Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A blessing or a possible curse?  (Read 1679 times)

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A blessing or a possible curse?
« on: March 14, 2010, 08:56:55 pm »

So, I embarked on a pretty nice area. Brook, Magma pipe, chasm, bottomless pit, and UG river, and my excitement about this site increased tenfold when I saw 39 visible gold ore deposits on the face of the rock. But then I remembered a fortress where a player was lucky enough to embark on a site with extremely large deposits of gold. I forgot this players name, but he said he had so much gold even the low-life peasant was eating off of an masterwork golden table. The king came to his fort and so did hordes of immigrants. The player then had a horrible tantrum spiral... So, what are some suggestions or tips on preventing the same fate coming to my fort? (If I do have enough gold to start the activate the apocalypse in immigrants.)
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

EliDupree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Eli Dupree's Web Page
Re: A blessing or a possible curse?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 09:03:07 pm »

Either don't build too many masterwork golden tables, or be careful not to set off tantrum spirals. Or accommodate the influx of immigrants really well (you should be able to do that by that point in the game, right?)

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 09:03:59 pm »

... What point in the game are you referring to?

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 09:04:08 pm »

If you can't resist hoarding the gold (and you shouldn't!) then you must also hoard food early on. Try and get as much growing done in the fields, send them out for herbalism in between planting and harvest, and try and set up a little meat industry. Remember that simply hunting animals will extinct them, so capturing and breeding is the way to go.

Order as much food as possible from the traders, and make sure bears and raccoons don't steal it. Just make sure you have enough food to survive a large population increase.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

EliDupree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Eli Dupree's Web Page
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 09:05:17 pm »

The point where the king has shown up.

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 09:09:54 pm »

The point where the king has shown up.
Ah...

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 09:18:39 pm »

You can always just seal the entrance to migrants if you don't want them. Set up a slaughterhouse operated by the inner fort and order all new migrants there and into the military. No worrying about them making friends or anything.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 11:45:57 pm »

Only on the Bay12 forums will you be encouraged to isolate and kill your own people.
As for the gold deposits, I suggest you wait until you have a few good miners before you start mining them, because dabblers and novices will end up costing you dozens of smelt-able nuggets, lowering your potential fortress wealth by thousands.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 11:59:35 pm »

The simplest answer here is to leave the gold unmined until you are prepared to use it.  If you REALLY want to mine it as soon as your miners are ready then don't put any of the stuff you build in commoners rooms, save it all for communal areas, generic decoration, and nobles quarters.  As for dealing with the migrants, as suggested above, sock in a large supply of food and drink before starting to work the gold and you should be able to deal with huge waves of migrants.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 01:28:12 am »

Don't forget also to request silver ore off the caravans. Silver weapons deal half damage. Even better if it's a no-quality weapon (have a peasant or other no-smithing-skill dwarf make it). You can buy wooden swords off of elven caravans, which likewise deal half damage. Oh, look, the elves are actually USEFUL for something! Train your military dwarves as wrestlers first, while wearing armor and shields, then train them in their chosen weapon second.

This should help prevent sparring accidents and keep your military effective.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 02:10:10 am »

So, I embarked on a pretty nice area. Brook, Magma pipe, chasm, bottomless pit, and UG river, and my excitement about this site increased tenfold when I saw 39 visible gold ore deposits on the face of the rock. But then I remembered a fortress where a player was lucky enough to embark on a site with extremely large deposits of gold. I forgot this players name, but he said he had so much gold even the low-life peasant was eating off of an masterwork golden table. The king came to his fort and so did hordes of immigrants. The player then had a horrible tantrum spiral... So, what are some suggestions or tips on preventing the same fate coming to my fort? (If I do have enough gold to start the activate the apocalypse in immigrants.)
There's your solution right there, friend! Make a boxy placed, once you've got the drafted immigrants inside, lock the door and pull the levers inside connected to the grates and in there and lo and behold! Immigrants-on-a-stick!

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 02:38:59 am »

Following this thread, I started wondering how to spend gold the best. According to the wiki gold nuggets and gold bars both have material value 30. Does this mean it's much wiser to build tables of gold nuggets instead of 3 gold bars? The same material value and three times as much tables!
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 02:48:01 am »

Following this thread, I started wondering how to spend gold the best. According to the wiki gold nuggets and gold bars both have material value 30. Does this mean it's much wiser to build tables of gold nuggets instead of 3 gold bars? The same material value and three times as much tables!

It is economically wiser. Still I can't help but picture solid golden tables being more awesome and dwarfier than stone with some vague glistening in it.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Phil_Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 02:55:23 am »

that's right.  it's like that with adamantium too- better to make it out of the ore than the bars themselves.
It's community is the natural side effect of a game being a masterpiece hiding behind the learning curve of a brick wall - trolls can't play DF long enough to find something to ridicule.
Toady One has created a masterpiece!

Raviaric

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_CARDBOARD_BOXES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 03:06:35 am »

Put a waterfall in your meeting hall(s). They emit rays that instantly make nearby dwarves ecstatic.
Pages: [1] 2