Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Platinum  (Read 4807 times)

Archmage Ansrit

• Bay Watcher
  • I crush -and blow up- stuff FOR JUSTICE!
    • View Profile
Re: Platinum
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2010, 10:11:28 am »

I have a metric ton of chalk in Vanilla, and that's only on my stockpiles. I don't Atomsmash, but I Quantum pile, meaning I have like double the ammount of chalk in the garbage dump alone.

In Dig Dwarfier, I got still got plenty of different stones, there's marble, purple marble and the like. Honestly, I haven't experimented with worldgen enough to notice that.

You know you have a complex game when mods need modding. The mod heavyly alters the way you can handle things, maybe it went too far and...

... and hit HFS... The mod dug too far and hit something it shouldn't... :o
"The concept that a video game can be played in a manner that doesn't entail wasting time amuses me." -Squidhead, GameFAQs forums
Because dwarves are goddamned crazy.
So, basically, it is just a matter of luck whether you live or suffer horrible death... sounds like dwarf fortress.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2010, 10:48:23 am »

Interesting. That's why I'm stuck with having to melt +steel flutes+ to get steel in my Dwarf Heaven fort. Although, to be scientific, we need to compare vanilla + vanilla with Economic Stones mod only.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2010, 10:51:23 am »

Interesting. That's why I'm stuck with having to melt +steel flutes+ to get steel in my Dwarf Heaven fort. Although, to be scientific, we need to compare vanilla + vanilla with Economic Stones mod only.

I have, it has the same results as MayDay. Remember MayDay's setup is only a tileset and the Economic Mod. Mayday == Vanilla + Stone Mod + Tileset.

The tileset doesn't change anything but appearance.
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2010, 11:00:18 am »

Relying on a stone's uses to determine its occurrences in the earth is so ugly.
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Dwarf fort 27

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobles........those basterds
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2010, 11:49:03 am »

I probly did the most retarded thing.....
I want steel for stuff, so i traded a (1) +platinum bracelet+
for a (1)  +steel harp+
Gay? 
Im done producing platinum crafts now (i stopped after 3)
and im just gonna melt bout half into bars and store them in a vault for later uses, its gonna take forever to move all of it  >:(
about 154 units dug out....soo farr.. and about 50 bars made.
"Dwarf Fortress" ... "Like chess, only with short people that can catch on fire like rags soaked in tar, and lots of booze." ... "Like chess." 

- dwarf fortress wiki

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2010, 12:01:15 pm »

I doubt anything you do in DF can be anywhere near as bad as using the words "retarded" and "gay" the way you just did.

Dwarf fort 27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2010, 12:06:06 pm »

Probly nothing i can say.......
maybe im a gay retard.... how does THAT make you feel?
Im gonna go drown out my sorrows by lighting little dwarfs on fire with magma.
"Dwarf Fortress" ... "Like chess, only with short people that can catch on fire like rags soaked in tar, and lots of booze." ... "Like chess." 

- dwarf fortress wiki

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2010, 01:43:28 pm »

Relying on a stone's uses to determine its occurrences in the earth is so ugly.

Actually, the way the economic stone mod adds stones to the economic lists is the ugly part. It's an ugly hack that was just accepted as the best way to do it. Not really sure if it is or isn't, as I don't fully understand how the reaction is supposed to work, but if you look at the RAW for "reaction_all_economic.txt" it's one big reaction that has dozens of reagents and no output so to speak. It's an ugly hack that gets the job done, but as with any ugly hack it's going to have unpleasant side-effects.

As we do not know the source code, we can't really do anything but make a WAG as to why it is cocking it all up, but with the way the reaction is hacked together it is, to me at least, unsurprising that it would confuse the world generator all to hell.

Edit: Here's the RAW's text if you are too lazy to look for it in your folder:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 01:45:24 pm by Asmodeous »

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2010, 02:08:29 pm »

Ugly hacks all around! I thought a stone's economic status was determined by its tags in the raws, not reactions.

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2010, 02:13:49 pm »

That'd be the best way to do it, imo, but it seems that by being in a reaction the stone is designated as economic, so what he effectively did was make a big reaction with all the stones in it as reagents, which, depending on how the game compiles the raws could cause it to confuse things when trying to generate stone layers as per how it views what the reaction is doing.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2010, 02:15:16 pm »

Would be pretty neat if that reaction made adamantite. A reward for the true geological collector.

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2010, 02:20:20 pm »

You could probably force that to happen by having a PRODUCT tag in there that spits out adamant wafers or something.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2010, 02:56:23 pm »

Ugly hacks all around! I thought a stone's economic status was determined by its tags in the raws, not reactions.

No. Economic stones are determined by usage. If the stone produces and ore it is economic, if a stone is part of a reaction (be it REACTION_CLASS:(whatever), an ore or stone specific) it is economic, if it is [SHARP] it is economic, I suspect that if it had the [GLASS] token (found on Rock Crystal, but does not generate an error if put on a stone) it would be economic, the [Value:#] token might also determine if a stone is economic but I doubt it.

When you look at the raws the only difference between marble and schist aside from the tile used and the color is that marble has [REACTION_CLASS:FLUX] and [VALUE:2]. The only difference between obsidian and basalt aside from the tile used is that obsidian has [LAVA][SHARP] and [VALUE:3]. The only difference between lignite and graphite is the environments you find it in, lignite is in a reaction. the only difference between platinum and cobaltite is the color, the environments you find it in and that platinum has both [METAL_ORE:PLATINUM:100] and [VALUE:40].

I figure Toady made DF smart enough to look at the reaction files and the tokens on the stones and decide if something has a use for it, write that list to a file and there you go. Toady seems to be programing in the lets make the code complex so it does cool things and makes it easier for me to do stuff later on or in the raws.

Dwarf fort 27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2010, 03:20:03 pm »

Does platinum usually appear around chalk?
cause i have lots of chalk, srry noob question.
I love playing this game, and i know how, i just feel like the biggest noob asking questions like this.

- dwarf fortress wiki

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2010, 03:43:59 pm »

Yes it does appear around chalk.

The long answer with the raw entries
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4