Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Scrap wooden blocks  (Read 1381 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Scrap wooden blocks
« on: November 25, 2007, 01:19:00 pm »

Since wooden blocks were made like a workaround for the screwpump, in the absense of stone at startup, maybe they can be removed now? They now just take up a hotkey slot for the carpenter's ('o' that could be used for corkscrews).

On the same topic, what exactly, in your design, are blocks for in a screwpump? Can't normal stones or logs be used for that?

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Scrap wooden blocks
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 02:10:00 pm »

Since you can make metal blocks, why shouldn't you be able to make wooden blocks? Plus people who make above-ground dwellings might want them for higher quality constructed walls and floors.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 02:18:00 pm »

I disagree with the removal of wooden blocks. When building aboveground wooden structures they allow for the construction of more valuable and hence higher quality rooms, as well as smooth bridges and roads. They are also far easier to store compactly.

Changing the hotkey wouldn't be such a problem although I hope that at some point hotkeys for any workshop item will be settable in the init/interface.txt.

In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 07:52:00 pm »

No! I deny this suggestion.  Mostly because it was I who suggested wood blocks.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 12:11:00 am »

You can change the hotkeys around in the interface.txt file.  Yeah I know its annoying to do it each time a new version comes out  :)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 04:24:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by axus:
<STRONG>You can change the hotkeys around in the interface.txt file.  Yeah I know its annoying to do it each time a new version comes out   :)</STRONG>

Just do it once and use a diff tool to copy your changes across  :)

Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 07:41:00 am »

Heh, alright. Keep blocks in, although I'm having trouble visualising a wall made out of wood blocks. Wooden panels, planks, beams, anything, but not blocks. Wouldn't making a wall out of any blocks require masonry?

And the question about the screwpump still stands. Why blocks for it? A pipe and a screw are needed, but where do the blocks go, specifically? If it's supporting the thing, then stones and logs are just as good, methinks.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

coelocanth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 12:47:00 pm »

I'm guessing the blocks are to seal up the impassable tile to make it water tight.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 01:44:00 pm »

nvm

[ November 26, 2007: Message edited by: Align ]

My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 02:40:00 pm »

And wooden logs and normal stones frequently used for this same purpose (albeit without the pump) won't work for this because..?

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2007, 04:04:00 pm »

Too rough edges?

Klokjammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2007, 05:39:00 pm »

Yeah.  At least with blocks, you can stack them easily.  With rough stones and logs, you're going to need a lot more pitch, tar, or mortar to cover up the gaps.  Oddly enough, stone blocks don't need mortar and wood doesn't need pitch at the moment, should Toady rectify this?
Code: [Select]
g  <-  This is a goat
g  <-  This is a goblin mason
g  <-  This is a gremlin covered in white paint

Does everyone understand the difference now?

Stof

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2007, 06:41:00 pm »

Why not consider that wooden blocks are in fact a stack of oddly named wooden planks? After all, a plank can perfectly be considered as an oddly shaped block indeed  :)

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2007, 07:20:00 pm »

I vote for the 'blocks = planks' as well.

Wahnsinniger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2007, 07:35:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by coelocanth:
<STRONG>I'm guessing the blocks are to seal up the impassable tile to make it water tight.</STRONG>

Now wouldn't THAT be a use! Only Walls/Floors made from BLOCKS would be watertight, while logs or rough stone would leak. It'd make blocks more useful at least.

Pages: [1] 2