Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Manga: Who reads this crap?  (Read 3466 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Manga: Who reads this crap?
« on: March 15, 2010, 02:18:05 am »

So I bought the entire 'King of Thorn' series for a hundred bucks, courtesy of Australia's stupid shipping shit. Upon reading it, I found it absolutely amazingly enjoyable. Maybe not worth a hundred dollars, but, definately awesome in a lot of ways.

Anyone else got a manga they'd want to recommend me to waste my money on?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
Re: Manga: Who reads this crap?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 02:40:44 am »

I wouldnt say it's wasting your money, it's just a different style of comic book.

Though i would reccomend Helsing or Death note. they are pretty good.

It depends, do you want the regular Mangas, or the "other" ones. (You know what i mean.)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 02:56:07 am »

No Jakkara. I am not talking about ero-manga.

And I get that it's a 'different style of comic book'. I would even say, a better style. But something about a hundred dollars for a six-book series kind of pisses me off.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 02:58:11 am »

Yeah, helsing and death note then.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 02:59:45 am »

I read FMA. It's ok, i guess.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 03:07:04 am »

I dunno. I don't really want to read a Manga which I've already seen as an Anime. It's like watching the movie, and going back to read the book. As in, I'll probably end up disappointed when I realise how much the movie fell short. And if I don't, it'll just be like seeing it again.

Vigilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 04:22:18 am »

Mirai Nikki/Future Diary

I've read the first three volumes and it's pretty good stuff.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 04:33:27 am »

My cousin is all into that manga anime crap and I've read a bit and I just don't get the appeal. Its the same silly themes over and over again and the same trite character archetypes.

I dunno if something is lost in the translation or their culture doesn't mesh right or what.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 04:45:20 am »

A lot of it is intended for a younger demographic than the typical anime nerd culture outside Japan would lead you to believe.

And yes, a lot of it is like that: Same artistic, character, animation, and plot cliches thrown all around in slightly different quantities. I tried watching "Bleach" a few times and simply could not understand how people can take it seriously.

On the other hand, there's some good stuff out there in terms of anime, and I'm sure the same can be said of manga, but I honestly have no clue what.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 05:15:26 am »

Actually, can I share something?

I watched FMA Brotherhood, and I'm planning on continuing to do so. It's a good show. But now that I've seen it...

I enjoy watching Cappa Mikey. Simply because of the extreme satire of Anime in general. Someone's head inflates to enormous proportions every five second, sweat drops are so huge they obscure faces, people just start yelling for no reason, the works.

I don't follow the plot of the episode, God no, but I can appreciate it, despite it being aimed at a demographic I moved on from five years ago (and I'm never going back), because Anime and Manga are just so... well, they're mood whiplash. Compressed and concentrated and infused with paper and ink. One minute, the scene and the plot are both so dark it's uncomfortable, but undeniably cool. Then, crocodile face. You know the one I mean. Edwards lips are twice the length of his head and flap randomly, and are filled with jagged teeth.

What the fuck is that? You were contemplating the murder of some person very close to you so why the fuck did you suddenly mutate into Crocoman?

It's a huge detraction from the work, depending on the mood immediately beforehand.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 05:17:30 am by Jackrabbit »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 05:34:35 am »

Manga industry is like movie industry. You get a lot of crap out of it, but if you'll judge all of it after seeing some of the bad stuff, you'll miss all the good ones.
Myself, I'd reccomend reading Hayao Miyazaki's Nausicaa, even if you've seen the movie. The animated version is just the top of an iceberg, story-wise.
Blame!(can't remember the author) is pretty amazing too, if you're into cyberpunk, or SF in general.

On the other hand, you guys should try some of the European(i.e. mostly Belgian and French ones) comics when you'll have a chance. These are quite different from the typical American stuff from Marvel and DC.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 05:36:15 am »

Man, I saw the title and thought we'd be discussing how bad manga is.

I am disappoint.
Shoes...

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 05:44:02 am »

Be proactive. Make your own thread bashing manga. The drama will be overwhelming and, as I don't plan to take part, delicious.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 05:46:16 am »

Myself, I'd reccomend reading Hayao Miyazaki's Nausicaa, even if you've seen the movie. The animated version is just the top of an iceberg, story-wise.

Again, I can't speak for manga, but Hayao Miyazaki's movies kick ass, so I can see his manga being rather good.

Seriously, Princess Mononoke is probably going to be one of those movies I still have to watch every once in a while when I'm 50.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 06:03:07 am »

Yeah, same here.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4