Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Traveller - Empty Intrigue  (Read 6986 times)

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
Traveller - Empty Intrigue
« on: March 14, 2010, 08:09:16 pm »

As per the old thread...

Starting up a Traveller game! Looking for a session at around the end of March. I am looking for 4-6 players. I am in the Eastern Time Zone (GMT -5) and am best for weekend evenings (Friday-Saturday).

The setting I use is a homebrew. It is the year 2463, and the Galaxy has just finished the Fourth Galactic War. As PCs, you play a group of free traders/mercenaries who are caught in the crossfire between the feuding factions of the United Earth Parliament, the Imperial Colonies, the Planetary Liberation Coalition, and the Galactic Council of Independent Planets.

Sign up here! When you sign up, also add a short blurb about what kind of character you might want to play, and what kind of adventure you are looking for. This is important to my ability to tailor the adventure to you.

Openings:

1. Little
2. Pillow Killer
3. Sir Pseudonymous
4. Cthulhu
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 11:48:52 am by Grakelin »
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
Re: Traveller - Empty Intrigue
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 03:07:06 am »

In!

I'd like to play someone sort of seedy, with no qualms about bending the law but works within it. I'm not sure how the character creation system works, though, so I'd be up for anything. I'd like to see a game with Political Intrigue, as well as Action.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 12:26:07 am by Little »
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 05:31:22 am »

Sure in!

Im unsure about the character, but the setting? I'll go for pretty much anything.
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 10:57:08 am »

I'm in.

Don't know about character or style yet.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 11:45:35 am »

I guess I'll join, but I might drop out if it looks like I'm overstretching myself with Rogue Trader(Which doesn't seem to be getting any interest) and that D&D campaign, if it gets going.  I'll make sure if I do have to drop out I do it before the game starts, though.

Anyway, I'll probably be a more military kind of guy, and campaign-wise I'm pretty ambivalent as long as there's at least some action.
Shoes...

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 11:51:15 am »

Maybe I'll set you up as some green smugglers, then, going around transporting illicit goods past patrols. The military-type characters could be the muscle. You'd also need a pilot, a mechanic/engineer, and a trader. Or people with a combination of these skills. You will get a skill package, so you can score any skills you do not already have (as per the Mongoose rules).

EDIT: Rather than have you roll for stats (which is extremely arbitrary and game-breaking in this system), I am thinking of using a point-buy system for them. I will post again later after contemplation.
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Redd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 02:24:45 pm »

Can others sit in on the session? I'd like to get an idea of how the game plays.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 07:53:57 pm »

Maybe I'll set you up as some green smugglers, then, going around transporting illicit goods past patrols. The military-type characters could be the muscle. You'd also need a pilot, a mechanic/engineer, and a trader. Or people with a combination of these skills. You will get a skill package, so you can score any skills you do not already have (as per the Mongoose rules).
That actually sounds pretty good. Only notion I had was about what cthulhu said, only wordier and less coherent.

EDIT: Rather than have you roll for stats (which is extremely arbitrary and game-breaking in this system), I am thinking of using a point-buy system for them. I will post again later after contemplation.
I don't know, the randomness and general brutality of the chargen system seems like a pretty important feature of the game. With a point buy system, it would just end up min/maxing (if someone knew the system well enough to do so) or random, uninformed guesswork (if they didn't). But, then, I haven't tried making a character yet, so this is, at best, idle speculation.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 07:58:10 pm »

Can others sit in on the session? I'd like to get an idea of how the game plays.

Ditto for me.  I'm only familiar with the GURPS adaptation of Traveller, so the real system looks a little stilted to me.  But that's just my taste.  Eager spectator though.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 11:03:45 pm »

I meant a point buy for the core stats, STR, DEX, END, INT, EDU, and SOC. But hey, if you want to roll for it, feel free. It would have to be publically viewable somehow, though.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 12:31:41 am »

Maybe I'll set you up as some green smugglers, then, going around transporting illicit goods past patrols. The military-type characters could be the muscle. You'd also need a pilot, a mechanic/engineer, and a trader.

Sounds good.
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 04:05:22 am »

invisiblecastle.com has a public roller.

I assume we don't have to stick with a character once it's started?  This one I'm doing is turning out a huge dud.
Shoes...

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 04:08:32 am »

I want in!

I wanna play a gunslinging mercenary in a world full of combat and intrigue.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 08:55:47 am »

I meant a point buy for the core stats, STR, DEX, END, INT, EDU, and SOC. But hey, if you want to roll for it, feel free. It would have to be publically viewable somehow, though.
Oh, I was thinking of the career stuff. Core stats don't really benefit from being random, so that's perfectly fine.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 12:54:14 pm »

Quote from: Cthulhu
invisiblecastle.com has a public roller.

I assume we don't have to stick with a character once it's started?  This one I'm doing is turning out a huge dud.

A dud can still be successful and fun ...

Or do you mean like, his hobbies include complaining that he doesn't have any hobbies? And his skills include misdirecting attention away from his paunch and bald spots and acne by telling long, corny jokes that don't go anywhere?

That kind of dud should just be rerolled :P
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic
Pages: [1] 2 3 4