Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Perfect pit?  (Read 6081 times)

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Perfect pit?
« on: March 14, 2010, 03:22:54 pm »

Is it possible to build a room with no entrances? In other words, dig a pit without ramps or stairs into it? I don't want to lose a dwarf, but I'd rather get rid of the last stair if possible.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect pit?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 03:27:26 pm »

Totally. It's a pretty cool trick I learned a little while ago and I've been looking for a relevant thread to post it >_>

Thing is that you can build a downwards-staircase on a floor. And when you remove it, the floor returns. So all you have to do is build a down-stair and dig an up-stair below, then remove the up-stair and deconstruct the down-stair and voila.

Alternatively if you're willing to make the pit open-air you can go the more standard route of just digging out a giant area with up/down stairs and channeling it out slowly from above.

LoneJedi7

• Bay Watcher
  • The CaKE is A LIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 03:34:08 pm »

Thing is that you can build a downwards-staircase on a floor. And when you remove it, the floor returns. So all you have to do is build a down-stair and dig an up-stair below, then remove the up-stair and deconstruct the down-stair and voila.
your kidding?!?  i had no idea you could do that. i always just channelled and dug out the room below then walled in where i tunneled in from.  This will totally change how i build my......"pits o' Fun."
ℍ!Ξ[/[Θ]![ℍ∑▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 03:42:28 pm »

Wouldn't the dwarf removing the up stair be left on the level below?

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 04:51:46 pm »

your kidding?!?  i had no idea you could do that.

I don't think anyone did. At least, I've never seen it posted before on the forums or wiki or anything.

Yup. Which isn't necessarily a downside - consider the practical uses! You have the miner remove the natural up-stair, replace it with a constructed one, and have a noble remove it, creating their very own natural tomb! You don't even have to worry about miasma. The only real negative implication is that your dwarves may slowly begin to fear their fortress is haunted what with all the screaming coming from below the rocky floor.

MacaqueAttack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 04:54:37 pm »

Can't you just channel a room?

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 05:21:00 pm »

That's freaking cartoon physics right there. Like portable holes. I gotta try that now.

That also gives me some interesting ideas regarding sealed entrances to forts that nobody can invade. Heck, you can even have separated setups, like an outdoor dwarf village and an underground fortress completely isolated from each other.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 05:23:29 pm by Itnetlolor »

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 06:00:05 pm »

What I wish is that channeling from above would remove the upstair below.

TheDancinZerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 06:08:15 pm »

you could also set off a cave in with a lever connected to a support.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 06:15:31 pm »

you could also set off a cave in with a lever connected to a support.

Hmm... unless you dug out another level above that one, wouldn't it be hard to do that?

I'm thinking...

Couldn't you have an upstair and a downstair with one tile between where the stairs are and the edge of the eventual "perfect pit".  Channel away/deconstruct the downstair, channel the floor tile that makes a bridge, replace it with a grate, and then build a floor or something over the tile with the downstair. 

Because the grate can't support, but you can trick the game into building unsupported floors or something, you could cause a cave-in over the upstairs.

Or am I missing something?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 06:22:39 pm »

Yeah, cave-ins could solve your problems. If you want to be detail-sensitive enough to remove even the mechanism that a collapsed support would leave behind, you could make your pit extra-deep and collapse a layer of natural walls rather than floors too, and wipe everything below from existence completely.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 06:51:33 pm »

If you build a wall, and there is a ceiling overhead, and that wall is unsupported from the sides, would it cave-in?  Or would it need to be unsupported from above, even during a construction?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 09:35:38 pm »

needs to be unsupported from above too.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 12:05:54 am »

Totally. It's a pretty cool trick I learned a little while ago and I've been looking for a relevant thread to post it >_>

Alternatively if you're willing to make the pit open-air you can go the more standard route of just digging out a giant area with up/down stairs and channeling it out slowly from above.

Is removing the dug-out/built up stair necessary? With the constructed down stair deconstructed from above, the floor returns. They can't just the up stair below and reappear on the floor upstairs, can they?

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 12:10:06 am »

Yeah, I'm being overly picky. I want to create magma power holes that are pristine; but I think a single stair isn't too bad.

I'll have to think about collapsing stuff; but this time I channeled from above in the wrong place and ruined it anyway. Didn't hurt anything, though.
Pages: [1] 2