Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Platinum  (Read 4800 times)

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Platinum
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2010, 05:11:45 pm »

Make a native platinum mechanism, then build a well using it, preferably using a highly skilled building designer and mason. Watch as it boosts your Architecture wealth to ludicrous levels, since the design and construction quality will combine and multiply by the value of the mechanism (plus the other parts of the well).

Just to give an idea, in a previous fort, a masterfully designed and masterfully constructed well made from an artifact raw adamantine mechanism (1.95M), an artifact adamantine chain (1.46M), a masterwork adamantine bucket (36K), and adamantine blocks (1.5K) managed to boost my created wealth by over 80 million.
zomg

I usually just build furniture for noble room's
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2010, 10:50:18 pm »

If you need the caravan to lose weight, Fast. Just buy heavy but cheap things from them. They carry lot's of heavy useless stuff (like stone blocks).

Iron anvils are also decent candidates. They cost 1000, but weigh about three times that.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2010, 10:54:14 pm »

If you need the caravan to lose weight, Fast. Just buy heavy but cheap things from them. They carry lot's of heavy useless stuff (like stone blocks).

Iron anvils are also decent candidates. They cost 1000, but weigh about three times that.

Wood.  Weighs something with three digits, but has a value of 3.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2010, 11:14:03 pm »

That value of a log includes the value of the material, though (which, by default, is always 1), and doesn't include quality. Oh, and I know wood density actually varies significantly, but I'm not sure how much between types.

But yes, the value of an anvil is 1000, but then you have to multiply that by the quality, and then by the material, so a superior-quality anvil made out of a poor metal like lead still has a value of (1000*2*4 = ) 8000 instead of 1000, and an exceptional-quality anvil made of iron has a value of (1000*10*5 = ) 50000.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2010, 08:16:26 am »

But stuff you order doesn't really count towards your value as a whole, at least not your created value. The best thing to do if you want them to be able to carry mountains of stuff is to order platinum nuggets, gold nuggets, silver nuggets, and wood at max. Buy it all (it's not like you haven't got the Dwarfbucks to spare after year 1), and you'll have loads of room to sell them whatever you need to move while still having money left over. Do that for a couple of years and you will notice that even if you order nothing they will start showing up with 6-7 carts, at least 1-2 of which will have nothing but wood.
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2010, 08:31:53 am »

I suspect that if it had the [GLASS] token (found on Rock Crystal, but does not generate an error if put on a stone) it would be economic, the [Value:#] token might also determine if a stone is economic but I doubt it.

I just tested the [GLASS] tag. It doesn't work.

You are right about [SHARP], [FLUX] and inclusion in a reaction as the criteria for economic stone status. The economic stone mod simply makes a dummy reaction with every vanilla stone listed in it.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2010, 08:36:29 am »

I suspect that if it had the [GLASS] token (found on Rock Crystal, but does not generate an error if put on a stone) it would be economic, the [Value:#] token might also determine if a stone is economic but I doubt it.

I just tested the [GLASS] tag. It doesn't work.

You are right about [SHARP], [FLUX] and inclusion in a reaction as the criteria for economic stone status. The economic stone mod simply makes a dummy reaction with every vanilla stone listed in it.

By doesn't work do you mean it won't make crystal glass or it doesn't count as economic? I just want to clarify for my own records as to what does and does not make glass.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2010, 07:34:11 pm »

That value of a log includes the value of the material, though (which, by default, is always 1), and doesn't include quality. Oh, and I know wood density actually varies significantly, but I'm not sure how much between types.

But yes, the value of an anvil is 1000, but then you have to multiply that by the quality, and then by the material, so a superior-quality anvil made out of a poor metal like lead still has a value of (1000*2*4 = ) 8000 instead of 1000, and an exceptional-quality anvil made of iron has a value of (1000*10*5 = ) 50000.

Wrong. The base value of an anvil is 100, hence the iron anvils buyable on embark and from caravans cost 1000. You can also only make them out of iron, steel, or clownite (the only metals with the [ANVIL] tag) by default.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]