Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Archery  (Read 476 times)

Decorator

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Archery
« on: May 27, 2008, 04:33:00 am »

This subject has been spoken many times, but i got an good idea. Im not 100% sure, if this has been suggested before, i didn't find anything with search. In this article by archers i mean also marksdwarfs.

So currently archers can shoot inside sphere, so now there is no difference when shooting up or down. So my idea is that when archer is shooting downwards, it should be able to shoot further than normally. Currently height difference between units only reduce range.

Height difference between
archer and his target.
(to archers benefit)--------range increase to archer
(--------------------------(to normal horisontal range)
2--------------------------------------(2)
1--------------------------------------(1)
0--------------------------------------(0)
-1------------------------------------(-1)
-2------------------------------------(-2)
This range increase should go upto (for example 10 squares or depend on archers skill), because it gets lot harder to hit when enemy is far away.

Also change benefits what gaining archery skill does. I mean great archers should have really good accuracy, reloading speed, shooting range and good possibility to inflict critical wounds. Now they are just machine guns. Great archers should fire faster than rookies, but not that much as they do now. For example 1 skill level gain should raise archers accuracy by 5-10%, reloading speed by 5-10%, shooting range by 0.5-1 square and possibility to inflict critical would by 5%. Also basic reloading speed should be lowered. With this update using archers would need lot of space to be effective. Because it's supid now, when enemy melee unit is closing down your legendary marksdwarf from 10 squares away, archer can shoot something like 10 arrows. With update your archer should only shoot few arrows from that distance, but you could start shooting earlier if you would have enough space between your enemy and your unit. So basically damage output would be lot lower, but range would be better.

Now towers would be good defensive stuctures and using archers effectively you would need good planning and skill.

Those are my suggestions, sorry for poor english (it isnt my native language).