Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bliss vs Tantrum  (Read 1578 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Bliss vs Tantrum
« on: May 27, 2008, 10:44:00 am »

I suggest to have an opposite to tantrum status for dwarven behaviour.

Imagine that the dwarf's happiness is beyond some very high value (like 500). This dwarf will have a high chance to throw a happy tantrum - fall in nirvana. In "nirvana" state dwarves hesistate to fight/work until the feeling passes and will talk to near dwarves, upping their happiness.
This will make a lot of fun situations like "nirvana spiral" instead of "tantrum spiral" and also I think that it will add some nice challenge, you'll need to have more ways to lower dwarven morale though (like public executions) and maybe you'll need to limit some of the most ecstatic ones in drinking alcohol or lock their bedrooms for them to sleep on the street.
Also before implementing this I suggest to lower the dining room effect.

[ May 28, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bliss vs Tantrum
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 10:53:00 am »

I like the idea of weed smoking nirvanadwarves.
Maybe they should also have a chance to get fun-addicted bums who spend all their time in the booze stockpile before being hauled off to prison where they stay until they're sober.

This would also encourage recruiting Fortress Guards; you dont want them to drain your supplies  :D

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 11:33:00 am »

You know, seeing a wave of nirvana spreading through my fort like the 60s, causing everything to halt to a standstill, would be utterly hilarious.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 11:42:00 am »

While the concept is amusing, the game would be quite painful if you had to carefully avoid making your dwarves too happy. Besides, we already have parties for the general concept - dwarves stop working, start talking to each other, and form friendships (with associated happy thoughts).
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 11:49:00 am »

If dwarves could only reach this super-happy state through some extraordinary event, then this could be okay (such as magical creatures artificially raising their happiness level).  I wouldn't want it to be possible to reach this level naturally.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 12:41:00 pm »

If this is added, I'm going to make an elf fortress and subject them to this spiral.

Then open the doors when the first siege comes. Oh god, that will be great.

But yes, I like this idea. It just needs to have the same chance of happening as tantrums. Something great. Like just-married dwarves or babies being born. It would be temporary, but it would be interesting to see a father dwarf cause a large party in the dining hall that causes a small flood of beer.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 01:12:00 pm »

"Nirvana", heh, yeah, nice symmetry to tauntrum. It couls have a lot of interesting effects: it could facilitate fey moods: it could allow a singular state of mind --a flow experience-- elevating the level of craftdwarfship; if could calm and sooth negative dwarves, and it could make religeous swarves ascend and leave the game (perhaps leaving something behing). Great idea!
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 01:27:00 pm »

Hehe, funny idea. Maybe we could even include magic mushrooms (psilocybin) that would help greatly to reach this Nirvana. And make those mushrooms grow randomly in caves, immediately being sought after by dwarves  ;).
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 01:30:00 pm »

Before you know it... they will form... DRUM CIRCLES...
(locks 64 dwarves into basement and gives them a guitar and some weed to keep them quiet)

OMG-they killed Urist. You Bastards!

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 03:46:00 pm »

quote:
nirvana

I hope everyone knows that Nirvana like Yin and Yan are so horrifically butched in Western society that no one knows what it originally was.

To my knowledge Nirvana isn't a state of pure bliss but rather a state of pure emotionlessness

Your also supposed to die immediately after Nirvana (and those who do not die are called something). The fact that people have died achieving this state says something about how dangerous hardcore meditation can be.

I could be wrong about Nirvana (which is also a band) but at least I know I am not about Yin and Yan.

Anyhow a "Too Happy" state? I say no, that would be beyond insane and would drive me TOTALLY nuts

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 05:03:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by SirPenguin:
<STRONG>You know, seeing a wave of nirvana spreading through my fort like the 60s, causing everything to halt to a standstill, would be utterly hilarious.</STRONG>

And drugged-out hippie dwarves sitting in circles and singing protest songs while your Fortress Guard are being slaughtered by the Goblins?

quote:

Where have all the Fortress Guard gone, long time passing?
Where have all the Fortress Guard gone, long long time ago?
Where have all the Fortress Guard gone? Gone to Burial Chambers everyone!
When will they ever learn?
When will they ever learn?

Not to mention
quote:

How many years can a mountain exist before it is mined to the core?
And how many ears must a Hammerdwarf have before he can hear children Tantrum?
Yes and how many times must the Ballista Arrows fly before they are finally banned?
The answer my friend is blowin' in the wind. The answer is blowin' in the wind...
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 05:37:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Snow:
<STRONG>I like the idea of weed smoking nirvanadwarves.</STRONG>

Or we could just implement weed   :D

quote:
To my knowledge Nirvana isn't a state of pure bliss but rather a state of pure emotionlessness

Your also supposed to die immediately after Nirvana (and those who do not die are called something). The fact that people have died achieving this state says something about how dangerous hardcore meditation can be.

I in fact archive being pure emotionless by always keeping my mind clear of any thoughts.

Its hard to keep in that state at all times, but it is possible without dieing.

You know how sometimes you "Get into the zone"

Well thats how i feel all the time by keeping my mind clear of thoughts and emotions. Just run on pure instincts/Intuition.

Works great when i can keep my mind clear.

[ May 27, 2008: Message edited by: The-Moon ]

There is absolutely no time, to be taking time for granted. ~Busta Rhymes

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 05:52:00 pm »

Ohh and I forgot... you are also supposed to have NO desires while in the state of Nirvana.

So having Nirvana Dwarves build things makes no sense... they wouldn't want to

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 06:01:00 pm »

Haha, don't get too literal now, willya. Replace the word "Nirvana" with "bliss" or "flow".
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 06:17:00 pm »

I don't think the player should be punished for making their dwarves as happy as possible, as this should be something a well-run fort strives for. In fact, I would suggest the opposite; that dwarves in a state of bliss gain a speed\productivity boost. It's both more realistic and better rewards players for running a good fort. Seriously, why would someone work slower because they're happier? normally happy workers work better than unhappy or content ones, not worse. Granted, Ecstatic is too easy to achieve at the moment, so the scale should definitely be tweaked before anything based on high happiness is put in.

I do rather like the ideas for various drugs put forth elsewhere in the thread; I kind of want to build turn of the century london with dwarven opium dens now.

Pages: [1] 2