfs)

Nether

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 02:04:59 pm »

AFAK they can be captured with metal cages, and no they don't radiate heat in cages and no imps don't fire from cages. Cages are like suspended animation (except for jailed dwarfs)
T_T

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 02:37:34 pm »

SOF have [NOSTUN].  They can't be knocked out by cave-ins.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 03:20:21 pm »

can't you just get dwarfs a body temp of 25k and have them wear adamantine cloth?

wouldn't be the same thing but theoretically should give the same result.
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.
Pages: [1] 2