Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14

Author Topic: Brutal: Wrath of the Wilds - Braaarghh  (Read 12879 times)

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
Re: Brutal: Wrath of the Wilds - Game Today!
« Reply #135 on: April 09, 2010, 02:57:55 am »

I can host, in GMT+1, but I guess if someone from india or so can host we'll have all time periods covered.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 09, 2010, 03:02:03 am »

Can... Can... I's play???

Race: Shadow
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

20 react – 18 Land Speed – 0 Fly Speed – 0 dig
14 hp – 0 armor – 0 regen – 5 size – 5 sense

LvL// 5

Cost to Level\\
500+100+100+200+100+250+250 = 1500

LvL Bonus// +3ap

Traits//

Abilities//

((I was bored and was creative due to it, Might give me more of a chance to join if you are wavering on the decision I think...))

Spoiler: An old hunt... (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 10:15:04 am by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 09, 2010, 06:24:44 am »

Looks interesting, if its ok i'd like to join

Barghest – Night Vision
Large black dogs who are frequently found lurking in the moors, it is that the first time a person
sees a Barghest they will also see a vision of their own demise. Their death usually follows
quickly, regardless, as the Barghest are known to hunt those who have seen them until the ends
of the earth. They spread panic and despair wherever they travel.

13 react - 18 Land Speed - 0 Fly Speed - 0 dig
16 hp - 0 armor - 2 regen - 6 size - 13 sense

TRAITS

I also choose 3AP
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 11:52:06 am by nuker w »

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So are we making more old characters? when your in the middle of remaking the system?

I think both for new characters and new sub-Gm's you might want to wait until you have the mechanics fully worked out. Just a suggestion.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Eh, the mechanic system was built to roll into the current version, which is why we've been using it - but the actual full revision is at least a month or two out. Believe it or not, writing up rules and details and balancing and stuff is a good deal of work, and most of the time I have to dedicate to this is spent hosting you guys.

The system as is, aside from the new combat mechanics is as written and complete (aside from the number of typos and things that are wrong, but meh)

So I don't think it will be THAT big a deal.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I personally, just think that instead of hosting games and playing with a half built system that will change every week, that more time should be spent working on getting that done.

I'd much rather wait on all the numbers working, than play a game that is broken or will completely switch halfway through. As we were playing the other day, and in the first session, half the things I asked got a response of 'oh that will be fixed in the new version'.

That's great and all, but frustrating. Just wanted to save some of that, and to be quite honest I'm not even sure I will continue to participate. It's very messy, and while fun at times, it's hard to know when things will work and won't.

Neyvn can take over my infernal undead shadow bit and then some. And hopefully in a month or two you'll have things worked out and I can make up a new character.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorry, but the game is essentially "done" at this point (aside from being terribly edited).

The new version is just that - a new version. Technically, a completely different game, just with a very similiar core concept and some mechanical similarities.

Can you remind me what things you asked that I said "Would get fixed" in the new version?

I am sorry for springing the new combat roll system on you, but its tested well with my testing groups, and I thought it was a minor improvement I could make to the current system - If you preferred the old one, I've got nothing against switching back. This is the only change from the new version I had any intent to incorporate.

A lot of it may be my hosting style, and the fact that this is... well, not the optimal medium or the medium the game was designed for. It was designed to be played with a physical map and distances and actual people in the room. I've never run it online before. The chat room itself is a lot more hectic, and its harder for me to keep track of things than in real life.

As to the first comment - I'm one person, with limited opportunities to host. No matter how perfect I think a system is, it will be broken. It will be flawed. The realities of a game like this is no matter how done you think you are, every session is a playtest - there are things to be tweaked and modified and shuffled and fudged because I'm working alone and that means that unforseen occurences are the norm. The new version is being designed to address many of the complaints about the current version - but its only through hosting people and playing the game that those complaints were identified.

I am sorry you haven't been enjoying yourself as much as I would hope - I have enjoyed having you as a player, and when you come back I'm sure I'll enjoy hosting you again. (I'm also sorry you got stuck in the demon trap - I wrote that into the mission over a year ago and this is the first time I've seen it catch someone).

A part of it may be my hosting style as well - even in established games I tend to play hard and loose with the rules to keep the game moving. This game is very different from the types I'm naturally inclined to host (scene based stuff, minimal rolling stuff, two or three player stuff), and is very different from all my other homebrews.

So, uh... yeah. I just hope you understand a little bit more where I and the game are coming from. If you're not enjoying yourself, by all means take a break and try the next version, though.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I understand man, if I could handle all the work you do, and think I'd not go crazy, I'd have my own system. But I'm horrible with all that.

Things I'd like to see more fleshed out:
-skill ranges, how far away can I snap at someone, or do a spook attack with chill, etc etc.
-hp/ap gains, changes, and uses in skills.
-New listing of skills and what they actually do/cost/etc.

I'd also like to see monsters getting stronger as they level up, with the new combat system, the only thing that really increases to hit is lackys. Having more chances to attack. and one assumes that at higher levels your going to fight higher level things with more defenses, and thus even higher chance for your stuff to fail. I'm not even sure how the first system worked, but I don't remember that seeming as unfair as this new one did. It just didn't sit well with me.

I guess in the long run, the fudging part gets to me. The way we just threw AP out the window in the first game, and how the skills said one thing(spook costing 10 ap for example) and you saying another.

The demon trap was the least of my issues, it was annoying, but at least I can well understand it from a GM's point of view. Instant death traps and the like, at least the character was released after... maybe... in fact I'll probably just say he wasn't and make up something new to play with again later. The shadow was draining my patience at the start of that 2nd session, when I made it, I really wanted illusions to deal with my fear attacks, but with a lack of translator, and much of anything else, it became rather foggy on what I could, and could not do.

And in looking at making a new character from the old templates and types and such, most of the characters seem very 1 dimensional to me. I thought about doing a dragon, but it seemed lacking in many things until much higher levels.

I don't know, maybe I'm just reading too much into all this from my limited experience, everyone else seemed to have fun, sans maybe Armok. I could just be nit picking things.

I guess the bottom line might be, I'd love to try and run a game, but the lack of structure would drive me up a wall, and I'd have no idea how to answer someone who asks me any of the many questions I might ask in game.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just a little of my input
-skill ranges, how far away can I snap at someone, or do a spook attack with chill, etc etc.
Some of that stuff is going to be better when we start using the a battle map.
I guess in the long run, the fudging part gets to me. The way we just threw AP out the window in the first game, and how the skills said one thing(spook costing 10 ap for example) and you saying another.
I know that of some of the fudging going on (And I hate that as well) but what is this about AP fudging? I was under the impression that the abilities thing was because he typed them up late at night or something and they had typos?
I don't know, maybe I'm just reading too much into all this from my limited experience, everyone else seemed to have fun, sans maybe Armok. I could just be nit picking things.
I agree with almost everything you are say, I personally think the mechanics are very suckey (Not the theory's behind them but the applied mechanics) and need a over haul. But I have managed to get great joy out of the flavor and role playing in the game, and the ideas that upgrades are soon to come.

Also out of all the people who are playing I will miss you most of all and I hope you can rejoin and find enjoyment in the new version.

Also on the subject of looking for new GMs I would love to run a game (If the players can put up with my spelling) but I am at -6 GMT so I cant run a off hours game  :-\

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What you were saying about needing a "table" as such.... well i may have a program....

http://www.byond.com/games/Shadowdarke.BYONDTabletopGaming?tab=index

You do need to download the byond server and stuff but I think this could help you alot, just try it

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A lot of the problems are with the fact that I have dozens of notebooks and stuff filled up with details on the system and rules and stuff, so it is a lot easier to handle it in person. The rulebooks took a lot of time to write, have gone through several revisions and stuff, and the best versions of all of them were lost when my last computer crashed. There are a lot of errors, and its a lot worse for the less commonly played characters - and you were the first to play a shadow, actually.

A lot of the range rules and stuff is better in person - when we start using maps, hopefully it will be better. There are actually rules governing all of that, but when you are in an amorphous text area a lot of that is hard to carry over.

and your other complaints are actually flaws with the system, the way it works. The original mechanics were actually written as part of a 48 hour challenge, with 5 base monsters, and everything else has just sort of been lumped on top of that since then. So there are a lot of inconsistancies and problems - its a lot like d+d first addition, actually - I look at some of the rules and I'm just like "why did I ever think this was a good idea!?"

So about half the things are things I'm hoping to address with the revision - the other half are problems in the medium and communication and my writing and editing ability rather than problems with the game, but I know it doesn't make them any less annoying or frustrating.

Eagle, Criptfiend

Would you either of you like to run the next thursday game, as a test run, and I could mentor? Eagle, you're the priority here since you can handle the off game.

Cript,
I think its important I actually get some time on the other side of my system while I'm working on the revision, so if you could take over the standard time slot once or twice that would be pretty awesome as well.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Eagle, Criptfiend
Would you either of you like to run the next thursday game, as a test run, and I could mentor? Eagle, you're the priority here since you can handle the off game.
Yes, if eagle says no.
Cript,
I think its important I actually get some time on the other side of my system while I'm working on the revision, so if you could take over the standard time slot once or twice that would be pretty awesome as well.
I wish to help in any way I can.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile

I'd like to try. But only if i get to type in bold! ;)
But we're not really under time pressure, so Cript can go first if he wishes.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile

I like it so far, my only problem is with the timezones.

I still cant get back in the Brutal AIM group, I think a new one shuld be made.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I actually think we should give GameTable a try for next week if anyone can figure out how to set up a session with it...
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14