Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Point of no return - irreversible isolation.  (Read 1493 times)

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
Point of no return - irreversible isolation.
« on: March 14, 2010, 03:01:15 pm »

Little fortress. Maximum of four map squares - more means A LOT more time to get it done.
Magma pipe and water (aquifer in one-square-nanofortress is the only way).
The most flat terrain recommended.

And two possible ways to do all the work painlessly - iron/bauxite (with goblins or free@smelter) or modded obsidian melting temperature.

1. Build the raising bridges leaving one/two-tile corridor at all the borders - to obsidianize the borders, making them impassable.
2. Bridge up the whole layer some levels higher (with central stairs) to make the water dissipation system (to help in obsidianising-the-borders process)
3. When all the borders are done - we'll get no invaders and won't let anybody get out as only Dtil ;-) can mine out boundary tiles now.
4. Now build the containers for magma (30*30 tiles with 2 z-level height maximum, but even 35*35*1z will be enough)
5. The same container with additional zlevel of height for water with releasing bridges or preconstructed cave-in'ing system (must be independent with magma!)

6. The side view of the project:

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww - TWO water levels
---------------------------  - bridge level
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm   - magma level
---------------------------   - bridge level
....................................... - empty level
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz - roof bridge level (here will be some floor tiles for material stockpiles)

Somewhere in the center of this will be stairs between isolation walls.
Roof and magma holding bridge must be of magma-proof material, other must be of burning/melting material.

So. Prepare the stockpiles, fill the containers with supposed fluids, deconstruct stairs starting from the top, floor the stair hole in the roof, victimizing the mason dwarf on the top.

And pull the levers.

Obsidianized roof can't be deconstructed.
Obsidianized border tiles can't be mined.

Voila.
Finis sanctificat media.

EliDupree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Eli Dupree's Web Page
Re: Point of no return - irreversible isolation.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 03:48:10 pm »

You can still abandon and then return with a different sized area in order to mine out the walls.

Unless you cast the entire region in obsidian. ;D (and flood the top level with magma if you can't obsidian-ize all of it.)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 03:50:25 pm by EliDupree »

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 04:07:49 pm »

If I remember correctly, when you reclaim, it has to take up the exact area of the abandoned fortress.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 04:34:08 pm »

That's true, but it doesn't matter. The reclamation party will start on top of the obsidian roof, and will be able to dig down. Still, pretty cool.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

EliDupree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Eli Dupree's Web Page
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 04:45:16 pm »

If I remember correctly, when you reclaim, it has to take up the exact area of the abandoned fortress.
What, can't you start a new fort on an overlapping area?

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 04:54:18 pm »

What, can't you start a new fort on an overlapping area?

Nope. Reclaims force you to use the exact fort area (no larger nor no smaller) and you can't embark overlapping any other fortress. It might be possible if you switched civilizations using a mod or something, but I've never tried any of those before so I don't know. Just speculation.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 05:02:32 pm »

It's possible with an external program, but leads to bad things happening.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

EliDupree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Eli Dupree's Web Page
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 05:15:16 pm »

I guess the only question left is what happens if you try to reclaim a fort with no walkable ground?

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 05:39:03 pm »

I guess the only question left is what happens if you try to reclaim a fort with no walkable ground?
Dwarves spawns in the upper left corner tile (no matter that material is there), unable to move or do anything.
Finis sanctificat media.

EliDupree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Eli Dupree's Web Page
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 05:45:20 pm »

Sweet!

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 04:40:24 pm »

That's true, but it doesn't matter. The reclamation party will start on top of the obsidian roof, and will be able to dig down. Still, pretty cool.
I've researched the scheme to make the current live fortress unreachable from outside, stopping attacks, nobles and immigrants.

But for the case of reclaiming there are three ways to make the fortress site almost unreclaimable:

1. Make the roof out off hatches. They're obsidianizes to stalemate state - becomes non-diggable and non-operating.
2. Make the roof 5+ zlevels higher than ground, so diggers cripple their bones falling.
3. Make the third 2 zlevel height reservoir with magma to fill the most upper layer after water.
Finis sanctificat media.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 04:54:13 pm »

How about a platform atop a single pillar, surrounded by a lake of magma?
Code: [Select]
   _____   
     |     
     |     
     |     
~~~~~|~~~~~
~~~~~|~~~~~
~~~~~|~~~~~
###########
###FORT####

With no way to build down (currently), the reclaim party would be stuck on top with no way down.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

EliDupree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Eli Dupree's Web Page
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 05:06:11 pm »

Bonus points if you put some spike traps linked to a repeater on the platform.