Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Traveller - Empty Intrigue  (Read 6987 times)

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
Re: Traveller - Empty Intrigue
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2010, 12:23:03 am »

I was confused as to what Cthulhu meant, until I realized he meant listing all the skills you earned in one category as well as in the history of where you got it.

I was digging through some old character example sheets I did, trying to find the ones where I actually notated the skills bit by bit (I did not find any, so everybody should look to Cthulhu and Pseudonymous for guidelines as to their own sheets), and I realized that I had different ranking systems for different faction armies. Specifically, Imperial Colony soldiers and officers could grow to the rank of Paladin and the like. As I recall, the rank structure (for officers) went like this:

Commissioned Ranks - Army Career Path
Imperial Colonies       United Earth Parliament
Lieutenant               Lieutenant
Lancer                    Captain
Knight                     Major
Paladin                    Lt. Colonel
High Paladin             Colonel
Templar                  General

As you can see, the United Earth Parliament uses the ranks listed in the book. It's not overly important, I used it mostly for flavour and to help me differentiate between NPCs from different factions at a glance. You would be able to quickly tell between General Edward Smith of the UEP and Sir Edward Smith, Templar of the IC at a glance, for example.

I will list these ranks in full and post them on the (currently empty) Imperial Colonies article on the wiki this weekend. It's not terribly vital that you use them, unless you decide that you want to be from the IC or PLC.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2010, 09:20:15 am »

Still waiting on point buy details...
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2010, 10:38:54 am »

I was planning to, but I was pressed for time when I posted that, so I just copied the record I'd kept in notepad++ and added the roll urls. I'll see if I can't clean it up...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If we don't get a proper pilot, I'll take Pilot (Spacecraft) 1 from the skill package, otherwise I suppose I'm the mechanic and gunner, with the ability to fill in as a doctor or trader in the absence of a properly trained one... :/

It also occurred to me that the -1 END suffered in the mishap would probably be fixable with medical care, for 5K credits, unless that applies exclusively to injury rolls.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2010, 11:37:04 am »

Still waiting on point buy details...

Reading the thread will serve you will. The character sheets so far have been rolling.
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2010, 12:50:25 pm »

Meh, three characters got injuries on their survival rolls and got 1's, another even got an injury crisis and died, and fourth didnt make it into any careers, drafted, and got injury crisis. What the...
Meh, I'll try again tomorrow, if it wont improve, dice might be telling me something.
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2010, 01:35:39 pm »

It looks like a rolled up a bit of a War Hero. Tried to replicate my successful test character and got some fair results. For a Marine he's not terribly combat oriented, but I think that works out. He'll be able to cover on a variety of rolls in a pinch.

Very high Social coming from a Social of 2. I'd imagine my character doesn't really know what to do with all his new found fame.

@Sir Pseudonymous - I noticed that you received several promotions, but I didn't see any extra skill rolls. Did you remember to take the bonus skill roll for successfully advancing? On pg 9 in the core rules...

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2010, 02:14:12 pm »

Meh, three characters got injuries on their survival rolls and got 1's, another even got an injury crisis and died, and fourth didnt make it into any careers, drafted, and got injury crisis. What the...
Meh, I'll try again tomorrow, if it wont improve, dice might be telling me something.

Post up your failed characters, and I will insert them as NPCs in the galaxy somewhere. Might add to flavour.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2010, 11:58:22 pm »

@Sir Pseudonymous - I noticed that you received several promotions, but I didn't see any extra skill rolls. Did you remember to take the bonus skill roll for successfully advancing? On pg 9 in the core rules...

Oh shit, I completely missed that. Of course, I've also managed to miss entire pages in the Warhammer 40K rulebook... I'll have to fix that...
Ok, so the completely random chargen process is somewhat fun, the completely random skills are kind of annoying, though. Ah well, at least he's a fuckwin mechanic and decent gunner, eh? And damned if he didn't take Intro To Anthropology! >:|

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2010, 11:59:37 pm »

Social Sciences is a very important skill, assuming you intend to spend time observing the citizens of a planet and studying their culture.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2010, 04:30:55 pm »

So any idea of when we might have a first session?
Shoes...

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2010, 05:17:27 pm »

They just keep dying or screwing up. RNG doesnt wants me to participate. Drop me out.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2010, 05:35:23 pm »

Maybe we can get a session in for either next weekend (26-28 or march) or the weekend after (April 2-4). What do you guys think?

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2010, 10:13:15 pm »

They just keep dying or screwing up. RNG doesnt wants me to participate. Drop me out.
I just have to ask here, are you sure you're rolling 2d6 and not 1d6 for survival rolls? Because there should be a very low chance of things fucking up badly, even more so on a regular basis. In most careers there's less than a 50% chance of a mishap, especially with a stat bonus to the roll, where I think it comes down to less than 30%, and even there there's not that big a chance for injury...

Edit: any time works for me, I suppose. What medium are we using? IRC? Vassal mod?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 10:54:01 pm by Sir Pseudonymous »

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2010, 11:14:12 pm »

Whatever works best for you guys. We will take a vote.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2010, 12:47:27 am »

Well, there are a few Vassal mods for Traveller, though I haven't actually looked at any of them. The plus to that would be convenient die rolls, a graphical table to play on, and easy room control. The downside is vassal is written in java, and so is something of a resource hog, and has a mildly annoying chat window.

IRC would probably be more familiar, and would have a somewhat better chat (being its whole purpose...), but it lacks a graphical board and built in die rolls, though a bot to handle that would be easy enough to find... It would also mean having a channel and room, to play in, something vassal provides automatically.

My vote would probably be for vassal, because I like it in general, but then the mods for it might be irrelevant/shit, since I'm not seeing any connection for them in the server stats, and neither vassal nor traveller is that obscure... (though I must admit, the majority of traffic on vassal seems to be for V40K, which is ironic considering how hard it is to find if you don't know where to look) I have nothing against IRC though, it's quite nice even if I don't use it much anymore.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4