Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ninja siege? (Not elves, nor a mod.)  (Read 1247 times)

Dwarven WMD

• Bay Watcher
  • Amateur Aspiring Coder
    • View Profile
Ninja siege? (Not elves, nor a mod.)
« on: March 16, 2010, 01:02:24 am »

Alright, I was on my newest world on Dwarf Fortress. I'd already gotten thirty immigrants, and I planned on being above ground. Well, around the entire area I planned on building my fortress, I had a wall, with a highly decorated gate that had four sword toting guards at it. However, a nearby civilization was at war with me. Now, it originally said humans had entered. But I saw no humans. Just in case, I added four more guards to my gate, and I had them patrol.
Apparently, this human was a ninja, because next thing I know I see "A dwarf has been struck down." x2 on my logs. I paused the game and looked around, and saw no one. Looked at the page that had all the creatures on it, it showed a diplomat. Then, when I unpaused, ANOTHER guard dies. So I send the rest of my armed forces towards the gate, and midway along the road to the palace (Yes I built a palace.), a guard from the group I sent dies. Suddenly my men are chasing down the road to the palace before the finally manage to kill a human right before he opened the door to the palace.

Now, what the hell just happened? The only human on the creatures page is the diplomat, and he arrived moments before. The so called ninja's name doesn't come up on there anywhere, either. Not sure if it's a bug.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 01:42:32 am by Dwarven WMD »
The Russian throws Steiner into a chair, screaming "I do not care about genetic research!"
The Russian pulls out a M1911!
The Russian screams "I am Viktor Reznov! And I, will, have, my, REVENGE!"
The Russian shoots Steiner between the eyes.
The Russian loses juice.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
Re: Ninja siege? (Not elves, nor a mod.)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 01:46:53 am »

Does your fort have any criminals listed on the Justice screen?  Do you have anyone in the Fortress Guard?  Someone noticed a while ago that if you have a Fortress Guard member but no Sheriff or cages/restraints set to be used for justice, that Fortress Guard will go around killing anyone who's committed crimes.
Sanity is for the weak.

Dwarven WMD

• Bay Watcher
  • Amateur Aspiring Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 01:53:46 am »

Does your fort have any criminals listed on the Justice screen?  Do you have anyone in the Fortress Guard?  Someone noticed a while ago that if you have a Fortress Guard member but no Sheriff or cages/restraints set to be used for justice, that Fortress Guard will go around killing anyone who's committed crimes.

No criminals, and there is a Fortress Guard.
The Russian throws Steiner into a chair, screaming "I do not care about genetic research!"
The Russian pulls out a M1911!
The Russian screams "I am Viktor Reznov! And I, will, have, my, REVENGE!"
The Russian shoots Steiner between the eyes.
The Russian loses juice.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 02:29:19 am »

Maybe you forgot to put soldiers on duty, and they sparred each other to death?

Also, did you check the kill screens of your dwarves? If a dwarf is guilty of those murders, the game will list it.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 04:13:48 am »

check for insanity as well. If a guy tantrums enough, he can just simply go berserk and start killing.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 06:00:12 am »

The easiest way to find out what happened when your dwarfs die is to look in the z-stocks screen at the corpses list, from there you can zoom to the body (zooming doesn't work on the unit list screen for dead people.. sigh).  There's probably a human corpse in there too, although you won't really find out much more than his profession.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.