Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The most awesome siege  (Read 3486 times)

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
The most awesome siege
« on: March 14, 2010, 11:29:48 pm »

I hit the tri-fecta of fun. when a Human Caravan showed up, I entered another siege *3rd one in a year!!!* against the Gobs. 70 gobs stormed the entrance at the same time, where the human caravan lay in wait. What happened next was so fun, fun does not begin to describe it.

The entire human force mobilized at once and assaulted the goblin siege head on. My own dwarves joined in the fight shortly afterwards. Within less than a minute, the entire entrance was covered with blood, vomit, body parts, corpses, dropped equipment, and all three races scuffling and brawling in one of the largest siege fights I've ever seen. The gobs suffered 50+ casualties, the humans 2, but no dwarf was critically injured.

To add insult to injury, the last gob squad to stay around got attacked by my military leader, who entered a martial trance (the dwarven Bankai) right as he entered the midst of them, and killed almost all of them before I called him off when he grew tired. The last remains of their forces are now crawling slowly out of my fortress region.

Who else here has an awesome siege story to tell?
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

Kza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The most awesome siege
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 01:22:56 am »

Once, when a line of a few stone fall traps hit every single goblin attacker and sent the survivors fleeing, and the other, when I mistakenly left my back entrance open and they rushed into my dining room. Not a single casualty what so ever, which made me happy. Nothing like your story, though.
And then it's pretty much a normal fortress from then on.
I find the idea of a normal fortress amusing.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 07:56:54 am »

I mistakenly left my back entrance open and they rushed into my dining room.

Nasty little buggers.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 08:16:35 am »

Nasty little buggers.

I bet they just dumped their goblinite in your waste pit and then disappeared without saying goodbye.  And they never call!

er... right?   ???
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 08:48:53 am »

Nasty little buggers.

I bet they just dumped their goblinite in your waste pit and then disappeared without saying goodbye.  And they never call!

er... right?   ???

ewwwwww....     :-\
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 11:04:37 am »

Nasty little buggers.

er... right?   ???
In my experience they unload the goods before even penetrating the entrance.
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

khantin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 11:17:16 am »

I'm sensing.... sexual innuendo? impossible, I must be dwarf-drunk.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 12:37:21 pm »

Nasty little buggers.

er... right?   ???
In my experience they unload the goods before even penetrating the entrance.

ZING!

OT: Eh, No amazing tales of heroism, but i'm not a military guy, and i have Orc seiges. So, I deal with Isolation and intelligent design to take em' out.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 03:40:51 pm »

Looking for more action, I've been intentionally pissing off not only the elves but the humans too.  Finally a human siege arrives -- three large groups of soldiers, lots of weaponmasters, mostly on horseback.  I pull all my guys inside and set up the army just behind the open gates.  I'm waiting to use my usual tactic I take with goblins, which is to let them try to storm the gates, where most of them get snatched up in cage traps, and then send out the champions to pick off the stragglers.

But the humans just wander around outside and don't come near the gates.  Eventually they wander out behind my tower, so I send my crossbow guys up there.  They squeeze off one or two potshots, and suddenly the whole human army breaks and runs off the map as fast as their laughably regular-length legs can carry them.

So what's the deal here?  Are humans aware of traps?  Or are they just total chickens?
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 03:57:10 pm »

I believe all traps seen by diplomats will be known to the attackers. Surprisingly, traps that are sprung before their own eyes will not.

EliDupree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Eli Dupree's Web Page
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 03:57:47 pm »

Who else here has an awesome siege story to tell?
Umm... a mob of goblins walked into my gatehouse, triggered the pressure plates, and walked back and forth between the false corridor entrances until they were all killed by my dozens of 10x-Menacing-Iron-Spikes traps?

The defenses I tend to use make sieges rather boring :P

I guess there's the time when I had to close my entrance gates, but then the goblins wandered around pointlessly outside and managed to sustain enough casualties to retreat just by walking over the stonefall traps I'd built long before to guard an entrance that was no longer functional. I don't remember if that was a siege or just a couple of ambushes, though.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 04:18:53 pm »

I unwisely decided to make the entrance to my sewerworks outside my walls. While carving it out, my miners were attacked by a horde of ghouls, which are tough customers. Since there was a ton of them and only four miners, I figured that they were doomed and recruited them. They tore a bloody swathe through the undead, causing all the survivors to flee. Unfortunately, all but one miner died. But each and every one of them had killed many more zombies than expected.

After the battle, it looked like a butcher's shop had exploded. Ghoul bits and dwarf bits were scattered over the fields, the bridge, the river, the tunnels, the stairs... A decapitated head even made it over my walls into the main courtyard! Every combatant had been torn to little bits, with not a single clean kill. After fighting his way out of the sewers, the lone survivor emerged to daylight to see the remaining undead fleeing in terror. Having sustained broken bones and near unconscious from exhaustion, the miner limped towards the main gate.

Suddenly, a ghoul leapt out of nowhere and they began wrestling on the drawbridge! The survivor was helpless! A passing weaver was drafted, and with a flying tackle knocked the zombie off and tore him to bits!

That miner was given the profession 'Tunnel Lord', and shall be among the highest of my nobles. Since then he has eviscerated all manner of monsters and men, often without being drafted.

And he just had a possession mood, creating a throne made of native platinum ore and platinum bars.

Called Matchedsank the Fist of Picks.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

kelderan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 05:27:01 pm »

Best yet, and it was a good one.

I had made a fort, defended my entrance well in the side of a mountain with a good number of traps (I didn't feel like making a military just yet as I was only one migration in and 24 dwarfs). I noticed early on that my mountain side had a large spire like peak and decided to make a sort of suicide plank from it into the pond below for captured enemies (I love cage traps more then adamantine itself). Well, halfway through building the wall which my death plank would be build upon, elves attacked me! apparently they were at war with me from world gen and I was SoL. They poured in through my newly made, undefended entrance, and slaughtered all but 5, which they began twisting wooden spears into for over an entire season!

Just then, I received around 20 migrants, turning them all military as soon as they got there. The elves were so busy stabbing unconscious dwarfs that I was able to command 20 unarmed soap and lye makers to kill off all 12 elves that were left!

Best battle ever.

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 12:20:50 pm »

Another siege occured, this one twice as bloody as the previous.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Just like the previous, the gobs attacked while a trade caravan was in town. Unfortunately for the gobs, this was a DWARVEN caravan.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A bloody battle and another dwarven Bankai later, the siege ends abruptly. I also noticed that one of the local rulers was in the siege, too. He appeared the two previous times, but didn't get his face ripped off because he was always in the back row. He's fleeing again. I won't let him escape this time!
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

Onamar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 01:31:00 pm »

Errm well none of my forts have survived or entertained me long enough for a full on siege to happen, but one thing did get close.  Three Goblin ambushes in a row, in pretty much the same spot, all triggered by my adventuring party (a.k.a. a squad of 7 champions, each one legendary wit ha different weapon, plus one wrestler) on their patrol route around the front of my fort. It was almost amazing to see how fast the goblins got ripped apart, I surveyed the damage later, and it seemed only a few goblin corpses were still in one piece, and none of them made it out alive.  The only injury any of my dwarves got was that my crossbowdwarf's arm was moderately wounded (greyish-yellow) when he ran out of arrows, I should have given him more hammer training... I channeled around all the bloodstains and channeled some lava into it (my magma pipe was at the surface on that map) and walled it in to make a statue garden.
...a massive, golden, middle finger... to let the damn goblins who attack every merchant caravan that comes through know what I think of them.
Pages: [1] 2