Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Manga: Who reads this crap?  (Read 3468 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Manga: Who reads this crap?
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2010, 11:06:51 am »

I dunno if something is lost in the translation or their culture doesn't mesh right or what.

Translation and cultural interpretation is seriously everything when it comes to manga.  If you don't have a good grounding in the culture, it just isn't funny and/or it just doesn't make that much sense.

Again, I can't speak for manga, but Hayao Miyazaki's movies kick ass, so I can see his manga being rather good.

It's actually not so great, I'm sorry to say.  He doesn't exactly know how to work the medium.

As for suggestions... Saikano.  It's a bit on the "hurr hurr, manga" side, but it's also fantastically good, well-written, and so on.  Excellent story and art, and it was one of the first things I made sure I bought when I finally made it to a cheap Japanese bookstore.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2010, 11:59:40 am »

With regards to the title, I suppose that would be the Japanese.

Anyway, I was happy to find that my school library had Death Note, thus avoiding the massive cost/ trawling around random shops a lot/ horrible fan translations.  Even if someone always got to them before I did.

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2010, 12:44:24 pm »

A lot of it is intended for a younger demographic than the typical anime nerd culture outside Japan would lead you to believe.

And yes, a lot of it is like that: Same artistic, character, animation, and plot cliches thrown all around in slightly different quantities. I tried watching "Bleach" a few times and simply could not understand how people can take it seriously.

On the other hand, there's some good stuff out there in terms of anime, and I'm sure the same can be said of manga, but I honestly have no clue what.

If you want something more intellectually stimulating avoid the series that have no intention of ending ever.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2010, 12:48:12 pm »

Again, I can't speak for manga, but Hayao Miyazaki's movies kick ass, so I can see his manga being rather good.
It's actually not so great, I'm sorry to say.  He doesn't exactly know how to work the medium.
Lier. It's great, Il Palazzo tells you. Respec ma authorita!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2010, 01:50:01 pm »

Unhandled Exception

An unhandled exception was thrown by the application.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2010, 02:58:02 pm »

If you want something more intellectually stimulating avoid the series that have no intention of ending ever.

And the ones that do end, too.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2010, 03:01:14 pm »

Man those series that go on forever suck amirte?

I mean, I just can't enjoy them!

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2010, 03:41:21 pm »

Man those series that go on forever suck amirte?

I mean, I just can't enjoy them!
The Simpsons are DYING.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2010, 03:45:17 pm »

Most cartoons don't really have any intention of ending.  But having something with a consistent storyline that just goes ON AND ON AND ON is really annoying.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2010, 03:53:27 pm »

That's the thing. There are different problems with a series that never ends, depending on what type of series it is.

If it's episodic in nature and doesn't really follow long story/character arcs (like, say, The Simpsons or other comedy shows of that nature) then the problem is that it has to remain "fresh".

If it's a series WITH story/character arcs, then that's problematic, as the premise often gets stretched far too thin, they wind up running out of decent plot material, plot gets convoluted, etc.

Anime based on manga has another issue to contend with, as it often outpaces the manga (why did anybody think this was ever a good idea?), leading to things like pointless/bad filler material and, in more severe cases, plots that flat-out diverge from the source material.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2010, 03:57:00 pm »

Anime based on manga has another issue to contend with, as it often outpaces the manga (why did anybody think this was ever a good idea?), leading to things like pointless/bad filler material and, in more severe cases, plots that flat-out diverge from the source material.
It's probably to do with the faddish nature of manga.  There's no guarentee it'll still be popular by the end of the manga, so they may just start it earlier in order to make sure interest will stay high for the entire series.  Of course, there's then the problem to contend with of a weekly adapted TV show vs a monthly source comic (which usually has less material per installment anyway), but whatever.

TIFEL

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2010, 04:08:08 pm »

Anyone else got a manga they'd want to recommend me to waste my money on?

BERSERK, Vagabond

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2010, 04:34:16 pm »

Anyone else got a manga they'd want to recommend me to waste my money on?

You could try Priest.
Started reading, but somehow lost track of it.
Have to start over again, when I have some spare time.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2010, 05:59:16 pm »

in a similar fashion to some of the above posts I cant recommend the AKIRA manga enough. Its way better than the film which too is amazing. The AKIRA manga is one of my favourite things full stop
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2010, 06:19:48 pm »

If money is an issue, allow me to direct you to this lovely site.

http://www.onemanga.com/

Rather nice place.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4