Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Traveller - Empty Intrigue  (Read 6984 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Traveller - Empty Intrigue
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2010, 01:59:23 pm »

I mean he's a military type wh--Oh wait, whoa.  I really messed this one up, had some stats switched around when I was rolling.

I think I'll redo this one, if that's a no-no I'll fix what I did wrong with the first guy and try to keep as much as possible intact, other than messing up some die rolls he's not as hosed as I thought he was.

Alright, I have one put together, tell me if there's something wrong with it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 05:14:47 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2010, 06:03:10 pm »

Man, I've always liked the traveller series, but never got to play it very much.

I have a few of the books, (core, merc and high guard) But don't get to use them as none of my friends are really into the whole RPG thing.

I'd love to observe or join in if there's space!

Have you placed your homebrew setting info somewhere on the web? Would love to have a peek.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2010, 07:11:09 pm »

I *think* he linked to a wiki with information on it in either the eclipse phase or traveller thread in other games.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2010, 10:43:46 pm »

Here is the Wiki I've used. I've only done minor edits recently. I should probably toss up a few more details about the Imperial Colonies and the Planetary Liberation Coalition.

I'm not sure if the brief summary history of the galaxy is on there or if it's only on the private forum my RL friends and I used. Will check within the week and toss that up too.

Core stats actually do benefit from being random: It is possible for me to roll two 5s, three 6s, and one seven; or to get 11, 11, 10, 12, 12, 8. The bell curve peaks it at 7, but still. Especially considering how important the core stats are for skill checks.

EDIT: Cthulhu, that looks okay from a cursory glance.

Did you take your initial 2 skills (3 - 1 EDU) for skills learned between 0-18 years old? If not, try grabbing a Vacc Suit skill, for the Combat Armour. I might homebrew a rule so you only need Vacc Suit for Combat Armour if you intend to use it to survive hostile conditions, but that's a bridge I'll cross later.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 10:47:55 pm by Grakelin »
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2010, 11:06:37 pm »

I did, my guy grew up in a relatively low-tech agrarian world and knew Drive and Animals.  The monotony of life there is why he joined the army.  I thought about changing it when I noticed the armor needed Vacc Suit, but I liked the backwater hick idea too much to change it.
Shoes...

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2010, 02:50:07 am »

Cthulhu, where did you find the template for rolling your character? Like, the event tables and rules and such?
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2010, 11:52:04 am »

The rulebook?  Or am I confused and you're talking about something else?
Shoes...

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2010, 03:26:21 pm »

What books are we using, anyways? I've managed to, uh, "acquire" all six of the career books (Merc, High Guard, Scout, Psion, Agent, Scoundrel) that appear to be out, after a bit of digging around. And to anyone who objects to my not buying them, going off the prices on the main website, that would be something like $200 worth of books, for a game I've never played. After buying a few D&D supplements (and the main player's rule book...), I swore I'd never burn money like that again.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2010, 03:36:12 pm »

Yeah,

I bought mine from Drive Thru RPG which sells the digital versions cheaper than from Mongoose.

I just rolled up a test character using the core rules and he turned out pretty cool. Wish I had used a public dice viewer.

Marine character ended up advancing to Colonel. His physical stats kind of suffered, but he got a huge social boost along with some nice mustering out benefits.

What kind of characters is everyone thinking of rolling up?

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2010, 05:46:11 pm »

I'm fine with you guys using the supplements, on account of their career tables sucking anyway.

If you need ideas for a character, try rolling some engineers or doctors or pilots. There's already a warrior.

EDIT: Keep in mind that you can still have a badass action hero with such skills. The Navy career allows you to roll soldier engineers and pilots, for example.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2010, 09:27:22 pm »

The rulebook?  Or am I confused and you're talking about something else?

I mean like, did you use a generator or spreadsheet or something?
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2010, 11:06:58 pm »

No, it was all done by hand.
Shoes...

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2010, 05:26:04 pm »

Is taking a walk out an airlock a valid alternative to the drifter career? :3

I tried to roll up a pilot: the poor bastard flunked out of flight school, winding up as a scavenger for that term. He then applied to the navy, failed to qualify, applied to the draft, wound up in the navy, taking the flight specialization, and was promptly forced out by a rival. He tried to become a smuggler, and failed. So he walked out an airlock. :|

Trying again, I suppose... :|

Edit: I'm convinced that invisiblecastle just hates me. >:|
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 06:13:46 pm by Sir Pseudonymous »

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2010, 09:58:28 pm »

Ok, so the second try was not such an abject failure, and I wound up with a moderately wealthy amateur pilot(possibly... :/)/trader/decent gunner/medic/engineer/professional mechanic:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I believe I did all that correctly... :/

Haven't come up with a name yet or chosen a particular field for that Engineer () 1. Kind of a failure as a pilot, seeing as how I couldn't manage to get a single rank in it. Also as a trader, though I wasn't aiming for that at all. Mechanic wound up my strong suit, which I was also in no way aiming for... :|

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2010, 10:12:56 pm »

You should probably put the skills all in one place, instead of having them all spread out like that.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4