Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Possible to make a fire proof wood?  (Read 944 times)

Nomalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Possible to make a fire proof wood?
« on: March 16, 2010, 04:45:21 am »

Hey folks, just have a small question and figured this would be the best place to ask. Is it possible to mod in wood that is completely fire/magma proof? Attempting to make an above ground fortress cast from obsidian and carved out, and after playing around a bit I got the idea of a fortress that its milling/pumping needs would be done from lava flows. While I'm not sure if even with pumps working the magma to move, it would even produce enough flow to power a waterwheel. It would still look awesome. I'm not inexperienced when it comes to smelter based reactions, so if that was the only avenue. I'm sure I could do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Possible to make a fire proof wood?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 07:48:18 am »

I don't have a link, but I'm fairly certain this has been tried, the result being that waterwheels are hard-coded to work only over water, not magma.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Nomalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Possible to make a fire proof wood?
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 11:09:26 am »

I figured they wouldn't work over magma, but they would only be built mostly for the look. The mill/pumps would either be powered by river that has been diverted underground and draining through a fortification carved in the side of the map, or a dwarven reactor.