Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Calling in sick on release day?  (Read 4897 times)

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Calling in sick on release day?
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2010, 12:02:13 am »

Tears menacing with spikes of happy

Ouch.
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2010, 07:16:20 am »

Human contact is overrated... I've got to get reacquainted with seven short, alcoholic fellows I used to know. :P

Sigged.  ;D

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Ailure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2010, 07:48:26 am »

Some guy where I work also likes Dwarf Fortress (he's surfing this very forums right now). I won't call in sick on release day (unless I'm actually is sick), but at least I know what he's doing if I happen to not see him on that release day... ;)

It probably would be best if today released it on a Friday. On the other hand, if released early on the week the people who wouldn't have time until the weekend would enjoy a release with less bugs.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 07:50:22 am by Ailure »

SquidgyB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2010, 08:13:51 am »

I've just been off for a week with Laryngitis and did nothing but (try to) build a huge fort, I doubt I'd get away with a pulling a sickie again too soon...

That said I'll be bloody tempted to book a short notice day or two of holiday when it comes out 8)

NFossil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2010, 08:17:57 am »

My bosses read this forums too so i dont think that i should do this.
So you can just play at work?  ::)

Paranatural

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2010, 08:27:13 am »

My problem isn't as much work as it is a new, very affectionate and jobless girlfriend. Don't get me wrong, it's nice, but there's little time for DF :(
The corpses appear to be primarily concentrated under the dead cat.  - Untelligent
Mental Health 6/6. You easily comfort yourself knowing that Paranatural's Hot Stubble And Deliciously Unwashed Armpits will be  waiting for you whatever happens.

Chicken Launcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Poultry Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2010, 08:53:05 am »

I would love a Friday release. Pretend to be sick, stay home, 3 days of DF. It might be dishonest but it's for a worthy cause.

Actually, Thursday afternoon would be perfect.
"Did you ever notice any time you see two groups of people who really hate each other, chances are good they’re wearing different kinds of hats? Keep an eye on that, it might be important." - George Carlin

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2010, 08:59:29 am »

Human contact is overrated... I've got to get reacquainted with seven short, alcoholic fellows I used to know. :P

Sigged.  ;D

D'awwww, it's my first sigging. I do believe I'm getting choked up here.

Also, I too had DF on a flash drive, and played it on the computers at the school library. Had to use an extremely terminal font, so it looked like I was programming to random passersby.

I mean, surely something that looked THAT bad must have been a school project, right?

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2010, 11:01:20 am »

I could easily get away with playing it at school, but would I let myself? If I am busy with some exploration of programming(currently a VB 6 compatible COM object written in C, worse as it requires at least two OLE interfaces to be implemented as well), then I may actually have to delay playing DF...
Eh?
Eh!

carebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2010, 11:45:46 am »

I hope Toady isn't calling in sick on whatever is supposed to be release day.  :-\

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2010, 02:24:46 pm »

Also, I too had DF on a flash drive, and played it on the computers at the school library. Had to use an extremely terminal font, so it looked like I was programming to random passersby.

I mean, surely something that looked THAT bad must have been a school project, right?
Ahahahah.   I've done that before.
Great fun to see people's reactions.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2010, 07:04:09 pm »

I will most certainly be pulling a sickie on the release day unless I've managed to get a job by then. College is relatively unimportant, but working for money is slightly more important than retaining the use of my legs right now, so I couldn't skip it.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2010, 12:11:05 pm »

I have a 2 week holiday starting in 2 weeks ad im crossing everything i have that it will be done by then...
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2010, 12:35:51 pm »

Ahahahah.   I've done that before.
Great fun to see people's reactions.

I used to do that back in the day with ZAngband, but stopped after I got some funny looks when I practically jumped out of my seat due to the unexpected appearance of a capital J. It wasn't even a particularly dangerous J, either. (For those not familiar with the game, a J represents a snake.)

Er, to stay on topic... If I had a job, I'd stick with it. Curse the delayed Mac release! (But not really. DF is a one-man production of incredible quality, so I'm willing to cut Toady significantly more slack than, say, Blizzard. Take all the time you need, Toady! But please not too long. ;D)
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2010, 12:46:05 pm »

I wish I could share beardless' patience, but this delayed Mac release is the same bullshit I have to deal with for every other game. It's a pretty simple deal to hoik it over to Mac.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4