Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Platinum  (Read 4802 times)

Dwarf fort 27

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobles........those basterds
    • View Profile
Platinum
« on: March 14, 2010, 02:51:24 pm »

I have native platinum!!!! yaaayyy???
Its so damn heavy, i make toy crafts out of it but im only able to trade like 3 because of weight limits. What do you guys do with it?
cause i have LOTS   :P
"Dwarf Fortress" ... "Like chess, only with short people that can catch on fire like rags soaked in tar, and lots of booze." ... "Like chess." 

- dwarf fortress wiki

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
Re: Platinum
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 02:52:38 pm »

Yo have lots? Lucky bastard. Mostly I make valuable floodgates and the like out of it.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 02:57:20 pm »

I save native platinum and aluminum for strange moods. I have a ton of miners in my forts so the odds of getting a mood at a mason's workshop are very high.

Native platinum artifact furniture is awesome for room values.

Dwarf fort 27

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobles........those basterds
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 02:59:36 pm »

Yeah i like that i have a ton of it because...well its platinum who doesnt like it?  So should i turn it all into bars? and what should i mostly make out of it?
"Dwarf Fortress" ... "Like chess, only with short people that can catch on fire like rags soaked in tar, and lots of booze." ... "Like chess." 

- dwarf fortress wiki

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 03:09:31 pm »

Save a bit as stone for moods, but smelt most of it. Aside from modded metals and adamantine, I believe it's tied with aluminium as the most valuable regular metal with a mod of 40 (for reference, gold is 30). Platinum adds a very nice touch to furnishings of a noble of favoured dwarf's room. Don't waste it on toys, pricey as they'll be. It's a limited resource and caravans won't bring much even if you request it.

EliDupree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Eli Dupree's Web Page
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 03:17:29 pm »

I had a lot of native platinum on my last map. I used my Legendary+5 mason to build a lot of native platinum statues. (Don't make platinum statues - it costs three times as much. Also I didn't have a legendary metalsmith or magma.) Masterpiece (native) platinum statues send a room straight to Royal, so I just spammed them everywhere and had all Royal rooms (and a two-tile bedroom with one of the Exceptional ones is still Opulent.) The higher nobles didn't like it, but well, screw them anyway - it's really hard to micromanage the "pretentious arrangements of a lesser" thoughts, and the nobles will still be ecstatic with all the other stuff heaped upon them. Everyone was ecstatic and they always had "admired a completely sublime statue lately".

It's not terribly convenient to manage who uses the native platinum, though. I built a huge room (about 10x20) and hauled all the platinum I'd mined out into it, along with some food and drink, then built a mason's workshop in it, and locked my mason and two haulers in the room, then turned native platinum non-economic and ran it until there was no native platinum left.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 03:20:31 pm by EliDupree »

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 03:20:32 pm »

If you need the caravan to lose weight, Fast. Just buy heavy but cheap things from them. They carry lot's of heavy useless stuff (like stone blocks).
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

LoneJedi7

• Bay Watcher
  • The CaKE is A LIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 03:38:34 pm »

another good use for it is to just place random platinum bars into a nobles room to get them to quite wining about thier living space.
ℍ!Ξ[/[Θ]![ℍ∑▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 04:10:04 pm »

Keep it all as ore unless you really need something made of platinum the metal.  Most stuff you'd make out of platinum is producable by stone, as well, and the platinum ore is as valuable as the metal, but making metal furniture takes 3 bars for some odd reason.

I keep it all in a special stockpile where I can get a legendary mason to work on it, and turn them all into native platinum statues.

I am working on walling my entire great hall in native platinum masterwork statues for obscene room value.  40 (platinum) * 25 (statue) * 12 (masterwork) = 12000 + decoration bonuses per statue. 

Of course, you can always just import platinum bars from dwarf caravans.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 04:32:19 pm »

Keep a fair bit for bins if you want to make a convenient vault for visiting your fort as an adventurer later. Platinum bins are heavy enough not to move at all after abandoning or getting wiped out. Or blow it all on something silly if you have lead.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

smokingwreckage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 05:12:26 pm »

To control usage, get the Economic Stones mod. It's also included in Dig Dwarfier and Mayday graphics mod. It lets you turn ANY stone on or off for usage, via Stone menu in the Stocks screen. Then you set a mason's workshop for the exclusive use of your Legendary +5 Mason. Then you revel in the exceptional Native Platinum statues. Maybe also one each of other furniture to place in high traffic areas for dwarves to admire.

EliDupree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Eli Dupree's Web Page
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 05:17:47 pm »

To control usage, get the Economic Stones mod. It's also included in Dig Dwarfier and Mayday graphics mod. It lets you turn ANY stone on or off for usage, via Stone menu in the Stocks screen. Then you set a mason's workshop for the exclusive use of your Legendary +5 Mason. Then you revel in the exceptional Native Platinum statues. Maybe also one each of other furniture to place in high traffic areas for dwarves to admire.
Err, Native Platinum is already on the stone menu.

OcelotTango

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 05:34:42 pm »

Are native gold nuggets also the same value as their bar brethren?

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 05:55:07 pm »

had a platinum artifact floodgate once... doubled my fort's wealth... yeah it's that powerful.

I love putting platinum statues outside to show off my wealth to incoming traders.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 06:04:45 pm »

Make a native platinum mechanism, then build a well using it, preferably using a highly skilled building designer and mason. Watch as it boosts your Architecture wealth to ludicrous levels, since the design and construction quality will combine and multiply by the value of the mechanism (plus the other parts of the well).

Just to give an idea, in a previous fort, a masterfully designed and masterfully constructed well made from an artifact raw adamantine mechanism (1.95M), an artifact adamantine chain (1.46M), a masterwork adamantine bucket (36K), and adamantine blocks (1.5K) managed to boost my created wealth by over 80 million.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4