Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Manga: Who reads this crap?  (Read 3467 times)

Tofu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Manga: Who reads this crap?
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2010, 07:58:17 am »

Can't help but semi-resurrect this topic, after its four days of inactivity.

To the OP : Read Gantz. Don't ask why, but just do it. liek nao.
It's finally a manga that doesn't creep around the bullshit, and doesn't intend to live forever like those other abominations.

and yeah, that...onemanga thing works.

Nolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2010, 08:28:04 am »

I've been meaning to order some manga, it's a pity amazon.co.jp charges ¥3200 for shipping to North America. The manga itself is priced quite reasonably, but ordering ~25 volumes results in over a third of the costs being shipping.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2010, 02:11:22 pm »

I've been meaning to order some manga, it's a pity amazon.co.jp charges ¥3200 for shipping to North America. The manga itself is priced quite reasonably, but ordering ~25 volumes results in over a third of the costs being shipping.

If you can read Japanese, use Book Off.  It's like $1 per volume, which will cut down on your costs one hell of a lot.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2010, 03:16:45 pm »

I recommend Claymore...

Updates once a month, usually within the first week of a new month.  If you are reading it online.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2010, 12:32:23 am »

I have a personal policy of never reading a manga unless I have access to the entire series. :/ It bugs me when I can't get to the end.

If you're interested in something different and are a fan of horror, I really recommend picking up something by Junji Ito.

Uzumaki is probably the best one out in English. I found it a really enjoyable and refreshingly unique horror series, told mostly through single-chapter connected stories. It's about a town cursed with spirals.

Gyo is interesting, though not as good in my opinion. The release I bought also included the short story "The Enigma of Amigara Fault" which freaked me out more than anything else ever. YMMV, though.

Uzumaki is 3 volumes and Gyo is 2, and both are complete self-contained stories.

If you can read Japanese, use Book Off.  It's like $1 per volume, which will cut down on your costs one hell of a lot.

My sister can read Japanese and has been spending a lot on manga. Can you point me towards Book Off? Or is it a physical store only? :/

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2010, 12:41:50 am »

Here ya go =)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2010, 01:14:41 am »

It looks like they don't ship outside of Japan.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2010, 01:16:13 am »

It looks like they don't ship outside of Japan.

They'd better.  They've got stores in the States, too (I should know--I bought half my manga collection at one in New York).

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2010, 01:18:35 am »

The online store only ships within Japan, and the nearest physical location to me is on the other side of Canada.  :-\

Thanks anyway.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2010, 01:20:38 am »

The online store only ships within Japan, and the nearest physical location to me is on the other side of Canada.  :-\

Thanks anyway.

Ah, okay.  Too bad... Sorry about that.

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2010, 07:32:37 am »

I can't believe no-one's mentioned [urlhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akira_(film)]Akira[/url]

it was the first manga to make it across from Japan to the UK in the early 90's. the Film's only about half of the original story, but still awesome. Not sure where you'd be able to get copies, but most places that stock that sort of stuff should be able to find it.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2010, 12:56:12 pm »

Just a few weeks ago I was thinking to myself how those of the anglophones who are also comic books lovers are handicapped when it comes to European comics' availability.
And just today I've found one of my favourites, a comic that I've grown up with, all translated and available on-line.

http://www.mangavolume.com/chninkel/chapter-chninkel-1/

The translation isn't stellar, but there isn't any other one available out there, as far as I could tell.

If you've ever wondered what are European comixes about, check it out.

Also, it's got dwarves!

Note: don't mind the empty pages. Whomever scanned the book was diligent enough to scan blank pages as well. The story begins at page 7. Also, the second page is a scan of the back of the book, in case it confused you.

I'm totally biased when it comes to Chninkel, and think it's the best comic book ever, so if you don't mind let me know what you think about it.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2010, 03:12:24 pm »

Mushishi is a good manga and an awesome anime. Seriously, its like A Miyazaki movie crossed with House MD crossed with ghost busters.

Go watch it.

Now.

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2010, 03:13:36 pm »

Thanks for pointing me at that, just had to read it all. Felt a bit rushed though, doing it in one sitting, easily scope for a much longer chronicle.

The Kolds fit our style of dwarfs though, loved the talk of dropping J'on in boiling lead. ;D

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2010, 04:35:57 pm »

Let's not forget
Spoiler: megabeast attack! (click to show/hide)
(it's more of a sasquatch than a megabeast though)

They were also selling caged creatures to the "elves".

Also, I think that DF needs slavery implemented.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4